Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know my problem isn't as important as suicide or other big problems, but anyway I'd like to know what you think about my situation and what I should do.

I live in a city, but my parents also have a house in a small village. Me and my grandma go there in the summer.
I never had any friends at school, but when I was like 11-12, I met Kate when I was in that village. Soon we became friends and she told me stories about the thing she likes the most:
UFOs, superpowers, spirits and such. She told me she was seeing them, that she talked to them, that her plushie dolphin was alive and that she could talk to him. I believed (I was still little + I was kinda interested in those things too.
So she taught me how to call the UFOs and the spirits etc. I was pretending I really saw them and could really talk to them, it was more like a game.
I was a bit carefree, so when I got back to school and told some people about it, of course they thought I was insane, which wasn't true.
Anyway, I enjoed this game until now -- I'm 14. Not that I want to act like those cool girls with make up and boyfriends -- I'm not really interested in those things right now. I like reading, internet, studying, drawing...
She's my best friend (I've got two friends in total). But she's constantly talking about those things. She has plenty of imaginary friends (ppl at her school think she's a freak) and an imaginary boyfriend. Kate's taking it too seriously, like it's real. She always tells me what her dolphin or her "boyfriend" said. Plus she made up a character that we have to fight against, he's name is Merk. She tells me he's threatening her and that he tries to kill her "boyfriend" and such things.
I tried to talk to her, I told her she shouldn't talk and think ONLY about this, because it isn't real. Then she told me that when we just became friends, we were talking only about my interests. Well, now we're talking only about her interests! stare
Her parents know about her imaginary world, and still they don't care, they think it's normal and that she's just a child and she has to play games. My mom knows about it too, but she couldn't give me any useful advice.
What should I do? I don't want to break this friendship because she's my best friend and I like her anyway. But it's really hard to take what she says to me all the time.
Well, I know it may be kinda wierd sweatdrop but please answer at least something... cry crying

Quotable Nerd

8,275 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
This may seem harsh, but you should talk to her about this world of hers. She is growing up and needs to leave that stuff behind. If that doesn't work maybe you should ask your mom to talk to her parents and have her suggest a counselor. But first definetly talk to her.
kira_miri
I know my problem isn't as important as suicide or other big problems, but anyway I'd like to know what you think about my situation and what I should do.

I live in a city, but my parents also have a house in a small village. Me and my grandma go there in the summer.
I never had any friends at school, but when I was like 11-12, I met Kate when I was in that village. Soon we became friends and she told me stories about the thing she likes the most:
UFOs, superpowers, spirits and such. She told me she was seeing them, that she talked to them, that her plushie dolphin was alive and that she could talk to him. I believed (I was still little + I was kinda interested in those things too.
So she taught me how to call the UFOs and the spirits etc. I was pretending I really saw them and could really talk to them, it was more like a game.
I was a bit carefree, so when I got back to school and told some people about it, of course they thought I was insane, which wasn't true.
Anyway, I enjoed this game until now -- I'm 14. Not that I want to act like those cool girls with make up and boyfriends -- I'm not really interested in those things right now. I like reading, internet, studying, drawing...
She's my best friend (I've got two friends in total). But she's constantly talking about those things. She has plenty of imaginary friends (ppl at her school think she's a freak) and an imaginary boyfriend. Kate's taking it too seriously, like it's real. She always tells me what her dolphin or her "boyfriend" said. Plus she made up a character that we have to fight against, he's name is Merk. She tells me he's threatening her and that he tries to kill her "boyfriend" and such things.
I tried to talk to her, I told her she shouldn't talk and think ONLY about this, because it isn't real. Then she told me that when we just became friends, we were talking only about my interests. Well, now we're talking only about her interests! stare
Her parents know about her imaginary world, and still they don't care, they think it's normal and that she's just a child and she has to play games. My mom knows about it too, but she couldn't give me any useful advice.
What should I do? I don't want to break this friendship because she's my best friend and I like her anyway. But it's really hard to take what she says to me all the time.

it is normal because I used to live in my imaginary world until time snapped me out if it...I'm sure that she would too...just that if she gets too lost in her world pull her back to the real one, as a friend.
joey86
kira_miri

it is normal because I used to live in my imaginary world until time snapped me out if it...I'm sure that she would too...just that if she gets too lost in her world pull her back to the real one, as a friend.

I tried to, many times exclaim But she doesn't listen to me. All she does is talking to me about her imaginary world and how it would be bad if it didn't exist.
I'd be dead by now if mine dosent exist...so I know how important it is to have one until your friend is ready to face the real one...

just let her be. time will help smile
NamekPrincess
This may seem harsh, but you should talk to her about this world of hers. She is growing up and needs to leave that stuff behind. If that doesn't work maybe you should ask your mom to talk to her parents and have her suggest a counselor. But first definetly talk to her.

I had a serious talk with her already and it didn't work. My mom tried to talk to her parents and told them about taking her to a councelor but they didn't listen.
joey86
I'd be dead by now if mine dosent exist...so I know how important it is to have one until your friend is ready to face the real one...

just let her be. time will help smile

Well, yeah. I've got some kind of imaginary world too. But I don't mess it with the real world and I don't annoy my friends saying: "Tom (my plush cat) said this, Tom said that".
And the worst thing is, she imagines that she can transform herself in anyone. Like a celebrity or a movie character. So she tells me: "Hi! I'm Legolas. What am I doing in this room?"
Really annoying.
if you try too hard you'll make her hate you a lot...I mean it's normal..just let her be herself..
Well since you can't really do anything, you've talked to parents and they seem to not be too concerned, just know that you gave it your all. I too am concerned from what I read, a girl that age shouldn't still be living in a fantasy world like that.

How about if, when she starts talking about these things, you just don't play into it? Just pretend you didn't hear her and distract her with real world things, like ask if she heard the latest gossip at school, or talk about something you saw on the news...things like that. Maybe, after a while, she'll realise that the attention she's trying to get by making up all these stories isn't working any more and she'll have to give up and join society.
joey86
if you try too hard you'll make her hate you a lot...I mean it's normal..just let her be herself..

I don't try too hard. I talked to her twice and she doesn't hate me. But still, nothing changed. I can let her be but then I cannot talk to her constantly. It takes all of my energy away, I don't know why. It's difficult to listen to.
She calls me everyday and if I don't reply she's getting worried and thinks I've lost my memory or such. I tell her it's not that, but she doesn't believe me.
sounds like a good suggestion ^_^
Dark_Enchantress
Well since you can't really do anything, you've talked to parents and they seem to not be too concerned, just know that you gave it your all. I too am concerned from what I read, a girl that age shouldn't still be living in a fantasy world like that.

How about if, when she starts talking about these things, you just don't play into it? Just pretend you didn't hear her and distract her with real world things, like ask if she heard the latest gossip at school, or talk about something you saw on the news...things like that. Maybe, after a while, she'll realise that the attention she's trying to get by making up all these stories isn't working any more and she'll have to give up and join society.

Thanks smile I think I'll try to do this.
just do what you think is right (works for me)
shock626
just do what you think is right (works for me)

I'll try, thanks ^.^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces