Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Lunatic

Skyburn

Well sorry for jumping the gun and assuming that you were like many others who join the military, and get discharged and end up taking another civilians potential job based on affirmative action criteria. Maybe in your situation you will receive a job based on your specific training, but the fact of the matter is that candidates looking for jobs are not asked to complete a portion of their application on veteran status for no reason. Many people do get jobs and education expenses paid for based purely on the fact that they hold veteran status.
THeSLuSH
Skyburn

Well sorry for jumping the gun and assuming that you were like many others who join the military, and get discharged and end up taking another civilians potential job based on affirmative action criteria. Maybe in your situation you will receive a job based on your specific training, but the fact of the matter is that candidates looking for jobs are not asked to complete a portion of their application on veteran status for no reason. Many people do get jobs and education expenses paid for based purely on the fact that they hold veteran status.
The military, specifically the Air Force and Navy, set up their members quite well. All real training programs I've heard of teach you how to learn, vice how to do a specific job, then you learn how to do your job. As a result, many service members become apt at learning any job rather quickly so long as it falls within their interest and aptitude. Anyone who reenlists and does more than a standard 4 year term of service is often put in at least a minor leadership position, and even then there are many who don't reenlist and still get put in charge of at least a few people.
As such, many military members have dealt with being in charge, have dealt with stress, and have are more prone - though not guaranteed, but an employer has to make assumptions at times - to having a good deal more discipline, so even if they aren't immediately as qualified as another person, they are more likely to become better, learn faster, and fall in sync with the company.

It's not always just because "hey, he/she's a vet!" Its because that person has job experience, because they've likely shown they can be successful in stressful scenarios. If I put "I successfully completed 8 years of the Navy Nuclear Program and qualified X, Y, and Z watches..." at a job fair, I'll easily be contacted by jobs I would never have considered, from accounting to electrician.

Conservative Genius

8,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
funkychio
Well, the fact of the matter is that you'll be a legal adult. They can't force you to do anything. I understand that it's more complicated than that, but they can't legally make you do anything.
People assume too much about the military. It's incredibly easy to get a job that won't send you overseas, or is, at least, never going to send you anywhere near combat.

Sparkly Lunatic

Skyburn
I'll easily be contacted by jobs I would never have considered, from accounting to electrician.

This final statement is proving my point! As someone who was trained to operate a nuclear reactor, there is no reason why you should be getting an accounting job over someone who was trained to be an accountant!! I am not saying that everyone in the military is undeserving of jobs, or that everyone from the military is not as qualified as other applicants for a particular positions. I am just pointing out that there is a bias in practice in the hiring industry.
military life is definitely not for the weak minded.

judging by your op you are not mentally for it. defy your parents and dont go. you'll die before you can get signed up.

i cant wait till i get signed up. cant decide marines or airforce though.
THeSLuSH
Skyburn
I'll easily be contacted by jobs I would never have considered, from accounting to electrician.

This final statement is proving my point! As someone who was trained to operate a nuclear reactor, there is no reason why you should be getting an accounting job over someone who was trained to be an accountant!! I am not saying that everyone in the military is undeserving of jobs, or that everyone from the military is not as qualified as other applicants for a particular positions. I am just pointing out that there is a bias in practice in the hiring industry.
Actually, there is. Those who've gone through my program, due to it's nature, have shown proficiency at learning any new job quickly. We bring a wealth of knowledge, experience, discipline, and often times leadership to the field. Going to college isn't "training." It's book education. Yes, book education is a prerequisite to doing a job, but it doesn't tell you how to do a job.
The military, due to it's nature, cannot always afford to train people on individual jobs, so it does the best it can - teaches how to learn. There are so many different pieces of equipment, so many different jobs that have to be done, few training commands can hope to train on them all. They give you a general idea of your job, then focus more on feeding you information in such a way that your brain gears itself for the reception of information more efficiently. How to learn quickly. Then you go off to your next command and learn on the job.
The entire point is this:
Experience is more valuable than even college, and any experience is better than no experience. Sure, people can go through college. It's an extension upon High School, and often times, it's simply far too easy. Now, can you work? It's an entirely different environment. Will you stay late to get a job done? Will you come in on Saturdays? What about abnormal working hours? Abnormal scheduling? College students have little experience, if any. Ex-Military might recognize how much it may suck to come in on a Saturday or stay late, but they've done it before, and know how to adapt.
If something goes wrong, be it from politicking to someone actually get hurt or something breaking, any employer will know that someone with military service is less likely to break under pressure. They're more likely to learn the individual jobs set out for them, and more likely to be willing to take a heavy workload. They've got a diverse level of experience college can't hope to emulate - the military becomes your life, and in doing so, you have to manage your life in a whole new way.
Yes, sometimes vets get jobs they don't deserve. Sometimes they don't get jobs they do deserve. They're bias everywhere, and every which way.
They don't just train us to kill.
And, for my case, you think that all I ever do is operate reactors? Oh, heavens, no, there are far jobs to be done. That's one thing people don't get about the military. You never do just ONE job. For instance, I'm also in charge of ensuring all 50+ people in my division are safe. I'm one of the members that trains our people how to react in casualty scenarios, and I run, manage, and act as the sole maintenance man of one of our workcenters and insofar have to network and coordinate with other workcenters, all the while still maintaining my duties to ensure the reactor is safe. It's not all about how your trained, but how you're trained to act.

Sparkly Lunatic

Skyburn

I think you have entirely missed my point and wandered into a rant about how much better you think military training is compared to a college education.
THeSLuSH
Skyburn

I think you have entirely missed my point and wandered into a rant about how much better you think military training is compared to a college education.
Your point, as I see it: There are jobs who hire vets simply because they are vets.
My point: Many of those vets are hired for better reasons than simply being vets.

Sparkly Lunatic

Skyburn
THeSLuSH
Skyburn

Your point, as I see it: There are jobs who hire vets simply because they are vets.
My point: Many of those vets are hired for better reasons than simply being vets.

So we are in agreement xDD

7,200 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Your 18. Parents can't force you to do anything.
THeSLuSH
Skyburn
THeSLuSH
Skyburn

So we are in agreement xDD
I'm taking it further:
Many of the complaints about how vets get jobs over those who are "more qualified" are not well thought out.
That, and many put too much stock into college. I'm all for college, but too many people get a big head over it, thinking that because they got a degree that they're better than those that didn't, entirely forgetting that there is more to education than a piece of paper and paying 100k to a school, and that college isn't the only way to learn complex ideas.

And too many people discredit military education, thinking it's little more than "Pull trigger so gun shoot!" It's disgraceful, and moreover, entirely wrong - laughably so if it weren't as insulting as such an idea can be. Yes, I've forgotten much of the ins and outs of how to properly write a complex paper, those little tiny rules about where various punctuation marks are supposed to be used and not (though, I still have a fair idea about such things) because when it comes down to it I don't need to know whether or not I should be using a hyphen versus a semi-colon when I'm trying to figure out how many more inches I need to pull rods to make the reactor go critical; all that other stuff was dropped to ensure that I knew what I needed to know, the background of it, and little more. The Navy cut the crap, because I don't need to know Western Civ to do what I do.

Do I think all of that is useful? Absolutely. Education, in it's entirety, is how we advance our society. The passing on of knowledge is the only way we can survive. Kids who intentionally just don't give a crap about school, who intentionally don't do work and get bad grades were, and still are, the bane of my existence. However, this world is not ideal, and the military can't afford to give it's people that education prior to their service, save for officers. So they pay for it later. Most people who don't get that education later have no one to blame but themselves, but they complain to the right people. Sadly, like much of the world, an unfortunately large group of people in the military are downright idiots. The humorous part is that many of the people who also make such claims in angst against the military are likewise just as retarded.
If you're an adult they can't force you to do s**t unless they tie you down or something.
..Dude, I'm trying to join The Air Force once I graduate. The military has great benefits and opportunities. Also women don't go into war zones. You're being ignorant to say you'll be sexually assaulted and discriminated against. Stop being so negative.

Anyway, your parents can't force you to do anything.
Lucky you, I'd kill to join the military.
I didn't get in because of my minor blood disease.

envy you

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces