Welcome to Gaia! ::

To clear things up it's not for deceptive, manipulative, insecurity, or any kind of those purposes.

I just don't see a point in HAVING to tell people my personal beliefs, I don't see the point as their my beliefs and I've come to the conclusion concerning themI view religion as the same as politics, really. I don't like debates, I don't like talking about god, I don't like people knowing what I think of god or the world. as I feel its too personal and I'd rather keep it to myself.

However I do lie but not in a very big way, I just generally give off the "non-religious, naturalist/materialist" vibe. It just shuts people up and I don't feel the need to broadcast it.

I'm just posting because I'm just curious as to if this is a wrong thing to do? I don't do it all the time, some places online I talk about my personal beliefs but only for the reason to maybe compare them to others like them. But otherwise I don't care.

However, I do speak up if I'm offended by extremists, I just don't directly reveal any of my personal beliefs.
You dont need to lie, just say you are not into talking about person things like religious beliefs. It isnt wrong to not want to share.

Buggy Nymph

58,625 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
Religion can be a v personal thing! Sounds like it is in your case. You're not obliged to tell anyone, or to disclose in general. Just do what's comfortable really.

Lonely Lover

11,075 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Elocutionist 200
It's totally fine. Stating that you're non-religious seems to be a good response to anyone's questions because rarely would anyone get offended or judge you for that. I say the same thing! : )

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
I can understand why you would lie about what you believe in, since I know that many people like to engage in solicitation in my area. sweatdrop

For example: Yesterday, on my way to my friends' house, I was stopped by two guys, that where part of Jehovah's Witnesses. When I told them that I was not interested, they did continue to follow me, and did so for, roughly, half an hour of walking. Even after stating that I already had one of their cards, and so-on, they still continued with, "Have you had a chance to check out our website yet?" Etc etc etc.

So, I can see why you would want to lie about it, since there are people, out there, that like to argue that their opinion is fact, and that you should follow what they believe.

Just sharing a story as to why I would lie about it myself. emotion_facepalm

Demonic Spirit

13,625 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I can see ghost. ._. that nothing to do with this. emotion_awesome
It's not a big deal, it's fine but you don't have to lie, just say you dont wanna talk about it or something.

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
Chatturbox
It's not a big deal, it's fine but you don't have to lie, just say you dont wanna talk about it or something.

This! I've never been any kind of religious, so I guess it's a core part of who I am, but I rarely talk about it and I never bring it up. It's just not relevant very often, and the way people can be about spiritual stuff isn't worth the risk of a blowout or hurt feelings. I definitely don't have shame about it, and it's easy to discuss at times like this, when it's pertinent. But 99.9% of the time, it's just unimportant to what I'm doing, so I leave it.
halo to you

I think it may bother you more than you realize since you're asking about it. You could simply decline to state by brushing it off with a smile and saying "that's kinda personal, don't you think? I rather not discuss it" and continue to firmly repeat yourself if some a*****e takes it as a challenge.

It feels weird that people would ask this to you. I find it rude.
Do what you think and feel is right... It may sound like a jackass advice. But seriously Answer your questions with whats most important to you. Ask yourself who and what do you value more? Then stick to it. be completely honest... Out of experience staying in the middle is a shitty place.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff