Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loyal Wife

15,625 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
Not an ex boyfriend, my very best friend I lost last year, April 27th, 2013, to cancer in her brain.
She struggled for 2 years, and I thought she was getting better. She had her same sense of humor, understanding, and all around she was herself after she accepted the fact she had cancer and she had to deal with it. A year and a half into it all, I thought she was gonna make a full recovery and survive this mess... Then she started getting worse and her health slowly started declining. I think part of this was because she gained depression... And I think she honestly gave up and just let go..
I remember a year ago today I walked into her hospital room and tripped, and she laughed uncontrollably at me... That day was the last day I saw her alive, as how I was incredibly busy the next few days.
April 27th, I get a call. Her mother, which was odd, she never called me. I answer it and shes in complete tears and I couldn't understand her. So she eventually gives up and tells me to get to her house immediately. I do so, and as soon as I get there, my friends older sister just hugs me and tells me to stay calm, and gives me the bad news. I didn't cry, I sat there silently for a moment, then got up and left without saying anything. I went home and I broke down into actions that fluctuated between a devastated laughter and tears. I don't remember anything until the funeral.
I made sure everyone that went wore bright colors, as my best friend told me a few years back that her funeral better not be depressing. I held that promise true, and made sure people got bright colors. Watching that casket getting closed on her beautiful face is probably the worst thing that ever has and ever will happen.
To this day, I still go to her grave, I change the flowers once a month and I make sure it stays beautiful like she was. The downside, I always think about it, everyday, and it still destroys me.
My friends now, and my boyfriend, they tell me how she's still around and watches over me from above, and I know that, they try so hard to make me feel better about her and I love them for it, but it's not exactly easy to just not think about someone and not break down...
She was there when no one else was, and I would do absolutely anything to see her again.

The Peten's Fangirl

Pirate

36,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Everyone's mourning process is different, you never really "get over it". Losing a loved one is extremely hard to cope with, it can be hard to heal.
I'm very sorry that your friend lost her battle with cancer, you're also a very great friend to have made her funeral special 3nodding
I still think of my grandmothers, my older friend, my neighbor's dog and my cat that have passed on from years ago. My own grieving took me a long time, I still think of them once in a while and it saddens me.
I would recommend picking up some books about losing a loved one and how to cope, like I said it's different for everyone and I feel that you will find your way to heal through it.

Loyal Wife

15,625 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
Bonny Lass Minty
Everyone's mourning process is different, you never really "get over it". Losing a loved one is extremely hard to cope with, it can be hard to heal.
I'm very sorry that your friend lost her battle with cancer, you're also a very great friend to have made her funeral special 3nodding
I still think of my grandmothers, my older friend, my neighbor's dog and my cat that have passed on from years ago. My own grieving took me a long time, I still think of them once in a while and it saddens me.
I would recommend picking up some books about losing a loved one and how to cope, like I said it's different for everyone and I feel that you will find your way to heal through it.

I've lost my godmother and my great grandmother, both I was close to but I never grieved for them for this long.. It usually took 2 weeks and I was fine and accepted that they're gone.
I just can't grasp the fact that my best friend is gone and I can't have her back, I can't accept it.

Sparkly Prophet

10,275 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
Eventually you will have to accept that your best friend is gone. There is no other way around it, and if you keep telling yourself you cant accept it, then you will not heal. I recently lost my best friend to suicide, and thinking of how much I cannot accept he's gone, only makes it worse. You have to eventually accept it and remember all of the good times, none of the bad. Your friend wouldnt want to see you in pain, or struggling. She would want you to be happy, and would want you to heal. Grieving takes a lot of time. You may never fully heal, but it will get easier. You have to remember to stay strong, and you cannot let the sadness win. Please try to accept it, although it is extremely difficult. Life can really suck sometimes, but you can be strong, and overcome this! If you need any extra help try talking with a therapist, or reading a few stories about others losses due to cancer. I am rooting for you smile

5,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
I am so sorry for your loss. sad

I have lost family members and that was really tough, but I've never lost a best friend to death.

I wish I knew what else to say.

8,575 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
My bf lost his father when he was very young and him and his mom have both told me that at first, it's terrible and you never really get over it.
But, eventually you learn to live with it.
It'll get harder before it gets easier, that much is true.

Stories like this are why I don't have any close friends and only a couple of loved ones.
I'm not so much terrified of death, but I'm terrified of losing someone I love and not knowing if we'll ever be reunited in the "afterlife".
I prefer to be mostly alone so I won't be completely broken if something were to happen.
I'm still not over my cat's death, so I can't even begin to comprehend how I'd cope with a husband/father of my child or a best friend who was like a second sister to me.
All I have to say is you're a hell of a lot stronger than me.
I'm too selfish and sensitive to handle anything like that.
If I had a friend like that, I guess I would keep her memory alive by being a good friend to someone like she was to you. I think that's one way to be at peace with the passing.

Dark Light Doom's One That Got Away

Anxious Fairy

20,500 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
Hunny I think weve talked about this before. I am going to tell you the honest truth; you dont. I lost a friend before too, she was 19. And i pretend im ok and over it and im not. We were very close and she had no type of illness. She just passed away suddenly. There were times i pretty much lived with her. Im not saying something is wrong with you but some therapy may help dear.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff