Welcome to Gaia! ::

We fight all the time and generally don't agree on most things. He belittles me and makes me feel inferior and I've just had enough of it. Our behavior towards each other is very toxic probably because we're just not compatible. I don't want a future with this person as I see my life just getting progressively worst. I'm unhappy everyday. He isolated me from all my friends so I don't have anyone to seek advice from.

We live together but the lease is in my name. I'm capable of paying all the rent so it's not a big deal.

I don't know how to break up with someone. In the past, my relationships all ended because I just move out and sort of started ignoring them. This situation is different because I can't move out since the lease is in my name.

How do I approach him?

Cluttered Animal

This is a bit tough.. are you afraid for your personal safety in any definition of the word? If not, just sit him down, explain how you feel, and why. Ask him to leave (30 days notice is key) since you're the primary signer.

If he doesn't take the hint

Talk to your landlord first and foremost, remove his name from the lease forcefully.

Then, call the local municipal (Police) and ask them to assist you in executing an eviction because you do not feel safe doing so yourself, or ask the landlord to do so.
ManderTehPander
This is a bit tough.. are you afraid for your personal safety in any definition of the word? If not, just sit him down, explain how you feel, and why. Ask him to leave (30 days notice is key) since you're the primary signer.

Talk to your landlord first and foremost, remove his name from the lease forcefully.

Then, call the local municipal (Police) and ask them to assist you in executing an eviction because you do not feel safe doing so yourself, or ask the landlord to do so.

No, he's not physically abusive and I'm not scared for my safety. He's not on the lease and he wouldn't bring legalities into this. He'd probably just leave in a week and that would be that. Despite him being emotionally abusive, he's actually civil enough to handle this as an adult.

I just don't know how to approach him and tell him that things aren't working out and that I don't want to date anymore.

Cluttered Animal

Average Roleplayer
ManderTehPander

No, he's not physically abusive and I'm not scared for my safety. He's not on the lease and he wouldn't bring legalities into this. He'd probably just leave in a week and that would be that. Despite him being emotionally abusive, he's actually civil enough to handle this as an adult.

I just don't know how to approach him and tell him that things aren't working out and that I don't want to date anymore.
About the only thing I can suggest is sit him down, and just let it out. Practicing in a mirror or a picture of him may help.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
Pretty much just tell him. If you are unhappy, and he is emotionally abusive, then just tell him that you are done with him, and want him to leave.
You do just have to say it as is, there is no good way to say things and it is not going to be fun for anyone.

The big thing I find is not the breaking up but the staying not together while dealing with teh mess of moving out. You need to make sure you dont have sex together, you have your own space to sleep, and even if he takes a bit to find a place to move to, that you dont go back on your word with the break up.

Demonic Wolf

4,150 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Demonic Associate 100
Kick him the hell out. If it is in your name, and he refuses to leave, then you need to have someone to remove him, like the popo.

Be honest. No use of beating around the bush.

Beloved Bloodsucker

20,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Average Roleplayer
ManderTehPander

Be up front tell him why you want to end things. Let him know it is better to move on

Divine Fairy

10,650 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
Average Roleplayer

I used to have a hard time with this.

Every guy I wanted to break up with always resisted. UGH. I know how it feels, so it makes it hard.

It's best to just approach him. If that doesn't work, tell his mom, or have your mom tell him.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Average Roleplayer
We fight all the time and generally don't agree on most things. He belittles me and makes me feel inferior and I've just had enough of it. Our behavior towards each other is very toxic probably because we're just not compatible. I don't want a future with this person as I see my life just getting progressively worst. I'm unhappy everyday. He isolated me from all my friends so I don't have anyone to seek advice from.

We live together but the lease is in my name. I'm capable of paying all the rent so it's not a big deal.

I don't know how to break up with someone. In the past, my relationships all ended because I just move out and sort of started ignoring them. This situation is different because I can't move out since the lease is in my name.

How do I approach him?

I hope those guys you dumped were bad people to you, ignoring someone and letting them worry sick in wonder what is going on is one of the worst ways to end a relationship with someone and can create a stalker. You tell him "I'm breaking up with you because you're an a*****e, get out of my home".

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
"I'm breaking up with you. You're a d**k, and I don't want to work it out. You have ___ time to make other living arrangements. I do not want you in my house or my life anymore. This is not up for discussion, and I do not owe you any explanations."

Original Phantom

8,875 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Noble Shade 100
In a situation like that, the best solution is what everyone else is saying.

Sit down with him, turn off all distractions, and have time where there is 100% focus between the two of you. Explain to him exactly how you feel, don't hint at those feelings, don't suggest they are there, just directly state them. If you don't believe he will make the time and effort to correct the issues, then tell him that you wish for him to leave. Stay civil and calm through the whole conversation. Negative emotions can cause any situation to turn violent.

I'd personally also suggest for him to look into therapy, so that he doesn't harm another girl. Abuse, of any kind, is difficult to break once started. At times it is even known to escalate as tension continues to rise.
Average Roleplayer
approach him and tell him that things aren't working out and that I don't want to date anymore.

Sounds like a solid plan and how I've done most my break ups

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces