Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cat

15,590 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Here Be Owls
Here's what'll happen:

You'll probably wait in the waiting room for several hours (I had to wait for around 6). Then you'll be brought into a room where you'll fill out forms, be weighed, and checked for scars or wounds (they'll have a form where they'll mark down where your scars are). You'll undress and they'll check your clothes. Your shoes will be taken away and you'll be given socks. If you wear glasses, you'll have to give them to the people each night.

You'll be given a room; the doors to the room and the bathroom will not lock. If you are considered a danger to others (or possibly if you're gender variant), you will have your own room; otherwise, you'll room with a buddy of the same sex.

You will stay there until you are no longer considered a danger to yourself. The schedule, if you're in a teen ward, will probably go something like this:

Wake up
Vitals (possibly with blood drawn)
Breakfast
Therapy session
Lunch
Therapy session
Gym (or art/music class)
Dinner
Meeting with parents
Therapy Session
Bed

If you act out, you'll be placed in a room with only a mattress or be tied to a bed and given sedatives.

That schedule is spot-on to what I just experienced in an adult mental hospital.
Only, you forgot the snacks.
Snack always came after a therapy session.

JLWessica's Partner

My ex-boyfriend was admitted several years ago. He had a history of depression, and when his counselor found out that he was suicidal once three years prior, she had him committed involuntarily. He had not had suicidal thoughts or actions in three years, he was just having a bad day and wanted someone to talk to. They cut off all of his contact with the entire outside world, including his family, for a full week while they started him on a strict and heavy regiment of anti-depressants. He became completely brainwashed and institutionalized by the time he was released a week later. His life revolved around the pills and the therapy, which was mandatory three days a week even when he was released. The pills stripped him of his personality and turned him into a robot. He was suicidal again two weeks later as a result of the pills and the institution taking away his personality and therefore everything he had left. I'm aware that not all stories are this bad, but I would like to caution you of this. Once you go in, you never come back out the same, and you never come out without chemicals swimming in your blood ******** up your head.

Blessed Prophet

Here Be Owls
Here's what'll happen:

You'll probably wait in the waiting room for several hours (I had to wait for around 6). Then you'll be brought into a room where you'll fill out forms, be weighed, and checked for scars or wounds (they'll have a form where they'll mark down where your scars are). You'll undress and they'll check your clothes. Your shoes will be taken away and you'll be given socks. If you wear glasses, you'll have to give them to the people each night.

You'll be given a room; the doors to the room and the bathroom will not lock. If you are considered a danger to others (or possibly if you're gender variant), you will have your own room; otherwise, you'll room with a buddy of the same sex.

You will stay there until you are no longer considered a danger to yourself. The schedule, if you're in a teen ward, will probably go something like this:

Wake up
Breakfast
Therapy session
Lunch
Therapy session
Gym (or art/music class)
Dinner
Meeting with parents
Therapy Session
Bed

If you act out, you'll be placed in a room with only a mattress or be tied to a bed and given sedatives.

This was pretty much my schedule when I was there. I ******** hated it.

Newbie Member

2,600 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Here Be Owls
Here's what'll happen:

Wake up
Breakfast
Therapy session
Lunch
Therapy session
Gym (or art/music class)
Dinner
Meeting with parents
Therapy Session
Bed

This was the same thing I went through when I admitted myself.

Moonlight Healer

Yeah, it really just depends on what facility you go to, and if you are going there voluntary or involuntarily. If you're admitting yourself voluntarily and/or staying long term, you generally have a bit more freedom with things. There is also inpatient vs outpatient, with you being allowed to go home at night as an outpatient.

I've been to two "behavioral" facilities involuntarily more than once. The first facility I was at was not a very pleasant experience; when you first get there they take your clothes and any jewelry. You can keep your underwear but no bras with underwire in them. They make you wear scrubs. Then they send you in with the rest of the kids there; for this place boys were on one side of the building and girls the other. Everybody gets together to eat (the food is pretty terrible) and for group therapy sessions the counselor will have everyone talk about a certain topic or do an activity or whatever. Sometimes you get to walk in an enclosed space outside or if people are acting up they'll make you walk laps around the inside of the building, or send everyone to their rooms. At night you get your "hygiene" bag with a cheap little toothbrush, toothpaste, a comb, and some soap. You can shower if you want. You'll have a few minutes to get your daily phone call while everyone watches a movie or something.

Certain days there are visiting hours if your family members wish to come see you. You go to bed at 8pm I think it is, and wake up at 5am. You have to make your bed in the morning, which is like a pad on a wooden base with one blanket and a crappy pillow. They'll make rounds at night with flashlights every 15 mins or so. If you are lucky during the day, you might be able to see the doctor. He'll talk to you for a bit and decide to keep you longer or let you go home. Where I live the minimum stay is 72 hours if you're committed involuntarily, but they can keep you longer. People in the facility will take note if you don't eat your food, attempt to hurt yourself, etc, Most people, including me, were made to take an antidepressant of some sort everyday as well. If your family is nice they can bring you your own underwear or maybe a book to read and they will let you have that at certain times.

The second facility I went to I liked a lot better. They let you wear your own clothes but will still take your bra if it has underwire. The food was better there and so were the counselors and group activities we did. Sometimes they'd give us colored pencils or whatever and just let us draw or be creative. The beds were nicer and the rooms had a bookshelf kinda thing where you could keep your things, perhaps a book or a journal if your family brought you it, or your activities from the day. When we went outside it was actually like a little playground we could use. They had an actual gym and let kids play basketball and do other things.

One thing I do remember more vividly at the second place though was having to get up very early to have some nurses take blood and vitals.

I was also an outpatient at the second place for a little while. Unlike the first facility this one also had long term patients in a different ward; they had a pool to hang out at and stuff.

The whole ordeal was a pretty miserable experience for me because I was in a bad place emotionally, but I did meet some memorable people there and appreciated my freedom a bit more when I was out. Like I said, it really just depends on where you go and what's available to you. I know some of the long term patients I talked to at the second facility didn't want to leave the place, so surely it could be healing as well. To me it seriously felt like prison but it helped me to figure out what I wanted to do with my life as well (working with mental illness.)

Unbeatable Survivor

Well, the first thing is, if you voluntarily admit yourself and don't show signs of being aggressive and a complete danger, you'll be in a certain ward, rather than the more dangerous one.

And honestly, what someone said about someone watching you while going to the bathroom isn't definite [at least no the ward I was in]. Sure, there were no locks, but I could definitely take a pee and take a shower in peace. The only time someone would have come and checked was if I had been in there for, say, thirty minutes [Actually, now that I think about it, I think there was an intercom system in the bathroom and they were first call over it and say you've been in there a long time and ask if you were okay and if you didn't answer they would check on you, but I can't remember. It may have just been that a nurse came and knocked on the door because I was gone too long].

I remember some of the nurses were so awesome. I first day I was there they took me to the nurse kitchen and let me get a bunch of snacks because I hadn't eaten in two days [I had tried to kill myself on a Thursday night and then I was in the hospital until Saturday morning. I wasn't allowed anything until Saturday morning, which was a liquid diet]. They joked with us and were very friendly, although they clearly loved their jobs and didn't have the stress of dealing with difficult, critical situation patients.

Yeah there will definitely be both group and individual therapy/coping sessions. Again, this may be exclusive, but the ward I was in actual made the group sessions optional, just that you had to be in your room the whole time it was taking place. The idea was that they wanted us to move at our own pace, but I do believe you would be less likely to be allowed to leave if you just never went because it meant you didn't accept that you wanted or needed help.

People could bring you food or entertainment, but the food had to be clearly shown to be from a specific restaurant/fast food chain [For whatever reason it couldn't be home cooked?] and any entertainment was checked [my friend brought manga for me].

Of course there are ways in which anywhere you will go will be the same: Anything that seems like you could use to kill/hurt yourself with will be taken, phones, purses, bags, etc. They'll definitely look your body over, even noting things like tattoos, not just scars. They'll take your vitals. More than likely you'll be prescribed SOMETHING, which they have you take either morning, noon, or night, or all three. I'm sure that the bedroom doors being open while you sleep happens everywhere. And a nurse patrols the rooms all night.

Honestly, in the end these experiences depend on what type of risk you are to yourself and others. Hell, I was allowed to use my cellphone around the nurses once because I couldn't get the phones in the ward to work [and I didn't know numbers by heart].

Shy Kitten

I think one thing that is important to note is that things do vary from hospital to hospital depending on what sort of hospital you're being put into. I have been into two psychiatric facilities, both under an involuntary hold. The first one was a "behavioral hospital", also known as a mental hospital. Mental illness is what it specialized in. However, the second one I was put into was a Mental Health Ward and they did things a bit differently. So it does change depending on where you go.

Before I go on, I do want to encourage you to look into the psychiatric facilities available in your area. These places can seem scary and they can be hard to be in but if it's what is best for you then it is what is best. You need to do what's best for you. I hated both stays in the hospital and I felt betrayed by my therapist when she called a 5150 on me the second time. But looking back on it, I know she did what was best for me. I might not be around if she hadn't done that. Sometimes, the hospital is the best place for someone to be so I do want you to consider doing this and do some research into the hospitals/wards in your area. It'll be okay. heart

The first hospital I was in, as mentioned, was a mental hospital and I was sent there for attempting suicide. Before I went there, I was in the E.R for 27 hours because I didn't have insurance and no hospital wanted to take me. It was only when the county stepped in and agreed to cover the bills did a hospital accept me. The involuntary hold which lasts 72 hours began while I was in the E.R, so I spent the first night of the hold there. When they transferred me to the hospital, it was around midnight. The nurse who was there took me from the paramedics and put me in a secluded room. They made me fill out paperwork before asking me question after question, some of them including why I tried suicide and what had gotten me to that point. After the nurse was done questioning me, he found two female staff members to come in and check me. They asked me if I had any scars and I told them where and showed them. At this point, I was already in a regular hospital gown so they made me pull the gown up and down to check the rest of my body to ensure I wasn't lying. They also took pictures of any cuts they found on me.

The nurses took everything including my earrings. I wasn't allowed to have even earrings because I did have a history of self-harm and that made them see me as "dangerous". They gave me Ativan and sent me to bed. Most of the days in there were similar to each other. You get to see a doctor every day, although not at the same time. My doctor would sometimes come in the afternoon and she sometimes wouldn't come until 7 or 8 at night. You'll have therapy and groups, the hospital is going to try and keep you busy. They are going to encourage you to come out of your room and socialize a bit. Most likely, you will have one to two roommate(s). In the first hospital, I had two and in the second, I had one. Chances are, unless you're deemed an immediate danger to other people, you're not going to get your own room. Honestly, it can be nice sharing a room with someone else if you talk to them a bit. It's...comforting in a way.

I was put into the "low risk" ward. Mental hospitals, unlike regular hospitals with mental health wards, have different risk level wards. I wasn't determined to be an immediate danger to myself or others so I was allowed into the low risk ward. You most likely will be put there as well. The hospital I was in also had a high risk ward, children's ward, and (as the nurse's told me) a Bipolar ward.

In the psych hospital, visitors couldn't bring us anything like food and they wouldn't allow my mother to bring my stuffed rabbit no matter how much I begged them. None of the doors will lock and in our rooms, the bathrooms didn't even have doors. They were covered by a curtain and the nurses told me that was done so it was easier to check up on us. Most hospitals seem to do their rounds every 15 minutes, which is basically just checking up on all of the patients to see where they are and how they're doing. Privacy isn't going to be a thing, but you're not going to the hospital for privacy. You're going for help and supervision. The mirrors in the room weren't actual glass and the showers were hard to turn on. There weren't any knobs and you had to push a button that was rather heavy. You will not be allowed near anything sharp. This hospital wouldn't even allow us to touch a pen because it was deemed as being "too sharp". We weren't allowed to go out very often, only about twice a week for 30 minutes each day.

The second hospital I was in was a bit more lenient; I was honestly surprised at how lenient they were. I was sent to this hospital by my therapist because I confessed to her that I was going to try suicide again. They allowed me to keep my earrings despite my history of self-harm and they allowed our visitors to bring us food. In fact, the visiting hours were placed at lunch and dinner purposefully so our visitors could eat with us. It was really nice; it made it feel a lot less lonely and more home-y. The mirrors were actual glass and they had a patio we could go out on during the daytime. The patio is encased in glass though to keep us in. We were also allowed to put in a meal request to the cafeteria instead of having to eat whatever they gave us.

Both hospitals had "snacks". The first one had them out all day while the second one had three designated "snack times" where we were allowed to ask for something small to eat. Both hospitals won't allow anything sharp such as knives and wouldn't allow anything like strings. We could have jackets but the string had to come out. However, the second hospital allowed us to at least have pens. Both hospitals, the doors didn't lock and the staff checked up on us constantly. Both hospitals had therapies and groups throughout the day.

So there are a lot of similarities but there are some differences in how psychiatric facilities work. I encourage you to look into them and do what is best for you. I hope this post, despite its length, was able to help you at least a little.

I wish you the best. heart

Sparkly Vampire

I've been in a voluntary mental hospital. The difference being, the people are there because they WANT help and are choosing to get it, you don't get the crazies that fight people or threaten anyone or get aggressive because they don't think they should be there etc. So everyone was lovely and you meet a lot of nice people who can be all so open about your problems and it isnt this huge taboo like it is in the 'real' world.

If they deem you as a 'high' risk to yourself you'll have a nurse with you 24hrs a day. But if you're a lower risk you're free to go to therapy and meals by yourself. And theres therapy groups every day you're encouraged to go to, also yoga and gym stuff and an art room is open in the afternoon, and visiting hours for family etc.

You're never alone though. that's what I found most difficult. They come in every hour on the hour during the night to make sure everything's ok, and during the day there's constantly nurses everywhere. But they stopped me killing myself so that's all that really matters in the end. I've heard they treat you a lot different when it's a voluntary inpatient programme instead of if you say, attempted suicide and ended up in hospital and then got chucked into their mental ward.
I've been to one four times but wasn't for suicide. I have an mental illness and it was scary at the scary. Anyways, you'll meet with the ward's doctor and she or he will start you on meds if needed and helpful therapy.

Dangerous Bloodsucker

If by "suicide clinic" you mean Mental Hospital, then yes, I have.

5,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Josh ButterBalls PRO
My littlest sister had to be placed in one in januarary, she said it sucked but the people she met and how everyone made her feel was great.

She's much more positive now, I'd like to think they help.

This. My cousin felt the same way. It was a huge help for her. They don't try to take away your freedom to be mean, they just genuinely don't want you to hurt yourself. Please don't afraid to seek help. smile
My littlest sister had to be placed in one in januarary, she said it sucked but the people she met and how everyone made her feel was great.

She's much more positive now, I'd like to think they help.
Here's what'll happen:

Wake up
Breakfast
Therapy session
Lunch
Therapy session
Gym (or art/music class)
Dinner
Meeting with parents
Therapy Session
Bed

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
I've been admitted to a general clinic for suicide, and from what happened to me (and others I've known admitted to a general or mental hospital for suicidal tendencies), they'll strip you of any item you could use to kill yourself (that includes shoelaces, hoodie strings, belts, headphones), and you will be watched at all times (even when you use the bathroom), have someone talk to you every few hours (even at night) and you will not be allowed to check out until you are deemed safe to yourself or there's someone who's willing to watch you around the clock for 72 hours.

Cat

15,590 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I'm considering going.
What should I expect?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash