Welcome to Gaia! ::

puramuu's Senpai

13,975 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
College depends on what you want to do with your life. For instance, the job I want requires a PhD so obviously I'm going to go to school. So figure out where you want your life to go before deciding if college is worth it.

Original Gaian

8,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
College can be difficult. I would say the best bet is to work and go to school at the same time. That is what I am doing. I am currently a nursing student. As a few have stated some jobs require further education and others don't. My career choice being in the medical field requires further schooling. So I am working full time and going to school full time or as close to full time as possible. It's difficult. But you know what? I'm living on my own with my spouse living life. The economy is down and we're both doing what we can. There is still plenty of deciding to do and my husband, like yourself will be going back to school for computer sciences. He will be going part time and working as he determines exactly where in computers he wishes to be.

College isn't always worth it. A great example has already been stated. I have a friend that went to college right out of high school for a career path that is hardly staying above surface as far as job and career opportunities go. This person also has absolutely no work experience, not even a part time minimum wage job to look at on their resume. They are having an incredibly hard time finding work right now.

Hype Master

18,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
TBH, only go to college if you are serious about pursuing a career that -needs- a college education; i.e. Engineering, Nursing, Accounting, Business Management, etc.

Also, do not spend more on education than you will make in one years salary out of college. So, if you're spending 40k out of pocket/loans for school, make sure that the degree you're pursuing leads to a job that will pay 40k/year the first year out.

Best of luck to you. Wish I had waited on college, or made better choices about my education. It's a societal pressure, but not one that's always the right decision or necessary for a career.

Truthful Friend

9,800 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I'm in the same boat but finishing your college degree will give you a better chance of getting a job.

Good luck

Wheezing Fatcat

What Nawty Nazi said, completely.

Getting a degree doesn't mean you automatically get a good paying job. Even with a degree you still have to start at the bottom jobs.

How do you plan on going to school if you don't have a car or money?
Arcobelano
Ok im a senior this year, blah blah. My SAT score was a 1360 over all(includes writing portion) with my highest math and reading scores being 560 and 410. I know my SAT scores arnt great and im deciding if i want to retake it for the third time around this time. Is college honestly worth the debt and considering the unemployment rate of college grad's im wondering what i should do at this point.

I dont have a car nor do i have my liscence yet so that makes getting around to find jobs harder, and even if i do find one the commute would be pretty tedious and long, my parents havent saved any money for college at all. I just feel annoyed and irritated considering all the things that i want to do and the actual reality. Im trying my hardest in school, harder than i've ever been before in my school career, and im actually involving myself into misc school activities.

Honestly what is college going to do for me in this day and age besides a better shot at being the 1 percent? yeah, yeah i know its a higher education and i already know what my major is going to be but will it be worth it in the long run, in this day and age?

advice about anything i just said would help me.
Trust me, just about every other person 18-20 is thinking this exact thing. Colleges charge 25-40k for you to get a piece of paper that thousands of other people are getting on the same damn day as you xD Most majors that truly require you to learn specific skills will take longer than 4 years and have additional certificates/exams you must go through (Law/Accounting/Medical/Science). I love how the comradery of graduation disguises how you're actually standing amongst every other person who will competing against you for a job lol.

But yes, go to college, get that crap over with, you won't be sorry per se. You will regret it if you don't go do it though. My mom hasn't saved any college money for me. No one I know has parents who did that. Take a student loan, or if your family has low income, get some money from FAFSA.

Get the degree and in the meantime you can get a job to pay for bus rides or get a motorcycle or save up for a car. If you've ever had a minimum wage job though, like I have, you'll REALLY be motivated to get a degree lol. You do not want an idiot jerk to be your boss for the rest of your life because you're stuck at a minimum wage job taking s**t from everyone. I'd much rather take my chances on college and , worst comes to worst, I might end up at a stressful job that I hate but at least I'll be getting paid a lot more.

And yes, having a degree will help make your pay days happier days.
little aishi chan
Arcobelano
little aishi chan
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Well you will get paid more just from having that piece of paper. And as for debt goes, your fasa can always pay for it. They should have a list of programs they cover.

fasa or fafsa?

User Image

Financial aid rolleyes
Financial aid is mainly student loans = debt. You can get bursaries but they are usually smaller and you have competition to get them. Both forms of aid also expect you to make a contribution to your costs as well, be it from working or from your parents.
Edit: I'm from Canada, idk if it's any different in the US.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
me-maybe-not
little aishi chan
Arcobelano
little aishi chan
User Image

Well you will get paid more just from having that piece of paper. And as for debt goes, your fasa can always pay for it. They should have a list of programs they cover.

fasa or fafsa?

User Image

Financial aid rolleyes
Financial aid is mainly student loans = debt. You can get bursaries but they are usually smaller and you have competition to get them. Both forms of aid also expect you to make a contribution to your costs as well, be it from working or from your parents.

User Image

Maybe where you're from, but not the college I go to.
little aishi chan
me-maybe-not
little aishi chan
Arcobelano
little aishi chan
User Image

fasa or fafsa?

User Image

Financial aid rolleyes

User Image

Maybe where you're from, but not the college I go to.
Then, you're extremely lucky.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces