Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

i got fat and now im covered in stretch marks, even on my calves and arms.
i know the only thing that fades them is time, but they make me sad *sigh*

does anyone know how long it takes for stretch marks to fade?

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
First, a lot of women have stretch marks. It happens during puberty and it's super-common. So please don't feel like this is a weird problem, or that it makes you less desirable. Yours might look different or be in different places, but nearly every woman has some.

Second, the time varies. Some people take a few months, some people take years. It helps to keep your skin moisturized, and vitamins A and E promote good skin health. There are creams to help with stretch marks, and while they're not magical, they might help you. Scar treatments containing silicone are among the most effective, although a lot of people get results from Mederma or simply cocoa butter. Treating your stretch marks will promote good healing, and they will eventually fade to the point where they're not really noticeable.

Fashionable Gaian

You could try Vasaline Intensive Care with Cocoa Butter, if you haven't already.
It's supposed to help with stretch marks.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
Cocoa butter is your best bet.
Stretch marks are normal for people who gain weight at a rapid pace, both men and women alike.
My fiance was a 90 pound scrawny dude in high school his Junior year.
He worked out all summer, and went up to 130 and bulked up.
Now he's got stretch marks on his back, but it doesn't change how much I love and desire him.
Also, I heard scratching them makes them worse (just heard, not sure about that).
So keep cocoa butter on you, and lotion them up when you're skin is dry and itchy!

Invisible Grabber

10,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
woah, they're ******** red! you should see a doctor!

Sparkly Lunatic

Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy, if you're willing to pay for it. (It runs around....$40?) I have marks on my inner thighs from ballet, and I was using Mederma before they came out with the stretch mark therapy, when it was just a scar cream, and it works amazingly. You can get it in drug stores or at Wal-Mart. Otherwise, I might ask your doctor what they think.
THE ULTIMATE DOOM
woah, they're ******** red! you should see a doctor!

Mine were like that too when I gained some weight. They faded into a lighter color in two months.

How come no one's recommended Bio Oil?

Dapper Informer

owo
Mine were never that red when they first started to show.
Crazy.
I'm naturally kinda tan from native blood, so wonder if they just show like that because of skin tones.

Anyway.. They'll fade over time. So unless you're planning to wear clothes that shows your tummy.. I say just give it time.

If you are. Try what everyone is saying.. I have no input because I've never been bothered by mine.

Shameless Gawker

Don't worry, most people get those. They start off really dark and visible, but then fade as they get older.

Beloved Sex Symbol

!d!ot Amer!ca
Cocoa butter is your best bet.
Stretch marks are normal for people who gain weight at a rapid pace, both men and women alike.
My fiance was a 90 pound scrawny dude in high school his Junior year.
He worked out all summer, and went up to 130 and bulked up.
Now he's got stretch marks on his back, but it doesn't change how much I love and desire him.
Also, I heard scratching them makes them worse (just heard, not sure about that).
So keep cocoa butter on you, and lotion them up when you're skin is dry and itchy!

Scratching doesn't make them worse. If it did mine would be red and horrible all the time.

Beloved Sex Symbol

Op, don't worry about them, they will fade. Mine aren't even all that noticeable anymore. You will be able to see them when you move the right way in the light, and don't worry when anyone says anything because they probably have them too.
You are brave for posting that pic and I am so happy to see so many positive responses. I still get shocked when people are nice, lol. I have stretch marks on my behind. My ex used to say that they just mean there's a lot there to enjoy! I don't like the way they look but my hubby hasn't said anything about them. He has some stretch marks on his arms and tummy. My ex had them, too. So I agree with everybody else, it's pretty normal. Sorry if this sounds weird, but honestly, your marks look sorta like tiger stripes and I think it's cool! wink

Tipsy Hunter

7,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
There's creams and things that can help them go away, but there's also plenty of people who will love you despite having stretch marks.
I know people that got stretch marks from just their natural growth. You can find someone who loves you despite them.
Working out helped me.

Tipsy Prophet

After having my son, my torso looks like the French countryside after WWII: battle scared. Some of them even "split open" before I had him. My boobs, stomach, thighs, calfs, and butt all have strtch marks. Mederma did help a little bit, but no more than cocoa butter. Exercise helps tone and tighten the skin, too. Eventually, they will fade to a silvery-white color. They never go away 100%. I've noticed some dramatic fading in 9 months. They aren't red anymore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff