Welcome to Gaia! ::

Many youth and young adults are not fully prepared for all that engagement entails. I was engaged about six months ago, but I broke it off when I realized engagement is just too much for a fourteen year old girl to handle. I realized a commitment that huge would be like cheating myself out of a stable, regular adolescence.

Like my friend Erik always says, not cheating while your young is like cheating yourself, because when you get older cheating is illegal and you have to pay for it.

I think engagement should wait until at least age twenty five. I have percentages and stuff to back it up.

If you and a partner are thinking of engagement, just wait. Stick to being bf/gf until your through college/university...it will be better for you in the long run.
Rubberducky__007
I can't really tell you what is the 'right age'. It is different for everyone. It's when you know for yourself that you can mentally handle being married and are really ready to be married. I'm 19 and I got married last Friday heart (Yay me xd ) A lot of perple might say that's too young, but I know myself better than anyone, so I know what is right for me. I know I am ready to make a total commitment to my husband for the rest of my life, even when it gets really tough. When you're ready, you will know wink

Congradulations!!! That's so awesome. Have a long happy life. And I totally agree with you. When you're ready, you'll know. I was ready when I got engaged, the man who asked me wasn't, though... and he still hasn't grown up enough to even stay with me.
My fiance and I got engaged after being together for two years, when were both 18 - and next month that will have been one year ago, and we're still together. However a couple of my friends got engaged when they were 16 (not to each other) and neither relationship lasted for more than a few months afterwards. I think it should depend on how long you've known the person, but under 17 is probably too young.
I've already decided that I'm not getting engaged until I'm out of school, and not married until I can support myself, financially and emotionally.
Wow this is all cool posts...In my case I feel it's something You can feel that you know you're ready for both you and your other half...(you have to get their opinion too)...after that you can discuss it with your loved one, see if the money is doable...and then just plan it at that point. For the age...in my case I'm 16 and I'm hoping i'll get married to my boyfriend but I pictured getting married when we're older... During the summer though I plan to move in with him in an apartment...it's perfect...it's only a 2min walking distance to school.

It also depends on the relationship too....my boyfriend and I were just friends in the beginning of the school year ...but during that time we knew sooo much about each other...from our family, family history, bad moments that we can learn something from it, health conditions...just about everything....anyways we got together around Feb.....and I've never been happier with anyone else than him... (I know from past relationships that he's the one...and no one can change it) heart heart
ok, i am 16 years old. i've been officially with my girlfriend for closing in on 4 months, but we've been talking about marrying for longer than that. we love each other very much, have had sex, are very good about talking to each other about everything, etc, but she is going to college 3000 miles away this summer. i still have another year of school before college, and we are planning on getting engaged in june behind my parents back because we haven't come out yet to anybody but each other. we plan to be engaged for the next 5 years, until i am out of college, and then we'll get married and move a ways away from our families. also, my parents are very homophobic and have been shitty to me, so even if i wasn't planning on marrying, i'd still move away. so basically, i'm in high school, i want to get engaged as a promise that we'll marry so that i dont lose my girlfriend when she goes to college, and we will get married after college when we're financially stable, and if for some miraculous reason our parents accept us, we wont move AS far away as we are planning. also, the two of us are top students in our school. we aren't a couple of high school dropouts looking for love. we're in love, have been for almost a year, and want to get engaged as a promise.

your thoughts?
Congrats to all those who recently got engaged/married!

My boyfriend of not-quite-two years and I are probably getting engaged this year, though we don't plan to actually marry for at least another two years. By the time that happens, I'll probably be 20 and him 22.
I just got engaged in February, and I am 19. I have had alot of people tell me that I was too young, but in my opion as long as you love the other person it is all fine with me. Just stay happy with yourself and the other person.
my friend is who is 16 is engaged to a guy who is 20. their families are pretty close, i mean his mom flew her out to see him and stuff when he left for the airforce....it seems pretty serious...
when i found out i was shocked and then okay with it.
i mean as long as shes happy, the it'll be okay.
as long as anyone is happy, nothing is wrong.
draefus
Oni-Angel
draefus
how young is too young? is there a limit to how well you should know a person before asking them to marry you ? do yyou think you should be with them for a certain amount of time ?
please give your own personal views on when you think it is right to get engaged

Are you getting engaged?

etc.

its definantly a strong possibility but i wouldnt be getting married for a few years but i figure that getting engaged and then getting married dont have to be close together it means ill promise my gf that i want to marry her and be with her for the rest of my life even if we arent getting married right away

Thats very sweet of you! Your sound like a really nice guy, your Girlfriend is an incredibly lucky girl, best of luck to both of you ^_~
I think that if you get a job and can support a family without parental consent, then maybe you should be engaged. Unless you don't have a job, can't support yourself and depend on your parents to buy things for you, then you shouldn't even thinking of being engaged, married, or having kids.
Misty Hayes
draefus
Oni-Angel
draefus
how young is too young? is there a limit to how well you should know a person before asking them to marry you ? do yyou think you should be with them for a certain amount of time ?
please give your own personal views on when you think it is right to get engaged

Are you getting engaged?

etc.

its definantly a strong possibility but i wouldnt be getting married for a few years but i figure that getting engaged and then getting married dont have to be close together it means ill promise my gf that i want to marry her and be with her for the rest of my life even if we arent getting married right away

Thats very sweet of you! Your sound like a really nice guy, your Girlfriend is an incredibly lucky girl, best of luck to both of you ^_~

why thank you but honestly i am the lucky one i just cant imagine life without her

7,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
draefus
Misty Hayes
draefus
Oni-Angel
draefus

Are you getting engaged?

etc.

why thank you but honestly i am the lucky one i just cant imagine life without her

Hmm, well, I suppose that it's true that once someone finds a person that really makes them feel good, that it's not too long until one wants to show the "world" the bond between the two.

My significant other and I don't think we'll be able to marry for a few years, but we've been together two years plus a few months, and what we have done is choose "commitment rings" that we wear all of the time. So even if we don't actually get married for a long time, we have symbols of how we feel for each other.

Also, have you considered how expensive a marriage liscence is? Some places make you pay about $200 just for the liscence, and then there are laws that say you have to have a wedding or some kind of ceremony within a certain amount of days. So I guess no matter what one does, there's no way to get out of a ceremony.

Blech.
*shrugs* my parents were married after only dating 3 months and theyre doing just fine and still very much in love. I myself am only 15 but kind of engaged. I mean it's not official or anything yet but i totally love my bf and i have NEVER felt closer ot anyone. Me and him already talk about the future, we've gone through REALLY hard times and had to learn to forgive. I dk maybe it's just me but i feel like even if we DONT get married this realationship is going to last quite a bit longer then it has already. But as for other people,i guess you'll just *know*.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff