Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have recently broken the 150 pound marker, and I'm now 156 Ibs.

Case in point, I am not comfortable with this weight, and I cannot love my body knowing that I weigh this much.

(I'm 5'4, if it's relevant)

Of course, I'd be coupling it with daily exercise, but I'm just wondering if a gluten free diet is a good way to lose some weight and lead a healthy lifestyle?

At the beginning of this school year, I was 133 pounds, so I'd like to get back to that weight, or lower then that.
You're better off having better advice at the health sub forum.

A gluten free diet may be beneficial, but your body can result in many vitamin deficiencies. Nearly all gluten free foods/ drinks have folic acid, vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Iron, and one more deficiencyy. (I forgot that name but that's all I can remember)

A gluten free diet doesn't really guarantee you to lose weight it all matters on the portions you eat and what foods you eat with adequate exercise. This applies to all diets: vegans, vegetarians, ova-vegetarians, etc. It's not always the guaranteed diet to lose weight.
Gluten-free food is not healthier for you, and their is no real evidence that eating gluten free will help you loose weight.

The most important thing is to eat a balanced, wholesome diet. Instead of worrying about "gluten-free" look for whole-grain, minimally processed, carbohydrates. They have more vitamins and nutrients in them, and will keep you full for longer.

Blessed Prophet

Reducing gluten intake does nothing weight wise. It's just another big fad.

Tipsy Prophet

As said, gluten-free doesn't mean diddly. Just reduce your grain in-take. Raw foods are great and chalk full of nutrients. A lot of which are lost during cooking. Especially for vegetables. Monitor your portions. A balled fist is a good, general, rule of thumb of how much you should eat. Additionally, don't rely on AC and things like that. Forcing your body to regulate its own temperature will increase your metabolic rate.
I woudlnt call it a fad, since there are people who are not able to eat gluten, but it isnt really a 'diet' to loose weight. People who I know that cant have gluten arent happy about it.

You are better off trying to just portion out your food and eat healthy, and if you have to go on a diet, make sure you have a cheat day to keep you sane.

Liberal Sex Symbol

No. Gluten-free diets have no scientific backing that they're true and even the concept of having gluten intolerance and allergies is even being called into question.

At this point the only people who should be on a gluten-free diet are Celiacs
Maybe a lower carb diet is a better choice for you? You should speak to a doctor and/or a registered dietitian.

And you really need to stop being so harsh on yourself and try to love yourself for who you are right now. You're not going to magically love yourself when you hit 130 and you may lower that bar of acceptability lower and lower until BAM you have a eating disorder.

Remember that it's cool to aspire to tone the machine that's your body, but you can still be beautiful just as you are now.
Inscriven
No. Gluten-free diets have no scientific backing that they're true and even the concept of having gluten intolerance and allergies is even being called into question.

At this point the only people who should be on a gluten-free diet are Celiacs
Maybe a lower carb diet is a better choice for you? You should speak to a doctor and/or a registered dietitian.

And you really need to stop being so harsh on yourself and try to love yourself for who you are right now. You're not going to magically love yourself when you hit 130 and you may lower that bar of acceptability lower and lower until BAM you have a eating disorder.

Remember that it's cool to aspire to tone the machine that's your body, but you can still be beautiful just as you are now.

I'm going to see a dietitian next week, so I'll take this and what she has to say to try and get a healthier lifestyle :3

I loved myself when I was 133, something happened between the beginning of last year and now that bumped me up to 155 and I'm not okay with it. There's no "trying to love myself as I am," here, because I don't find this weight acceptable personally. I know I can do better, so I'm not going to settle for less.

I can assure you that I will not develop an eating disorder. My younger sister was anorexic, and I have a very harsh opinion of eating disorders in general.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff