Welcome to Gaia! ::

Has anyone else felt this way?

About 3 weeks ago, I quit my job because it was incredibly stressful and my boss treated me like dirt. Despite loving what I did, I could not handle being yelled at constantly for every minor thing that went wrong. Ever since, I've been job hunting, or at least trying to.

For about 2 days, I was really positive, getting a lot done, and feeling really good about it. Then all of a sudden, I woke up on the 3rd day and just felt incredibly...sad. I tried to keep up my productivity, but now ever since that day, every time I try to look for jobs, all I keep thinking is, "What's the point? What makes me think I'm any more qualified than someone else for this job? What's so special about me?" It doesn't help that I haven't heard anything from the places I've applied to, even though I've followed up with each one to make sure they received my resume & cover letter.

I have no reason to feel this way. I have had many wonderful opportunities in the past and worked in places where I was told I was one of their most valuable employees. I wasn't fired from my most recent job, I chose to leave, yet I feel incredibly worthless and undeserving of finding other opportunities.

Part of me thinks that I might be clinically depressed and need to seek help, but the other part of me feels like it isn't depression because I've only had these feelings for about 2 weeks, not years like most people do when they have depression, and I might just be in a rut.

Has anyone else struggled with these kinds of feelings, especially while trying to seek employment? I would love some advice on how you got over it...Just to know there's a light at the end of this tunnel.

Thanks

nuGen Staff Shade

4,950 Points
  • nuGen Staff 25
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Demonic Associate 100
Many have fault like that, to be honest.

Looking at the situation though, you did a positive note by taking yourself out of a atmosphere that could bring you down. Of course, with the economy at the current moment, finding another job will prove to be difficult but there will be a break for you, you just have to remember to think positive. Stay on top of the applications that you’ve turned it, not to the point where you would be considered bothersome, but at least extremely interested.

Maybe you could also view this as a chance to expand your education. Despite loving the previous job that you held, maybe there is a career field that interested you and now might be a chance to return to school and try to obtain what you need to enter into that field.

No matter what, there will always, always be a light at the end of the tunnel to guide you over the bumpy road that will be used as an obstacle.
You dont have to haave clinical depression to have times where you are down. Especially since you likely are getting this because of the fact you are jobless, not really like it came out of nowhere.

Treat yourself though.

Liberal Sex Symbol

It's fairly common, the job market still sucks and even retail positions are hard to come by, especially if you happen to be educated. The job-releated depression just seems to hit you very hard and fast. Are you the type of person that derives their value from their job?

Best you can do for yourself is to take care of yourself, keep busy, exercise, spend time with people, and if you can't work for cash, help work for free (i.e, volunteering). It'll give you something to do, something to feel that gives you value and drive, and it will look good on a resume when you can say you've been doing good while you're unemployed rather than sit at home.

But a thing to remember is that we don't have any inherent value. Especially in the business world. From our own self-confidence we assert our value, our skills, and our talent. So you have the mindset all wrong. It's not about "What's so special about me?". It should be. "I'm great at X, Y, and Z. And I'm a damn good choice for your future employee if you want to get things done."

Witty Sex Symbol

9,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Girl let me tell you my story.

It wasn't too long ago that I was an apple cheeked young man who finished university and got his Bachelor's in Admin Studies with a Business Admin - Finance College Diploma already under my belt.

So I job hunted for 3 months until I found a mediocre position in some third rate paint product company. I was the entirety of the Credits department you see making a meager 30k. Same as you I got treated like s**t. All the employees and my employer was female. Being the only male made it additionally awkward. I got let go after they were through with me.

I was back to job hunting and becoming increasingly depressed. I remember running across the street as I burst into tears crying like a b***h for being unemployed and struggling as I had to get my a** to Staples to send my documents over to some Temp Agency that may or may not get me a job. I didn't have a car at this time so I had to bus my a** to and from.

I got a job alright but for $12.00/hour. Much less then what I was making before. The company is excellent. People are good to me. I was given a full time position for 34.5k. Slowly but surely I'm climbing that corporate ladder.

Frankly I don't care anymore. I'm a survivor. I'm not a fighter. I'm not ambitious. I say ******** it and make the best of it.

I also never dated and no girl has ever given me notice in my day to day life. I would cry like a b***h about that to but I don't care anymore.

I have money for what I need it for and more is coming once I put in my year's worth of work.

Nothing else matters.

So cheer up.

You're only ******** if you give up on the thing that keeps you alive which is money.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff