Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,025 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
I'm currently taking classes towards nursing, however, I want to have other career options just in case nursing doesn't work out. I want a career similar to that of nursing in which there's a chance to grow, job stability, requires to be active, deal with the public, and pays decent or fairly well. Any suggestions? neutral

Also, although this is off topic, I was planning on working aboard but don't know any programs that will allow me do to so. Any programs for young adults?
Medical coding and billing is a damn good field to be in. Or pharmaceuticals. Stay in the medical field. And if your going for nursing do NOT stop at nursing assistant. The pay is s**t and people get stuck in those jobs because they can't find the time to get back to school to finish their RN.

Flatterer

5,275 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
You could consider working for a nursing home, or at-home aide
You limit yourself there with the pay part. If it weren't for the pay, a lot of public positions would fit your bill, but they often get paid s**t. Then again, from the tales of my fiance (a travel nurse who used to work in America), the benefits for being a nurse in America are pretty poor in my book anyway, so what do I know?

If you weren't worried about stability, I'd suggest some kind of contracting job for HR or public campaigns, maybe managing. When you contract or go free-lance, you have to deal with the public often to keep a semi-stable income. Otherwise I'd suggest teaching English overseas in Non-English speaking countries, they look like good jobs

The fact of the matter is that very few people get everything they want out of a job. You need to know which bits are more important to you, and what you can sacrifice to find something you like. Nursings about as close a fit as you'll get, and you'll be hard pressed to find something similarly well disposed to your desires

In the end, you'll still feel like things are missing, and you'll need to find those things outside of work

Friendly Citizen

4,750 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Trader 100
Sausisalchicha
You could consider working for a nursing home, or at-home aide

These places often pay well and the hours are better for continuing in your studies toward your RN. As others have said do not get stuck a a CNA. The pay is little more than non-medical jobs and so many people get stuck there saying they will go back.
As a nurse myself I have to say there aren't many fields out there as promising as this one. If you still want to be in health care you can try respiratory tech, lab tech, or a few others. They make nearly as much as a nurse and have good chances of promotions/raises, however there aren't as many available positions for them and the schools are more competitive.
If you want to travel, join the peace corps...

Golden Gekko

you could go with psychology and possibly work in HR. I don't know how much room their is for growth with that.

There are a lot of programs for teaching in other countries for a summer or whatnot.

Beloved Gaian

Being the total Realist heart

So; Basically Nursing is a good career yes but being brought up in a nursing/medical family there's a lot hidden beneath the appealing face of that career path.

Basically in a nut shell;
If you work for a more larger corporation the more politics there will be that comes with the territory. Personal suggestions is you work for a more private/ non profit organization yes the pay will decrease a bit. But you will keep half your sanity. If you choose to go for a nursing career with lots of $ I suggest taking relaxation courses and programs that help keep your morale. It all depends on the type of person you are and how you view different situations. Plus not to discourage you but the drop out rate of nurses in the first 5 years (where I am from, Canada) is 80%. Nursing is half the battle in the work environment. There's much much more politics and corruption in the health care system compared to 15 years ago.

yes nursing is a good job and pays well. But once again I suggest the more private/ non profit health care organizations are the way to go.

heart
Hope I didn't sounds discouraging just being a realist. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas