Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is my life story. My mother marries a man, but she has an affair with another man. The other man was also married and had children. He was older.

I was born and she assumes that the man she is married to is my father. They divorce when I am two years old, and I live with him and his relatives. He marries a woman who also has a child from a previous marriage. Together, they have two children. One of those children...looks nothing like him. Life is going well for me. I think I have siblings. I get to play outside and visit my mother on the weekends. However, my "father" and his wife start having problems, and they divorce when I am in the fourth grade. I move in to my mother's home and she has now remarried also, to a much older man who has children who are already adults. It does not go well for me, so I want to move back in with my "father" and his relatives, who are poor and live in small trailers now.

My mother pleads with me that I cannot do this, and when I inquire as to why I cannot, she reveals to me that my "father" is not actually my father. She says my real one does not even know about me, and he moved away to another state before I was even born. It did not sit well with me, but that was many years ago.

Now, she reveals to me that he has had another child and that he is millionaire rich, because of what she has seen on the internet. She will not tell me his name.

My mother also opened up to me about her childhood. Apparently, my grandmother had seven children with at least five different men. Two of them are drug users and makers. One is currently cooking meth in a trailer on a dead relative's property. One of the drug user half-uncles I have (or had? no one has heard from him in a while) molested my mother and my aunt when they were children. Apparently, when my aunt was six years old he held a gun to her head and made her suck him off, and he tried to rape my mother when she was around the same age, telling her that he was "gonna get her."

I feel like I have no sense of family. I don't even use that word anymore. Family. I call it the F-word in my mind. I dislike, if not hate, when people ask me "what does your family do?" or they talk about family like it's just something that everyone has. I hate hearing about family values, an honorable and respectable family, or things of that nature. I truly do hate that word. I hate seeing families, I hate hearing about family, and I find myself feeling hatred towards narrow-minded people with perfect lives who boast and take comfort in their families. They look at me with pity, and other people. I find myself hating everything about the white picket fence family life. I find myself just hating life now.

I don't know who my real father is. I don't even know if my Grandpa is my real Grandpa, as my mother does not think she looks like him and my grandmother was a neglectful promiscuous drunk when my mother was growing up. Although, I understand that both of my grandparents were uneducated. They come from very poor farm families. They did not even make it to ninth grade.

I find myself feeling hatred towards anyone who seems to have a good life. I feel like everyone else is better off than me. To make it all worse, I have dealt with bullying which still affects me now. I truly feel like my life sucks, and I want to knock other people down a peg or two. People who have good families, whose parents are married, who have things going for them and never dealt with bullying or family or health problems. It is not fair at all.

I am tired of people thinking about family. Family values, family effort, family names. I don't care about any of that. I just refer to it all now as "home." I don't say "family" anymore. I use the word "home" and "relatives" but I just can't even bring myself to say that dreaded F-word anymore.
The grass is always greener on the other side you know? To assume that people who have both their parents still married are better off is a bit naive, because that doesnt mean much. To assume that there is this 'perfect' person who never had any bullying or suffering of some sort is just you being grumpy. That doesnt exist. Now of course there are some people who are dealt with a harsher hand than others, but the solution isnt to lash out at people but to make thing better.

So your 'family' isnt your family? So make a new one. Some people make close friends and say that is their family. Some people are more attached to their parnters family than their own. some people really only have themselveds and their pets. Make your family to how you want. You cant change your parents but you can change how you adapt.
Family has nothing to do with blood. Most of my immediate family don't want anything to do with me unless they want something, or they're drunk (and growing up with an alcoholic for a father, I can honestly say I can't stand drunk people). You're not alone. The thing is, broken families are becoming so common these days that people are making their own from close friends, and you know what? It works. I've got a group of friends that mean more to me than my own blood relatives ever will, and it's those people that are my family. They're the ones I go to when I need help. They're the ones that I will drop everything for. Don't hate the word 'family', but instead, focus on what family means to you, and keep it in mind when you start your own.

II Earl Grey II's Darling

Get a therapist.... And move on, maybe once your older you can build a stable family learning from thier mistakes. <333

Invisible Senshi

I feel like I have no sense of family. I don't even use that word anymore. Family. I call it the F-word in my mind. I dislike, if not hate, when people ask me "what does your family do?" or they talk about family like it's just something that everyone has. I hate hearing about family values, an honorable and respectable family, or things of that nature. I truly do hate that word. I hate seeing families, I hate hearing about family, and I find myself feeling hatred towards narrow-minded people with perfect lives who boast and take comfort in their families. They look at me with pity, and other people. I find myself hating everything about the white picket fence family life. I find myself just hating life now.

I know a bit of how you feel. I just love it when people talk about family and whatever. If it makes you feel any better, I think people pretend to have great family members. If they barely know each other, they can get along alot better. They are also the louder ones; I would brag about family if that was the only good thing in my life (HAHAHA!) Don't think there are many people with "good" families...Sometimes it's just an act.

They can save their pity for themselves. There are only so many things a family member would help them with. That's why people make friends. That's why people marry. Family is not everything.

Do not feel like you have to hate life. If anything, you should hurry up and make sure you can live far away from them. There are so many cool things to do, you know? Hating life would only make time pass by slower.

The definition of family is: a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered as a group, whether dwelling together or not:
That's all what it is. People just made up how family members are supposed to be.

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
I'm with you on a few things. I grew up jealous of anyone with parents still together. I grew up jealous of people who had their biological father in their lives. Blood does not make family. I learned that at an early age. My mom was adopted so I'm not technically related to anyone on that side at all, right? lol My bio father is a dead beat. He doesn't give a care about me at all. My step dad is the father figure I have in my life although my mom and him divorced in like 2006 or 2007. I met him when I was 6 or 8 years old. My memory is not very good or I have blocked all the pain. I don't care enough to think about it that much or it could be because I had a stroke in 2005. My brother was by all technical means my half brother, but I probably would have jumped anyone who said he was not my brother. He was roughly 3 years older than me so I grew up with him. He died in 2005. My family was unable to move past this. Every day I heard about it. Every holiday I heard about if he were still alive. If I reminded them that my high school sweetheart died as well in the accident I got told off. It made me crazy. I hated being around them. My mom became abusive after the accident. I was scared for my life. I called the police a few times and my grandmother who lived next door waltzed right over and called me a liar. The police being paid off in that city and my grandmother having the money she has I was threatened to go to jail. CPS (Child Protective Services) was called. The agent asked me in front of my mom if she was abusing me. WTF lady.
My ******** lawyers from the accident never asked me privately what was going on, but admitted after I got control in 2011 that they thought something was fishy about the relationship I had with my mom. What did I do? When my lawsuit ended I took my money and left. I moved almost 2,000 miles away for a fresh start. I made my own family. I have my wonderful fiance' and 2 of the best kids ever.

Families can suck, but make your own eventually. Make your family better than the crappy one you had before. Life does eventually get better...
klein_eine
I'm with you on a few things. I grew up jealous of anyone with parents still together. I grew up jealous of people who had their biological father in their lives. Blood does not make family. I learned that at an early age. My mom was adopted so I'm not technically related to anyone on that side at all, right? lol My bio father is a dead beat. He doesn't give a care about me at all. My step dad is the father figure I have in my life although my mom and him divorced in like 2006 or 2007. I met him when I was 6 or 8 years old. My memory is not very good or I have blocked all the pain. I don't care enough to think about it that much or it could be because I had a stroke in 2005. My brother was by all technical means my half brother, but I probably would have jumped anyone who said he was not my brother. He was roughly 3 years older than me so I grew up with him. He died in 2005. My family was unable to move past this. Every day I heard about it. Every holiday I heard about if he were still alive. If I reminded them that my high school sweetheart died as well in the accident I got told off. It made me crazy. I hated being around them. My mom became abusive after the accident. I was scared for my life. I called the police a few times and my grandmother who lived next door waltzed right over and called me a liar. The police being paid off in that city and my grandmother having the money she has I was threatened to go to jail. CPS (Child Protective Services) was called. The agent asked me in front of my mom if she was abusing me. WTF lady.
My ******** lawyers from the accident never asked me privately what was going on, but admitted after I got control in 2011 that they thought something was fishy about the relationship I had with my mom. What did I do? When my lawsuit ended I took my money and left. I moved almost 2,000 miles away for a fresh start. I made my own family. I have my wonderful fiance' and 2 of the best kids ever.

Families can suck, but make your own eventually. Make your family better than the crappy one you had before. Life does eventually get better...

It sounds like you have had a hard life as well, but in different ways. It's good to hear that someone has overcome their problems and is doing well.

Friendly Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
I like you. I like you a lot, and that's weird to say, but it's true.

Life just isn't fair, and I don't care for much of my family either even though they're a "good" family. My mother is alright, my father is too nosey, my brother is too...perfect and far away, and my sister just doesn't quite..connect the way I do.

Of all things though, what upsets me is not your hatred for family but your hatred for life that stems from it. I don't know why you hate everything else, but I know that general negativity will make everything else negative, espescially if you LIVE around that negativity.

I really wish I knew what to say, but in situations like this, its just better to make the most of what you have. If you don't have a "family", then make one out of other people. I consider a girl my "sister" and treat her like one in all that I do because my real sister just...isn't a sister to me.

When you get older, and if you're interested, use this situation to restart everything. Choose one man, someone whose worthy and loyal, and start a life with him if you love him that much. Have children and make a family that you can deem your own and treat them in the best way possible and give them what you never got yourself.

That's really all the help I can give..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces