Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do we have a right to be concerned?

Yes 1 100.0% [ 49 ]
No 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 49 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

Tipsy Lunatic

It's always fun to imagine how people like this hook up and end up getting married.

User Image

You should totally have them locked up and bury the key in Siberia.
She's a nut, call social services.

Magical Tree

BlackRoseoftheSea
Maternal Muffin
Valtiel the Watcher
Has she ever been committed?

She was when she was living with her father (on the other side of the country), for suicide attempts and threats of homicide.

Her husband was, too, committed when he was in high school for attempting suicide in the bathroom by overdosing on a bunch of pills. His reason? His girlfriend left him.
yep, sounds like BPD, probably for the both of them

Agreed. Borderline.
It's like they're the best-worst couple ever.

Borg

This involves an infant. As a result, this has gone past merely delusional and weird to "danger to self and others."

A couple of options come to mind.

First, if you're there and sense there's something going on that's putting the child in immediate danger, call the police. Press for a psychiatric evaluation rather than criminal charges. This includes something like a situation where you offer to change the baby and see scratches, bruises, burns, or something else.

Second, if this woman is as nuts as you suggest, look into what's required at the local and state level for an involuntary evaluation. Contact your local mental health center for additional guidance if you need help understanding specifics of local and state laws. Usually, this requires going before a judge who will make the determination.

I'll warn you now that family and friends tend to back down really quickly when it comes to something like this...do not expect too much help if you pursue this. If you get that help, good, but be prepared for them to suddenly back out. So, document everything you can...print out weird Facebook posts and status updates, emails, keep a log of calls, etc. Highlight the appropriate sections for easy identification.

Realize, too, the majority of what you've described is weird, but it's not actionable (see Tumblr). Her potential dancing ability, perceived friendships with celebrities, and demon blood are not necessarily harmful delusions within reason.

Instead, I'm responding specifically to your concerns about the well-being of their infant and what you've relayed about her threats and self-reported behaviors during her pregnancy.

Think carefully, too, about what your goal is: a safe and healthy environment for her infant under the care of her parents (if at all possible). As I mentioned above, this isn't about their beliefs except where they endanger the child's life and well-being. This is strictly about ensuring their infant has a chance at making it to adulthood where she can decide on her own path.

Please keep us updated on what happens.

Blessed Friend

3,375 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
If your cousin is truly a demon, then she must be banished back to the Darkness which she was spawned of. Read this chant in her presence

En la nomo de Jahaja , Reĝino de la Tero kaj la Ĉielo , kaj En la Nomo de la Potencoj Benata estu , mi vokos al la purigado Potencoj ekzili tiu infano de mallumo , sur la lokon de la malbono. Tero , Fajro , Vento , Akvo , Lumo , Suno , Luno , Steloj, fari mian volon ! El mia vizaĝo ! El cxi tiu loko ! Liberigo !

If not, however, she most likely needs help

Blessed Prophet

She sounds like she has schizophrenia and or narcissistic personality disorder, or a combination of the two.

Either way she needs help and that baby needs to be taken away from her and her husband.

Consumer

Shark Bacon
I don't think the bizarre ritual s**t is grounds to call CPS

as long as that bizarre ritual doesn't involve sacrificing babies or something.

i know, i know, formal satanists dont do that. but batshit people like this do.

Divine Queen Jahaja
If your cousin is truly a demon, then she must be banished back to the Darkness which she was spawned of. Read this chant in her presence

En la nomo de Jahaja , Reĝino de la Tero kaj la Ĉielo , kaj En la Nomo de la Potencoj Benata estu , mi vokos al la purigado Potencoj ekzili tiu infano de mallumo , sur la lokon de la malbono. Tero , Fajro , Vento , Akvo , Lumo , Suno , Luno , Steloj, fari mian volon ! El mia vizaĝo ! El cxi tiu loko ! Liberigo !

If not, however, she most likely needs help

rofl

Consumer

thewaitingtree
BlackRoseoftheSea
Maternal Muffin
Valtiel the Watcher
Has she ever been committed?

She was when she was living with her father (on the other side of the country), for suicide attempts and threats of homicide.

Her husband was, too, committed when he was in high school for attempting suicide in the bathroom by overdosing on a bunch of pills. His reason? His girlfriend left him.
yep, sounds like BPD, probably for the both of them

Agreed. Borderline.
It's like they're the best-worst couple ever.

man, and they reproduced, too. what makes you guys say borderline? i thought that meant they were like on the edge of being crazy?

seriously, i know this isn't politically correct and all, but that kind of stuff bothers me. i think really crazy people should probably not be allowed to have kids or they should have lots of tests if they do -- and two crazy people together? nope.

then again, i don't know jack about this so maybe i'm wrong.

Adorable Fisher

CPS definitely needs to be called. Take it from a former pediatric nurse. Have you and your family document these instances, maybe even record her and her husband saying these things. Save that e-mail where she sent you the picture and talked about her daughter being a demon. Any legitimate (time documented) evidence you can gather, gather it, and take it to CPS. That child absolutely needs to be put into another family member's care until at least the parents are seen to mentally and are in treatment and understand their actions endanger the welfare of the child and are on the road to mental recovery by however their professionals deem and the court deems.

It is not healthy for the child to be raised in a home when she is constantly been compared to and called a "child demon" and where her parents think they are anything but human. It could create delusions in the child, make her a target for bullying, and cause her to have illusions of grandeur among other unhealthy things. She is a child, a child, a child. A human baby. What if they think she is immortal as well? That is too dangerous. What if they will or have performed "rituals" on her, too? We don't want that to happen.

I don't know what is mentally wrong with your cousin and her husband, could be anything from delusional thinking to childish behavior to schizophrenia on the most serious end of the scale or combinations of mental illnesses.

Start gathering evidence now, I'm telling you.

Since she also has former commitments for suicidal behavior and other things, your case is a lot stronger than if she just started doing this out of the blue. It means she has a history of erratic and serious mental illness or troubling mental behavior. She at the very least needs to be evaluated by a psychologist before her child is given back to her.

CPS also needs to come in and check to see if their house is healthy for a child to live in, citing that cat pee. Is the house a mess, too? If so, doubly so they need to check it.

For now, all you and your family can do is call CPS to see if you need to gather evidence and also gather that evidence anyway to make your case stronger. Go with "she has a history of mental illness where she was committed to a facility, and now she is saying her new baby is a demon child because she is convinced she is a demon as well. Her husband, the baby's father, thinks he turned her into a demon through a ritual that he did to her. We are very worried for the baby's welfare and safety. Also, their house still reeks of cat pee and they do not take care of the house. The mother will not lift a finger to clean, and the husband does not either. We are worried for both the sanitary condition of the house for the child and also how the mother and father are convinced she is a demon child born to demon parents even though she is just a regular little baby. They are unable to see that she is a regular little baby, and these delusions are not a game for them but they are convinced it is reality. We are willing to gather the evidence we have of such, if needed."

Do it now. You have no way of knowing what kind of mental illnesses you're dealing with, so there is no reason to speculate, just getting that child some help right now. You can however cite the illnesses/diagnoses/symptoms she was diagnosed with at the time of her commitment.

You and your family can offer to babysit as often as possible as well. With the mother who does not like to do anything responsible, there is a chance she would jump on those offers of help. This way, you and your family can monitor the baby and make sure she is at least getting healthy treatment at your houses.

You mentioned that she hit herself in the stomach when she was pregnant when she was angry as well, correct? Definitely definitely cite that in your list of evidence that she is a harm to herself and possibly to the baby as well since she was certainly hurting the baby when she did that, not caring for the welfare of her child due to her emotional issues at the time.

You should have all the adults in your family call CPS, because the more of you there are saying there is a serious problem in their household the stronger your case will be.
CPS has already been there and nothing happened?
Keep calling them. They have to go check it out if they get a call and after they get a certain amount of calls, they have no choice but to intervene.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
Well since she's both above the age of 5 and a goddamn mother, call the men in white coats RIGHT NOW.

Also the baby should be taken away or to your or one of your (obviously saner and concerned than your mad cousin) family member's custody.

8,575 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Holy ******** s**t, that is a goddamn nutter butter.
And I thought my ex fiancee believing he's a vampire and assassin of a vampire council was bad (he seems to have left that s**t behind in high school thank God).

Do you think this ritual stuff is grounds for another call to CPS?
Only if they're hurting the baby (which, I wouldn't be surprised if they are).
They can't take away a kid for "religious beliefs" if they aren't actually hurting them.
(I know that you're not doctors, but I'm asking this anyway) From your point of view, does this sound like Schizophrenia?
Sounds more like BPD to me, but I have no ******** clue.
Don't got a degree in doctorology.
What do you suggest we should do?
Keep a close eye on them and their kid.
The first signs you see of any form of abuse or neglect with evidence, call CPS.
Every single time.
That is a must since in my personal experience they love to drag their asses about doing anything when there's an actual emergency.
Also, let them know she admitted to hitting her stomach back when she was pregnant after arguments with her husband and voice concern that she might be hitting the actual baby now.

Wealthy Hoarder

There is a thing called a well fair check where if you call the police worried about a loved one they will check up on them.

Given the fact that this baby isn't in the best of places I think this is your next step.

You're cousin...Shes...crazy..(beyond really)

Shirtless Detective

7,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
scrapist
It's always fun to imagine how people like this hook up and end up getting married.

User Image

You should totally have them locked up and bury the key in Siberia.

This is the best. LOL. I needed that laugh.

Shirtless Detective

7,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
raggedy grrl
This involves an infant. As a result, this has gone past merely delusional and weird to "danger to self and others."

A couple of options come to mind.

First, if you're there and sense there's something going on that's putting the child in immediate danger, call the police. Press for a psychiatric evaluation rather than criminal charges. This includes something like a situation where you offer to change the baby and see scratches, bruises, burns, or something else.

Second, if this woman is as nuts as you suggest, look into what's required at the local and state level for an involuntary evaluation. Contact your local mental health center for additional guidance if you need help understanding specifics of local and state laws. Usually, this requires going before a judge who will make the determination.

I'll warn you now that family and friends tend to back down really quickly when it comes to something like this...do not expect too much help if you pursue this. If you get that help, good, but be prepared for them to suddenly back out. So, document everything you can...print out weird Facebook posts and status updates, emails, keep a log of calls, etc. Highlight the appropriate sections for easy identification.

Realize, too, the majority of what you've described is weird, but it's not actionable (see Tumblr). Her potential dancing ability, perceived friendships with celebrities, and demon blood are not necessarily harmful delusions within reason.

Instead, I'm responding specifically to your concerns about the well-being of their infant and what you've relayed about her threats and self-reported behaviors during her pregnancy.

Think carefully, too, about what your goal is: a safe and healthy environment for her infant under the care of her parents (if at all possible). As I mentioned above, this isn't about their beliefs except where they endanger the child's life and well-being. This is strictly about ensuring their infant has a chance at making it to adulthood where she can decide on her own path.

Please keep us updated on what happens.

-I don't have anyone to back me up to begin with except for her father, who's on the other side of the country. Her immediate family hasn't done anything to try to get her issues under control. It's terrible.
Thank you. Very, very helpful advice. I will keep you all updated.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff