Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ok im a senior this year, blah blah. My SAT score was a 1360 over all(includes writing portion) with my highest math and reading scores being 560 and 410. I know my SAT scores arnt great and im deciding if i want to retake it for the third time around this time. Is college honestly worth the debt and considering the unemployment rate of college grad's im wondering what i should do at this point.

I dont have a car nor do i have my liscence yet so that makes getting around to find jobs harder, and even if i do find one the commute would be pretty tedious and long, my parents havent saved any money for college at all. I just feel annoyed and irritated considering all the things that i want to do and the actual reality. Im trying my hardest in school, harder than i've ever been before in my school career, and im actually involving myself into misc school activities.

Honestly what is college going to do for me in this day and age besides a better shot at being the 1 percent? yeah, yeah i know its a higher education and i already know what my major is going to be but will it be worth it in the long run, in this day and age?

advice about anything i just said would help me.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Well you will get paid more just from having that piece of paper. And as for debt goes, your fasa can always pay for it. They should have a list of programs they cover.
go to a vocational school
little aishi chan
User Image

Well you will get paid more just from having that piece of paper. And as for debt goes, your fasa can always pay for it. They should have a list of programs they cover.

fasa or fafsa?

Dapper Ladykiller

11,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Hygienic 200
Going to school is important. And if you're worried about the unemployment rate of college grads-look at the unemployment for people who didn't go to college.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Arcobelano
little aishi chan
User Image

fasa or fafsa?

User Image

Financial aid rolleyes

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
A degree isn't so much useful as it is a sort of 'ticket' into better paying jobs. There are jobs out there. A lot of people are fairly picky about where and what they want to work though.
A degree in basically anything opens more doors for you then anything else. Look at local career type job postings, most ask for at least a bachelors. My dad got passed over last time there was a promotion at his work because he doesn't have a degree.

My mom's friend is getting a bachelors in criminal justice to work in a museum because they said she needed a degree in anything and she thought that sounded fun.
I understand why you're skeptical. I've been out of college for a year. Most of my friends are still waiting tables or working retail. A few got lucky and landed nice jobs, and a quite a few are working on graduate programs. It can seem pretty bleak.

That being said, having a college degree still give you a huge advantage. Virtually every $10/hr receptionist job I've seen posted on Craiglist requires a college degree. I may be working retail right now, but I'm still working in my industry and will hopefully be able to get something that pays enough to live on eventually. In the meantime, having a college degree will give me a boost incase I want to climb the ladder with the company I'm working for, which means more money.

It may seem discouraging, but it will help you out.
Arcobelano
little aishi chan
User Image

fasa or fafsa?

FAFSA. Fill it out.
freelance lover
Arcobelano
little aishi chan
User Image

fasa or fafsa?

FAFSA. Fill it out.

i read about it last night, and your supposed to wait until the first of january to apply for the school year your going to enroll for college.
i went to college for a while, then decided i hated my major and now i have no idea what i want to do.
military seems like the best choice to me, ******** college.
Arcobelano
freelance lover
Arcobelano
little aishi chan
User Image

fasa or fafsa?

FAFSA. Fill it out.

i read about it last night, and your supposed to wait until the first of january to apply for the school year your going to enroll for college.

That's correct. Fill it out ASAP. Some of the stuff you may not know, since it will come off your tax forms that you won't get until March when you file your taxes, but estimate it as much as you can, since you can always go back and edit it. The sooner you apply, the more aid you're likely to get.

Loiterer

User ImageIn your particular situation, I would say that no college is not worth it.

Go get yourself a minimum wage job and work it enough while living with family/friends until you have enough money saved up to at the very least buy and maintain a car.
Only once you get to that point should you consider higher learning.

Aside from the whole car thing, what do you want to do for a living? Do you want a desk/office job in a corporate office? Is what you want to do highly specialized?

If you want to skip out on college all together but you do want a skilled job that pays well, go to a trade school. Be an HVAC tech, electrician, plumber, or auto mechanic. All these jobs have schools that are around 3 months long. You end up with a certificate and then you apprentice under someone. It takes experience and work but your income will be decent and you will not be in debt. (Especially as an HVAC tech. Those ******** make bank)

Now, if you want a desk/office/corporate job then yeah, you'll need a degree in something. But aside from that, (IN MY OPINION) it's a waste of money if you have expectations in a career choice that is deviating from the norm.
Bornes
User ImageIn your particular situation, I would say that no college is not worth it.

Go get yourself a minimum wage job and work it enough while living with family/friends until you have enough money saved up to at the very least buy and maintain a car.
Only once you get to that point should you consider higher learning.

Aside from the whole car thing, what do you want to do for a living? Do you want a desk/office job in a corporate office? Is what you want to do highly specialized?

If you want to skip out on college all together but you do want a skilled job that pays well, go to a trade school. Be an HVAC tech, electrician, plumber, or auto mechanic. All these jobs have schools that are around 3 months long. You end up with a certificate and then you apprentice under someone. It takes experience and work but your income will be decent and you will not be in debt. (Especially as an HVAC tech. Those ******** make bank)

Now, if you want a desk/office/corporate job then yeah, you'll need a degree in something. But aside from that, (IN MY OPINION) it's a waste of money if you have expectations in a career choice that is deviating from the norm.

eh i mean i can get a ride, i just dont have a car to leisurely go wherever i want without notifying people. I want to major in computer programming/engineering.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff