Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi!

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm a 19 year old girl who never wore makeup before. I've only wore it makeup (my friends did my makeup) during my graduation and prom and a few pre college parties before.

My friends told me that if I don't start wearing skin care products, I would age faster.
Well, I've never used skin care products in my life. Everyday I just wash my face with water and that's it.

Would I really age faster? And is it the same with my hand? Do I really need to exfoliate to remove dead skins before using lotions or the lotions would go to waste?

I'm really confused with all this!

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
If anything I think using makeup can be the one to make you age because of things like how you pull our eye can ake you get lines there or something.

You dont 'need' to do any of those. You probably SHOULD get away dead skin, but if it was a need I would think they would market it as such.
angel_259236102
If anything I think using makeup can be the one to make you age because of things like how you pull our eye can ake you get lines there or something.

You dont 'need' to do any of those. You probably SHOULD get away dead skin, but if it was a need I would think they would market it as such.[/quote

So if I don't wear makeup, I don't need all these products in my face right?

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
Pfft. These people. If you're having success with your current system, keep on keepin' on. Makeup can be bad for your skin, since it can clog pores or irritate sensitive areas of skin. There's hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic (meaning it doesn't clog pores) makeup, but I don't know that you need to think about that since you don't sound interested in makeup, period. Lotion can be good for your skin, especially on days where you spend a lot of time outside, but it's hardly mandatory and you're not going to look old without it. It's just a thing that can be good for you.

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
Joshsha
angel_259236102

You dont 'need' to do any of those. You probably SHOULD get away dead skin, but if it was a need I would think they would market it as such.[/quote

So if I don't wear makeup, I don't need all these products in my face right?

You dont need anything. If you want to use the products anyways, it wont hurt. It all depends on what you want from yourself. If you like the way you are now, then dont bother.
I've never used skin case products in my life and I can tell you now that I have people mistake me for 13-15. Your friends are absolutely stupid if they say that not wearing skin care products make you age. If anything, they'd age you faster.

Trust me, you don't need it. Stick with the water. If you want to use them, that's fine and dandy, but do it because you want to. Not because you think you'll age slower.

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
That's a load of bullshit, your friends don't know what they're talking about.
Joshsha
My friends told me that if I don't start wearing skin care products, I would age faster.
Well, I've never used skin care products in my life. Everyday I just wash my face with water and that's it.

This is the biggest load of bullshit. Your friends are eating up what all the cosmetic companies tell them, but honestly most of those products are bad for your skin. If you're from the US, it's even worse (I'm not a dermatologist or anything, but I know that they keep a lot of chemicals in the make-up that are considered toxic elsewhere).

I'm not saying don't wear make-up - I wear it even though I know it's not great for my skin - but don't wear it because your friends say you should stare

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
Oh, but one thing-- sunscreen is good! It protects you from skin cancer, which is a pretty great goal. There are a lot of non-greasy kinds out now, too, so you don't have to worry about feeling like you've been deep-fried when you go for a hike. I'm sure you knew that, but hey, it doesn't hurt to remind folks to be conscientious about it.

8,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
Joshsha
Hi!

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm a 19 year old girl who never wore makeup before. I've only wore it makeup (my friends did my makeup) during my graduation and prom and a few pre college parties before.

Would I really age faster? And is it the same with my hand? Do I really need to exfoliate to remove dead skins before using lotions or the lotions would go to waste?

I'm really confused with all this!

make up does NOT save the aging process....the only make up I like is a little lipstick, maybe some eyebrow plucking if needed....thats it. Natural is beautiful, but not as beautiful as you.
Just do what you want and forget all the make up crap

gramps
I think being natural is always the best - makeup is a vicious negative cycle because the more makeup you wear, the worse your skin health is, so you need more makeup etc etc...

I never wear makeup unless it's a special occasion and I wan't to have fun putting it on biggrin and even then it's only a little bit (I hate the feeling of makeup all over my face so I don't wear foundation or anything)

So I just wash with water and gentle products (as natural as possible) and use moisturiser so my skin doesn't dry out, and exfoliate now and again

One thing that might help prevent ageing is if you wear sun lotion, I think I heard that skin damage by sunshine is what causes some skin ageing (but of course a certain amount of skin ageing is normal and natural and you can't really prevent it)
oh and drink lots of water for healthy skin!! mrgreen

and about the exfoliation - I think yes, if you exfoliate first then the lotion might be more effective...but I would only be very gentle with exfoliating, you can make a natural one yourself with olive oil and salt, or you can use petroleum jelly and sugar, etc - there are some recipies on the internet (it's much cheaper as well!) and don't do it every day, just once a week or something

also if you put the lotion at night it's good because then it has all night to sink in

It probably won't stop your hands ageing though, they're going to do that no matter what any of us do, no point worrying about it wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff