Welcome to Gaia! ::

Celebrating Reveler

Avalar75
User Image ζɑʂɦʊɾȉ Ҁɦɑɳ User Image

I mean yeah you can do whatever you want with it if you don't like it. But it's just an a*****e thing to do.

^Basically this.

Like, sure you CAN, it's just super unclassy tbh.
I guess just make sure the person who gave it to you doesn't know about it? :/

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pannuh
Lilith_Lilium
Pannuh
There are so many factors that go into it that it's hard to say for sure. Who gave it to you, how close are the two of you, what is it, what's it worth, and how much are you selling it for? Overall, yeah, it's a pretty douchebag thing to do. If you really want to know whether or not it's okay, ask the person who gave it to you. If you feel like you can't ask them, then don't sell it.

Then what, throw it away or give it to someone else? It's unreasonable to expect someone to keep material items that are just going to create clutter and unfair to call it a douchebag thing to do if they get rid of the item.

Unreasonable to expect someone to keep a gift? Unfair to think it's a douchebag thing to get rid of a gift? Okay then. Also, I did say there are many factors that go into determining (for me personally) whether or not it's okay to get rid of or sell a gift. The thought of just selling a gift? Seems pretty much like a douchebag thing to me.

This is why money or buying/giving an experience to immediately enjoy make better gifts than material items. There's a point when having a bunch of material items you don't use is just weighing down on one's life with it being clutter.

If you need money more than the gift, then you got use out of the gift that they gave rather than being wasteful by throwing it away. The money one gets from the gift sold becomes the gift. The giver should have the maturity to understand things like this instead of burdening others they're supposed to care about with clutter. People have a limited amount of space and they down size their possessions they don't use or need or else it just becomes a mess. Instead, a giver should develop a realistic expectations of how their gift may be enjoyed or they should ask what sort of gift they would like to get.

Throwing it away is worse with the resources of it being wasted and not being environmentally friendly. A person could also donate it or give it away to someone else. Really, the result is the same with the item no longer being in the possession of the receiver.
It is a subjective question, but the facts are:
1. It was given to you, so you own it.
2. Since you own it, you can do whatever you want with it.

My personal opinion? You don't want it. It is only going to sit there and collect dust. You might as well do something useful with it, and if you think you can make some money from it, you might as well sell it.
Lilith_Lilium
Pannuh
Lilith_Lilium
Pannuh
There are so many factors that go into it that it's hard to say for sure. Who gave it to you, how close are the two of you, what is it, what's it worth, and how much are you selling it for? Overall, yeah, it's a pretty douchebag thing to do. If you really want to know whether or not it's okay, ask the person who gave it to you. If you feel like you can't ask them, then don't sell it.

Then what, throw it away or give it to someone else? It's unreasonable to expect someone to keep material items that are just going to create clutter and unfair to call it a douchebag thing to do if they get rid of the item.

Unreasonable to expect someone to keep a gift? Unfair to think it's a douchebag thing to get rid of a gift? Okay then. Also, I did say there are many factors that go into determining (for me personally) whether or not it's okay to get rid of or sell a gift. The thought of just selling a gift? Seems pretty much like a douchebag thing to me.

This is why money or buying/giving an experience to immediately enjoy make better gifts than material items. There's a point when having a bunch of material items you don't use is just weighing down on one's life with it being clutter.

If you need money more than the gift, then you got use out of the gift that they gave rather than being wasteful by throwing it away. The money one gets from the gift sold becomes the gift. The giver should have the maturity to understand things like this instead of burdening others they're supposed to care about with clutter. People have a limited amount of space and they down size their possessions they don't use or need or else it just becomes a mess. Instead, a giver should develop a realistic expectations of how their gift may be enjoyed or they should ask what sort of gift they would like to get.

Throwing it away is worse with the resources of it being wasted and not being environmentally friendly. A person could also donate it or give it away to someone else. Really, the result is the same with the item no longer being in the possession of the receiver.

This is why I always give a person money, take them out to somewhere we will both enjoy, and/or ask them what they want as a gift.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff