Welcome to Gaia! ::

Suffering a little anxiety regarding a job interview.

With a little insight, I'm twenty-two years old. I study in a rigorous fashion merchandising/business program offered through my college. I breathe this kinda stuff every day at school. We're highly advised to get retail experience, and I have worked in retail.

But I've only worked in craft stores. This is an apparel store. It's a higher-end store, marketing primarily to men.

My current job is working as a custom framer in a craft store, and if you know anything about custom framing: it's very visual, and on a more business level - you have to know how to sell. I actually kind of hate my job, not because it involves socializing with customers. I actually don't mind working with the customers, at all. What annoys me about the job is the messiness of it. The disorganization and chaos accompanied with working in production because I'm an overly organized person. Also my sales are down because I hardly get hours, and when I do, I can't shake the feeling of the job being more of an inconvenience than anything.

We also have to meet a sales quota whether we are part-time or full-time or seasonal. But there are times that I can meet them or exceed them in my short-lived shifts. I do favors for customers, and I help them as much as I can, and I've had customers find a manager and tell them how great I am. And sometimes I can't even make a sale at all because customers just don't want to pay hundreds of dollars to frame a $5 poster. It just seems kind of unrealistic and I don't care enough to persuade them otherwise if that's the case.

The offered job requires the same. They require meeting sales quotas, and are not just associates but "consultants." I did a lot of research on the company, as well as went to find their "lookbook" so I can see their styles.

I really want the job, I need the experience. However I feel anxious about it as well. I'm feel incompetent, and inexperienced. I don't want to be outwardly anxious. I want to go in feeling confident, and competent, despite my lack of experience in apparel retail.

Any tips to make me feel less anxious about it? Any tips regarding what to say in the interview? How to dress? Anything?
Oh, interviews? Those are easy. I remember my first few interviews. I had no idea how to act. I mean, I used manners and was very polite, but I had a constant grin that got to the point where it looked creepy(because I had no idea you weren't supposed to do that).

What really sets you apart from interviews, is confidence, and asking a s**t ton of questions. Even if you've done your homework, ask the same old question as if you haven't. Why? It makes you seem like you're wildly interested in the job.

The interview is basically all about you, so just take some deep breaths, pretend like you're the king/queen of your own country and that you're about to greet some of your subjects.

If you need further help on relieving anxiety before the interview, consider exercising. Specifically, running.

As far as dressing appropriately, it depends on the place you're being interviewed. What I used to do was go in to the place and just observe what the manager was wearing and then getting an idea of what was expected to be worn their. It never hurts to go casual business, but just make sure you don't over do it.

Questionable Prophet

Remember that the interviewer thinks you're qualified enough to interview. Plenty of peeps don't even get that far.
And s/he wants you to do well. They want to hire someone as soon as possible.

Good luck heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces