Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Lunatic

Hey, so i'm a transfer freshman at college, and I have big time social anxiety. I'm really shy, and only start being myself after I know people for a while. That being said, I'm having a really hard time meeting people. I'm trying really hard too, I talk to people on the bus, and occasionally in the dining halls when people aren't in a group with their frinds, but aside from asking about year classes, and majors, I can't really think of what to say. And to make things even better, the club fair was postponed. So basically i'm really lonely and need some tips on making friends....so, does anyone have any advice?

Blessed Codger

Well, for how long was the club fair postponed? Because you're right to go to that; clubs are the #1 way I made friends, personally.

Being a freshman is great because a lot of the time, you're surrounded by other freshmen who're just as lost as you. 3nodding You're doing great by just introducing yourself, but the next time you do, ask questions. Oh, your major is ____? What are you hoping to do with that after college?

...stuff like that. Also, when exams start looming on the horizon, ask someone who sits next to you/someone you've already introduced yourself to to study. That's a good, low-pressure environment in which to spend time with classmates. ^^

Girl

I went outside to smoke at 1 am and there were a bunch of people there and they invited me over saying i dont have to smoke alone so now we are all apart of the cancer club
Clubs are definitely the way to go. I had a hard time making friends at first too, then I joined a sorority. I'm not saying that greek life is the way to go, but find a club with similar interests and the conversations should flow. Also talk to people in your classes, study groups and etc before a test, you can make quick friends that way.

Chatty Smoker

I would make small talk with people in your classes, that's how it always worked for me. Ask if they had issues with the homework, if they did that assignment yet, what they thought of that lesson, etc. Usually you can always get a conversation going that way. smile
I found clubs to be the best way. And the fair isnt really the only place to get info, they usually will have fb groups and have a list of the clubs on campus somewhere.

Invisible Assailant

12,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Seconding talking to people in class--it helps if you can get to class early (at least, the ones you don't have back-to-back with another one) because often somebody else will too, and then it's instant chat time! I take it you're not in student housing, because that's usually the easiest place to find people to talk to--and the RA can often give you good ideas about how to meet people at that particular campus. Also, is there a good way to form study groups on campus? Like, are there dedicated rooms in the library to meet with a study group? It's not "traditional" socializing, but it helps you meet people, gets you some social time, and as a bonus, tends to help with the classwork.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff