Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am three weeks late on my period and usually they are exactly like clockwork. I use the pill (though I missed one but not even by a full 24 hours) and my boyfriend almost always pulls out. No, I don't believe my method is infallible.

Anyway, today I took two pregnancy tests. One I took shortly before 4. This one turned out negative. I put it away and went back to work. I went to show my friend my negative result about an hour later and it was positive and looked exactly like this:

User Image

I started panicking and my friend suggested we go get another test (the last one was bought at CVS and this one was from Kroger, both store brand, though the CVS was an Early Result one) that one turned out a very faint negative like this:

User Image
I don't know which test to trust! I have one more test left and intend on taking it first thing in the morning. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is it more likely that I'm pregnant or not pregnant?

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
While in general a fake neg can happen but a false pos cannot, the problem is that it was a while after. And so I dont really know if you can trust it. I dont know why you kept it when it was a neg to show her anyways...

Then you get into the fact that you changed brands so the one that was preg was a first response one but the other one isnt so it may have picked it up better.
Yes, take the next one first thing in the morning! In the morning before you've eaten or drank anything is when you can expect them to be most accurate.
I've read that if you leave a negative pregnancy test out it can change to a positive reading due to the test strip being soaked down to the hormone detector.

The only thing that throws me off is the period...if you haven't had any other pregnancy symptoms then maybe something else is causing the late period? Either way 3 weeks late is excessive and I would go to your doctor and talk to them about it. If the pill is messing with your period you can change to a new one, and if you are actually pregnant the doctor can do a blood test so you can know for sure.

Good luck dear, I hope things work out for you. *hug*
Three weeks late is quite late, and the line is faint. To be frank, I would think you're pregnant.

Take a pregnancy test as soon as you wake up in the morning when you go to the bathroom. You get a more accurate reading that way.

I would go ahead and schedule an appointment with your doctor about getting a blood pregnancy test. If you don't have insurance, there's probably a clinic around you that will do it for free.

Hilarious Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The only way to be 100% sure at this point would be to go to the doctor and get a blood test.

Don't freak out about though! That'll make your body react in weird ways.
Most pregnancy tests will say something along the lines of "only read results for X minutes". If it said negative to start with the positive hours later doesn't matter. If you are really concerned take a new one in the morning.

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
It may have been an evaporation line, since you looked at it an hour later.
Try again in the morning.

Rainbow Dog

You're generally not supposed to look at a test if it's been awhile since you took it. The only results that you can put any weight on is the one that shows up within the time the instructions say it should.

If you feel unsure, find a planned parenthood, they will perform a free pregnancy test and will let you know right there what your result is or go to your regular doctor and get a test there.
You're probably not pregnant. Never look at a pregnancy test twice, they wear off and show who knows what after about 10 minutes. Take another test in the morning if you want to be sure, but you're probably just stressing yourself out for no reason.

Enduring Paladin

14,825 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Tycoon 200
Here's what I found on false positives. But I think you should go to your doctor to be 100% sure. Hope this helps, and things work out.

There could be various reasons for a false positive test.
Chemical Pregnancy
A chemical pregnancy is basically an early miscarriage. Research has shown that half of all first pregnancies end in miscarriage. Due to the high sensitivity of home pregnancy tests, many women catch early pregnancies but end up going on to have their periods due to a chemical pregnancy.

Missed Reaction Time
For accuracy in home pregnancy tests it is essential that you read the test results in the stipulated reaction time. If you let the test sit for too long (after the instructions on the box tell you), the test is invalid. This may cause it to show false positive results.

Chemical Interference
Drugs that have the pregnancy hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in them can cause incorrect results in home pregnancy tests. The Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in them may be responsible for the false positive pregnancy test. If you have had an HCG shot due to infertilty treatments, you need to be sure the shot is out of your system before you attempt to use early pregnancy tests.

Evaporation Lines
While technically not a true pregnancy, some pregnancy tests leave a faint evaporation line as the urine crosses the test. This faint very light grey evaporation line in the test area is often interpretted as a positive result.

AimStrip pregnancy test strips have a very good reputation of NOT leaving evaporation lines and are much less expensive than brands you can buy in your local supermarket or drug store.

If you are not sure about your home pregnancy results it is recommended that you try again after a couple of days. If doubts regarding the results still persist, you must see a doctor for a pregnancy blood test. A blood test administered by your doctor is more sensitive than the early home tests and can be taken between seven and twelve days after you conceive.
never use blue dye tests again. Blue dye is known for evap lines. You MUST never read a test after the given amount of time, because of evap lines.

I would get a digital or even a dollar store pink/red dye test. They would be better than any blue dye

Adorable Fatcat

lol, you cannot save pregnancy tests for later. xd The test is only valid within the time frame put forth in the directions. Take the other test in the morning, but I'm pretty sure it will also come out negative.

Timid Bloodsucker

7,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Citizen 200
Try getting a blood test off your GP. That, or a slightly pricier pregnancy test.

Salty Raider

16,175 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Trader 100
RajaLady
dollar store pink/red dye test. They would be better than any blue dye

Dollar General uses pink/red on theirs, and I've never gotten a wrong result. XD I *ALWAYS* had issues with blue dye.

Shameless Exhibitionist

Do not trust the shown result of a pregnancy test after the alloted five minutes. If a test turns positive within five minutes then most likely you are pregnant. However, after an hour, i would not trust the displayed result.Though if you reach week four of no period, call you OB and set up an appointment so they can do a blood test.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff