Welcome to Gaia! ::

Further, I don't understand why it is that I want a friend, what I would do once I had one, or even what a friend is. I'm twenty years old and keep myself company with imaginary friends.

The problem runs pretty deep. I don't really get why normal people do what they do. Funerals and weddings, for instance, seem stupid. Also: sports, drinking, most music, restaurants, etc.

Until now, I've been content to just keep myself happy. However, I am finding that if I want to go anywhere in life, I'm going to have to deal with people. Is there anyone who would be willing to answer some questions via PM so that I may contribute more to society?

Thank you for listening.

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
well, you think everything done by them is stupid. Think of it as a different culture, take time to try and see it from their point of view.
Thank you, but that is exactly what I'm trying to do. Why assign different values to certain types of clothes? Why watch people throw a ball back and forth and become emotionally attached to the result? I don't get it...
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Thank you, but that is exactly what I'm trying to do. Why assign different values to certain types of clothes? Why watch people throw a ball back and forth and become emotionally attached to the result? I don't get it...

its not just people throwing a ball back in forth. Its a game. A game where (if you ever tried to played it) you try to win to prove that you have it within you to do it. The reason it got so big is that the pro players are our "champions" for our area, and that we cheer for them to succeed over their enemies.

Think Roman Colosseum.

Its more than a game, it's a challenge of one area versus the other, THROUGH the game.

Clothing always speaks of status. You wear certain clothes, it affiliated you to different social group.

Suits--> businessmen, the wealthy.

Now the part where it gets tricky is when people where stuff that they just enjoy.

I feel you think it's all beneath you. If that's the case you won't ever find a friend. You have to put yourself out there, and hope you find someone to share some beliefs with. You won't always agree, but you will enjoy eachothers company. That's the goal you need to go for. And through that friend, you will slowly try to understand the world.
Quote:
Sociology is the scientific study of human society and its origins, development, organizations, and institutions. It is a social science which uses various methods of empirical investigation and critical analysis to develop a body of knowledge about human social activity. - Wikipedia

Take a sociology class (or buy a book). You're not the first person to ask these questions. xd
Theallmightypoe
Reborn Fox

its not just people throwing a ball back in forth. Its a game. A game where (if you ever tried to played it) you try to win to prove that you have it within you to do it. The reason it got so big is that the pro players are our "champions" for our area, and that we cheer for them to succeed over their enemies.

Think Roman Colosseum.

Its more than a game, it's a challenge of one area versus the other, THROUGH the game.

I think I can understand someone identifying with their area through a team,
but aren't the players drawn from all over the country? What about people who root for a team from a different state?
Quote:

Clothing always speaks of status. You wear certain clothes, it affiliated you to different social group.

Suits--& businessmen, the wealthy.

Now the part where it gets tricky is when people where stuff that they just enjoy.

Last week I was told we would be wearing our suit-style uniforms to a funeral to show respect. What does that have to do with wealth?.

Quote:

I feel you think it's all beneath you. If that's the case you won't ever find a friend. You have to put yourself out there, and hope you find someone to share some beliefs with. You won't always agree, but you will enjoy eachothers company. That's the goal you need to go for. And through that friend, you will slowly try to understand the world.
Not beneath me so much as just really weird.

Luhft: I've taken two sociology classes. Do you have any specific recommendations?

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox" .[/quote]

for the suit at a funeral, it's a formality. It looks nice and sophisticated, therefore shows respect towards the dead and the dead's family. It is a tradition, and as most traditions, the meaning is lost over time but the act will stay.

towards major sports: Yes, the players are drafted from all over, and I find that really weird for fans to take such a emotional interest into the team even because of that. However, the fans overlook that, and because the team is representing their region, they support
6v1mphyy:0="Reborn Fox" .[/quote]

for the suit at a funeral, it's a formality. It looks nice and sophisticated, therefore shows respect towards the dead and the dead's family. It is a tradition, and as most traditions, the meaning is lost over time but the act will stay.

towards major sports: Yes, the players are drafted from all over, and I find that really weird for fans to take such a emotional interest into the team even because of that. However, the fans overlook that, and because the team is representing their region, they support them.
Theallmightypoe

Er, sorry. I didn't follow that at all. What looks nice about a suit, and how does it imply respect? Why do people do things if they don't know why?

Quote:
towards major sports: Yes, the players are drafted from all over, and I find that really weird for fans to take such a emotional interest into the team even because of that. However, the fans overlook that, and because the team is representing their region, they support them.

There's this website I go to. It's sort of a flash game that uses genetic algorithms to 'learn" the best design for a "car" on a given "track." Sometimes while watching, I will see a car that I believe to have a superior design due to certain features. Due to my prediction that it will perform well, I find myself desiring that car to outperform the others for no other reason than to validate my prediction. Does that have anything to do with it? Because the more I think about it, the less your explanation makes sense. Surely the athletic abilities of a certain group of people whose selection is not determined by geography cannot be the best way to measure whether a particular area is better than another. What about test scores or employment rates? Further, why is the Super Bowl such a big deal, if only (roughly) 4% of the country is represented?

Thank you for your patience. I seriously appreciate it.

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

Er, sorry. I didn't follow that at all. What looks nice about a suit, and how does it imply respect? Why do people do things if they don't know why?

Quote:

There's this website I go to. It's sort of a flash game that uses genetic algorithms to 'learn" the best design for a "car" on a given "track." Sometimes while watching, I will see a car that I believe to have a superior design due to certain features. Due to my prediction that it will perform well, I find myself desiring that car to outperform the others for no other reason than to validate my prediction. Does that have anything to do with it? Because the more I think about it, the less your explanation makes sense. Surely the athletic abilities of a certain group of people whose selection is not determined by geography cannot be the best way to measure whether a particular area is better than another. What about test scores or employment rates? Further, why is the Super Bowl such a big deal, if only (roughly) 4% of the country is represented?

Thank you for your patience. I seriously appreciate it.

you will soon learn that logic does not define human behaviour, but, yes the racecar example is correct. your reasons of wanting your car to win, isn't as important as the feeling you get when you're correct or incorrect. most people are guided by those emotions, so much so that logic is out the window.

that is also the reason for the big following of major sports. They feel a similar connection to the teams they like, and follow them. (there are also people who just enjoy the game in its entirety)
I was an isolated person back then probably because my hobbies and interest doesn't really seem to related with the "common society" that I have in this city I live in. But when I got into an online community, I got to meet these people in real life. There had been ups and downs on the side but my circle had never been the same ever since. I am actually lucky that I was able to find these people. The love you they hate you-- that's life.

I have a suggestion. How about you try to interact with online people or interact in a group that suites your interest. It seems to be not that hard isn't it? cool Then later on, little by little, try to talk to people around you. Do your best efforts to have a connection. Blent in then later go out of shell little by little.

And of course, the basis of these is loving yourself first. If you love yourself, people will come to you in the soonest time. smile You have to know where to look. ^_^

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Th' high seas be filled wit' many o' people, undoubtedly ye will meet some bloke who thinks in a similar manna' as yerself and possibly become hearties
Theallmightypoe

you will soon learn that logic does not define human behaviour, but, yes the racecar example is correct. your reasons of wanting your car to win, isn't as important as the feeling you get when you're correct or incorrect. most people are guided by those emotions, so much so that logic is out the window.

that is also the reason for the big following of major sports. They feel a similar connection to the teams they like, and follow them. (there are also people who just enjoy the game in its entirety)

Let's see if I understand this...
A child is watching a football game. He naturally feels some urge for 'his' team to win. This is further reinforced by his parents and friends having the same urge. Now suppose there exists someone the child knows who believes a different team is superior. They exchange opinions. Now that the child has made a testable prediction, he wants his team to win more and somehow believes more strongly that they will. This starts a cycle wherein his increased faith leads to more predictions, leading to increased faith until one day he is buying merchandise and screaming at the TV.

But my model predicts that people would lose interest in the sport once their team is out. Yet the Super Bowl is one of the largest events of the year. Further, my parents who are mild fans at best, watch it every week regardless of who is playing.

What if someone were to develop loyalty to a certain player on the team. Suppose the player winds up on a new team. Then the child is going to want the new team to do well so that his player can do well. Without thinking about it too hard, this seems to explain how someone can support a 'foreign' team, but it still doesn't explain the Super Bowl.

However, noting that this model is untested, let us assume for the sake of argument that it is at least mostly true. I might use this at the start of the next season to draw close to a particular person by making predictions that align with theirs. By then I will be twenty-one, so I will be able to use alcohol to not-think of the illogic of it and allow myself to be drawn in by my prediction. Now that we are emotionally tied to the same thing, a small bond forms. It deepens as the season progresses. By the time the Super Bowl arrives it will hopefully be sufficiently deep that I can question him to help expand my model. With practice, I may even be able to accomplish this without giving into the hype. Of course, I probably won't like the other person as much this way, but I'll at least keep my integrity.

If this works, it will be evidence in favor of my model.

Perhaps I could identify with this mindset more my drawing an analogy with my religious views, which seem to work the same way on the surface level. However, I suspect that this line of thought would lead me only to be less obnoxious regarding my religion rather than understanding sports fans. Granted, this is still a net positive, but not the one I want right now.

I believe we've beaten this topic enough. What about funerals? I recognize that this may be a sensitive and emotional topic. I am not at all trying to disrespect your views. They way I see it, once someone is dead, he doesn't matter anymore. So spending massive amounts of money (I believe the Army gives out $100,000 for funeral arrangements to the families of fallen Soldiers) and time over something that no longer exists seems ridiculous.

Kyanderu
I have a suggestion. How about you try to interact with online people or interact in a group that suites your interest. It seems to be not that hard isn't it? Then later on, little by little, try to talk to people around you. Do your best efforts to have a connection. Blent in then later go out of shell little by little.

Well, I've found a writing group near me. Problem is, everyone's twice my age. smile And I'm not sure how to progress from 'person whose work I critique' to 'friend.' I am also unsure what to say to a random person.

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

Let's see if I understand this...
A child is watching a football game. He naturally feels some urge for 'his' team to win. This is further reinforced by his parents and friends having the same urge. Now suppose there exists someone the child knows who believes a different team is superior. They exchange opinions. Now that the child has made a testable prediction, he wants his team to win more and somehow believes more strongly that they will. This starts a cycle wherein his increased faith leads to more predictions, leading to increased faith until one day he is buying merchandise and screaming at the TV.

But my model predicts that people would lose interest in the sport once their team is out. Yet the Super Bowl is one of the largest events of the year. Further, my parents who are mild fans at best, watch it every week regardless of who is playing.

What if someone were to develop loyalty to a certain player on the team. Suppose the player winds up on a new team. Then the child is going to want the new team to do well so that his player can do well. Without thinking about it too hard, this seems to explain how someone can support a 'foreign' team, but it still doesn't explain the Super Bowl.

However, noting that this model is untested, let us assume for the sake of argument that it is at least mostly true. I might use this at the start of the next season to draw close to a particular person by making predictions that align with theirs. By then I will be twenty-one, so I will be able to use alcohol to not-think of the illogic of it and allow myself to be drawn in by my prediction. Now that we are emotionally tied to the same thing, a small bond forms. It deepens as the season progresses. By the time the Super Bowl arrives it will hopefully be sufficiently deep that I can question him to help expand my model. With practice, I may even be able to accomplish this without giving into the hype. Of course, I probably won't like the other person as much this way, but I'll at least keep my integrity.

If this works, it will be evidence in favor of my model.

Perhaps I could identify with this mindset more my drawing an analogy with my religious views, which seem to work the same way on the surface level. However, I suspect that this line of thought would lead me only to be less obnoxious regarding my religion rather than understanding sports fans. Granted, this is still a net positive, but not the one I want right now.

I believe we've beaten this topic enough. What about funerals? I recognize that this may be a sensitive and emotional topic. I am not at all trying to disrespect your views. They way I see it, once someone is dead, he doesn't matter anymore. So spending massive amounts of money (I believe the Army gives out $100,000 for funeral arrangements to the families of fallen Soldiers) and time over something that no longer exists seems ridiculous.

Kyanderu
I have a suggestion. How about you try to interact with online people or interact in a group that suites your interest. It seems to be not that hard isn't it? Then later on, little by little, try to talk to people around you. Do your best efforts to have a connection. Blent in then later go out of shell little by little.

Well, I've found a writing group near me. Problem is, everyone's twice my age. smile And I'm not sure how to progress from 'person whose work I critique' to 'friend.' I am also unsure what to say to a random person.

You're starting to get it. As for the whole "get connected to a player who switches teams" that sometimes happens. They either still hope that player does good, or hate him for leaving their team.

For the funeral. It's not necessarily for the dead person. it's about them, but it's for the people who cared deeply for that individual. It's a ritual that allows the still living to come to terms with the death and start letting go.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff