Welcome to Gaia! ::

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I feel like I'm being pretty selfish but in a way not.

I want about three things for Christmas this year. I don't just go outright and demand things for xmas but the family always asks me what I want.

And I have three things in mind this year.

But I don't think I can afford xmas at all...

I spent $70 this month on myself and now I am practically starving. I do not have enough food and it is the middle of the month and I have to penny pinch so hard I'm practically relying on what my dad cooks for dinner downstairs for food for the entire day because I can't buy food.

Is it wrong to want something when I, myself, cannot buy other people stuff? I am on a fixed income and get the same amount once every month so it's not like I can 'take an extra shift'.

I am not just not buying things because I am being greedy and selfish.

I just don't have any money for food.
I have $400 a month for food pretty much, any anything else that comes up.

And even if I try to penny pinch hard I still end up spending quite a bit because I'm not the only person I have to buy for.

And I end up going without food most the time so the other person can eat. I don't eat as much and I don't get hungry as much but I'm now going without food because I bought more for her.
The last trip was $50 even though all I bought was sleeping pills and soda.

No one seems to realize I never have enough money and they call me a 'thief' pretty much, mainly because at the end of the month I can't afford toilet paper or paper towels. It's usually my dad.

So I don't know what to do if someone asks me what I want. I'm not actually asking for something totally expensive. Two games, more or less, and a few bucks from the rest of the family.

So, yeah...I don't know what to do. I don't want to tell them and then have them yell at me for telling them and not being able to afford Christmas.

I literally worry so much a bout money.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
If you cannot afford anything for anyone, and they ask you what you want, let them know your situation. But don't be greedy and ask for video games, and crap, if you can't even feed yourself. Best thing to ask for is just time to spend with everyone, since that is really what the holidays are about. Ask for things that won't cost people a ton of money.

Familiar Friend

16,000 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
Not trying to be rude, but you probably won't get the best answers here. I know some of the people in here just like consoling the OP to the point of it being sugar coated.

I'm going to be honest here. You shouldn't expect things for Christmas. You probably aren't, but it's best to not expect it. Also, it's good to reciprocate in some way. If they got you something, you have to at least get them a nice card with feeling and love. You can even write it up yourself or print one up ok printer paper.

Also, if you're going hungry, I'd be hoping moreso for money to pay for bills, food, etc. Vanity is great, and we all have a time or two where we place all of our focus on it, but you gotta do it in moderation. As you're stating, you want 2 games. That's kind of acceptable, but will the feeling last forever? Maybe there's something you'd love that has practical use? That would REALLY work out for the better.

I'm personally hoping to set time aside to at least paint people pictures for gifts because that's just as much feeling as I could wrap up into a gift as I can for someone. I'll even send cards to other people that aren't as close, but I they get me a gift, I'll at least get them something small.

Just know your limits & don't spend too much. Enjoy Christmas as a family thing. That's the best thing you can do.

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
pong kiyo
Not trying to be rude, but you probably won't get the best answers here. I know some of the people in here just like consoling the OP to the point of it being sugar coated.

I'm going to be honest here. You shouldn't expect things for Christmas. You probably aren't, but it's best to not expect it. Also, it's good to reciprocate in some way. If they got you something, you have to at least get them a nice card with feeling and love. You can even write it up yourself or print one up ok printer paper.

Also, if you're going hungry, I'd be hoping moreso for money to pay for bills, food, etc. Vanity is great, and we all have a time or two where we place all of our focus on it, but you gotta do it in moderation. As you're stating, you want 2 games. That's kind of acceptable, but will the feeling last forever? Maybe there's something you'd love that has practical use? That would REALLY work out for the better.

I'm personally hoping to set time aside to at least paint people pictures for gifts because that's just as much feeling as I could wrap up into a gift as I can for someone. I'll even send cards to other people that aren't as close, but I they get me a gift, I'll at least get them something small.

Just know your limits & don't spend too much. Enjoy Christmas as a family thing. That's the best thing you can do.

I thought of making personal gifts.
But I don't know what to do, really, for them.
The only sort of 'art' I can do is on the computer and it would need to be printed out and I don't think anyone would really appreciate it even if I did put work into it...
In the past I drew a picture for one member of the family, of her horse, but I have a progressive disease, and it has progressed past the point of doing anything with my hands that requires repetitive motions and stuff like drawing and painting.
And really the only 'gift' I have is creating detailed landscapes...
I really don't think anyone wants a printed out photo of a detailed landscape

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
legnanellaf5
Yes you are selfish. You spent 70 $ on YOURSELF and now you are starving. How can you write that sentence out and not see how stupid and self absorbed you are? You put material goods over things like eating. Then on top of that, you want people to buy you more useless s**t? You have a money problem, you cant even budget for things you know you need like toliet paper, and are lucky that you live with your parents who will tolerate your shitty lifestyle, instead of roommates who would take that more personally.

The only thing you should be askign for Christmas would be useful things that would help you out in life. Maybe a budget program so you can look at how bad your spending habits on. Not games and money so that you can spend it on soda.

If you seriously were worried about money you wouldnt be going out and buying soda when you know you have limited funds. You are very spoiled. If you cant put money aside for other people, you have no reason to expect people to give you anything.

Please do not bother posting in any more of my threads, because I'm done with this crap.
You bully almost everyone in the LI forums if you can find something to b***h about.
Seriously, I'm telling you for your own good, don't waste your time typing up responses to any of my threads anymore, because I'm not going to see it.
None of your suggestions are EVER helpful. They are just RUDE.
I'm not asking you to sugar coat s**t but it's like you read something, barely, and then spin it into as rude as a statement as you possibly can. You truly do not belong in this forum.
The posts above? I take those into consideration. Those are helpful. They have made me take handmade gifts, if possible, into condsideration.
But this is just you insulting me, calling me stupid, selfish, a terrible human being.
And I buy soda because I get sick without it.
Not to mention, there is always soda in the house anyway because neither can my gf, and she's not about to stop if I try to.

Familiar Friend

16,000 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
Misha Collinz
pong kiyo

I thought of making personal gifts.
But I don't know what to do, really, for them.
The only sort of 'art' I can do is on the computer and it would need to be printed out and I don't think anyone would really appreciate it even if I did put work into it...
In the past I drew a picture for one member of the family, of her horse, but I have a progressive disease, and it has progressed past the point of doing anything with my hands that requires repetitive motions and stuff like drawing and painting.
And really the only 'gift' I have is creating detailed landscapes...
I really don't think anyone wants a printed out photo of a detailed landscape

It doesn't have to be a creative gift in the sense of painting. You EASILY can just write them a nice little message in a card. Y'know those blank cards without any marmy jarmy in them. (Messages already written up) It's all based up each individual's wants. Just think about the person. This isn't about making YOU feel good. It's about making THEM feel good.

Aged Wench

12,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Megathread 100
I agree cards are a good idea. You can get alot of them for cheap. I will make cookies and take that as an offering. They sometimes sell little decorative bags for baked goods at the dollar store. One year I just put the baked goods in brown lunch bags with gift bows on them. Yanno, think festive and cheap. I'm sure you could google "cheap handmade gifts" or something like that. I know what it's like to be broke.

Tipsy Prophet

You could bake them cookies or something. Sugar cookies are ridiculously easy and cheap to make. You can even make your own frosting from Kool-aide, powdered sugar, and just a tiny bit of milk.

If you've got $400 for food for two people a month and it's not lasting, I'd say you need to rethink your eating habits and the food that you do get. At one point in time, I feed me, my husband, and our kid on $250/month. It wasn't fancy food, but it did the job. If I didn't read that correctly and $400 is the total monthly income, then I'd say you really need to make a budget and stick to it. Clip coupons, shop sales, plan out your meals for the week before you go shopping so you aren't tempted to stray from your list. Buy in bulk when you can. Making your own soup is great because it's inexpensive, you can make a whole bunch and freeze the leftovers.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff