Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have a high pitched and soft voice, I get teased for it alot of times so I hardly talk to people at all. I have heard my voice on a recording device.. it sounds so annoying and the way I pronounce s**t annoying aswell. Excuse me for the bad language, as i'm just frustrated at how everyone's voice is better tgan mine. I'm 14, turning 15 in July, and my voice sounds like a little squeaker.. especially when im excited. emotion_facepalm
Its normal. A lot of people dont like hearing their own voice but you just get over it.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I feel you; I'm 15 and my voice is high pitched and squeaky. To put it into perspective; multiple friends have told me I sometimes sound like I come from an anime. emo
I don't think there is such thing as a voice transplant, so you're going to have to tough it out, as shitty as it is. If you just focus on the situation at hand, you don't need to worry about your voice, cause you'll be focused on everything else.
As for the people who tease you about it, ******** 'em. I like to retaliate to my friends teasing me by saying something like; "You're going to be squeaky after I kick you in the nuts." it kind of helps.
But if they're strangers, I just take pleasure in ignoring them and listening to them get mad. lol

Interesting Phantom

Ask someone you trust to give you advice if you want to improve your voice? Tell them if you can pitch yourself higher, lower, etc. or talk slower/faster, or emphasize more in your tone.

If you want to go for drastic measures, you can take singing lessons.
Stay hydrated so your voice sounds okay.
If you think you sound annoying, too high pitched, you probably do. And it may make you come across as immature and unconfident. Fortunately, there way things you can do train your voice. There are youtube videos about it.

High-functioning Otaku

9,500 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Streaker 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
ā™„

Pffft, it's cool. I'm a girl with a voice so low I get mistaken for a man over phone calls. I used to be insecure about it but I'm better now. I guess I realized since I'm not going into voice acting, public speaking, or the music industry it doesn't matter for me.

You're still young, your voice may change a bit in the years to come. Don't stress too much about it.

Funny story to cheer you up:
I work with children as young as 5. One day, a little boy was sitting next to me and out of the blue goes, "why is your voice so low?!" And I just reply, "I don't know. I was born that way, I guess!" And he goes, "oh, alright!" and turns back to listen to a story being told. The moral being that it doesn't really matter, most people (kids and adults alike) will accept you as your are. :]
ā™„

Bashful Bookworm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

What kind of accent do you have?
Is it different from where you are?

I used to get teased a lot for the way I talked. I couldn't pronounce some words very well. I'd try to say "Denver" and it would come out like "Denva"
or "strawberry" would come out like "stwabery"
And everyone would always ask if they weren't teasing me "what kind of accent do you have?" v

Everyone hates the way their voice sounds on a recording device.
When I hear myself I sound like I think I used to talk, though I feel like I'm pronouncing perfect english like everyone else around.

Seriously though, don't sweat it. Tell anyone teasing you to back off and leave you alone.
AS for the rest of it, just be mindful of how you're saying things.
Are you pronouncing them properly? and are you talking at a decent pace and not super fast?
That's really all that matters.
You'll get old and your voice will change a bit and you'll probably be happier with it then.
But until then just work with what you've got.

Beloved Muse

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Married 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Women's voices go through a subtle change as they age, and usually drop in pitch by the time they're in their mid-20s. So your voice won't sound like it does for life. You also are used to hearing it through the resonance of your sinus cavities, so hearing it on a recording is always a shock. But no-one's voice in real life sounds like it does on a recording. Recordings flatten voices out -- that's why audio engineers go through so much work to make recordings sound rich and resonant and pleasant to listen to. Recordings distort sound, so please don't take it too much to heart.

If you're really unhappy with your diction -- how you pronounce words, rather than your accent, which is the regional variation of dialect, pronunciation, and such -- then you can train your voice and improve it with lessons, speech and drama classes, or just watching and working with tutorials on YouTube. But I doubt you are anywhere near as annoying as you're afraid you are. Try slowing down and talking more from your chest voice than the high, squeaky head voice, and see if that improves how you feel about your voice.
Stephnananana

Thank you for the kind help and information ! Im feeling better than I was before. 4laugh
I'm from LuleƄ, Sweden, but due to personal reasons I had to move to the US. >_<
Oh, yeah. Its so much different. The people, the climate, especially the architecture!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff