Welcome to Gaia! ::

I had birth control prescribed to me because of severe cramps. It definitely helps, but now I guess I'm at a normal pain so it hasn't gone away completely. It's actually made my period heavier I think. I can't use regular tampons at all. Always super lol. My mom had a hysterectomy, and trust me it's not worth it. It stopped her periods, but she continued to have severe cramps, which was the reason she got it in the first place. Her insurance covered it because it was medically necessary. See a doctor for sure though, it sounds worse than just severe cramps and heavy flows.

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
YoshiKaji
From what you are describing, that sounds like you have a condition called Endometriosis, and yes, you DO need to see a doctor since it is a serious condition. I have seen how much it can affect the person who has it(a very close relation of mine currently suffers from it). I know you have said that it is not affordable to see a doctor, but with this, you simply must get some medical advice and attention from a professional.

Helpful Links:
Endometriosis Info from the U.S. Library of Medicine
Mayo Clinic Endometriosis Page

This is my (un-professional, only based on your post) guess, too. I've heard the pill can mask this condition by making periods lighter and easier, but it doesn't actually solve the problem. Seeing a doctor will. You wouldn't be able to get those procedures done without seeing a doctor first, anyway.

Shameless Hoarder

22,750 Points
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • I Voted! 25
You need to go to a doctor. I go to a clinic that let me sign up for a sliding fee of what was originally $20 a visit, but because I got my state's specific free health care thing, It's only $3 now. See if your state has anything you can sing up for, and see if there are any clinics that have a sliding fee.

I went though several birth control treatments because I had horrible periods. I once even had clusters of cysts on my ovaries. Talk about pain. Eventually it progressed to I was bleeding for 2 months straight and got horribly anemic. And one time I went to the ER because I was passing blood clots almost the width of a tennis ball. (Which is the lining of the uterus, so I could feel my insides peeling.. god it hurt so bad.) They put me on a depo pravera shot, which I only get once every 3 months. I'm not positive, but I think it's less risk than the pills. Certainly easier to do. I love it. (And I know my machinery is horribly screwed up because my body still wants to constantly bleed. About 2-3 weeks before my shot is due, I can tell because I start to show signs of a period, no matter the time of month.)

I've never had a regular period and I really don't care to ever deal with one, so the shot works out perfectly for me. Even at the $20 a visit, it's cheaper at my clinic than it would be if I had insurance.

4,475 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Birth control pills are supposed to work wonders for all this. I was telling my cousin's fiance about my cramps and she suggested going on the pill 'cause she used to get them really bad too but ever since the pill, they've gotten a lot better. A lot of her friends too have had really severe things like you're describing and they all say that the pill worked for them.

If cost is a problem, there are places where they're cheaper (though you'd have to ask a doctor about it). I believe they're meant more for teenagers who don't really want their parents knowing so they're a lot cheaper since teenagers tend to not have a lot of money but it doesn't hurt to ask about it if you can.

6,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Informer 100
I don't think this would help very much but I'll go ahead and post anyway in case it does. I had to go to the ER recently for having a heavy period which I thought was a miscarriage. I was in extreme pain for two and a half hours and could not stop crying. Prior to that, I'd skipped my period twice and it'd been regular beforehand. Then again I'm only (two weeks away from) 18 and that's the first time it's happened. My doctor ended up prescribing birth control but I've yet to take it (should probably start soon : P). I'm sorry you have to deal with such shitty cycles but thank goodness there are options to help that. C:
I'm on the pill, and been on the pill for six years now. I got on the pill for the same reason as you did. My period was very irregular, very long, painful and very heavy. At first, my doctor gave me a painkiller naproxen, but I responded badly to that. After which me, my mom and my doctor came to the agreement that the pill was something to try. I got on stediril 30, which was a monophase pill, and I never got any side effects. It made my period more regular, less painful and shorter. Plus, I was able to regulate it, so I wouldn't get my period in very inconvenient moments.
Whether birth control pills give side effects really depends on your own body. I never got side effects, while others do. But then, there are so many pills that there must be one suitable for you. Are there any women in your family, like your mother or a sister, who are using birth control pills? If so, these pills would be a great start, as they are more likely to respond similar as you do to the medication.
I also heard that for reasons like this, many doctors do not want to preform hysterectomy on a young woman, as she will become completely infertile. Depending on your age, this also could clear itself up when you get older.
But for this, you need to see a doctor. Go see a planned parenthood or a free health clinic if you cannot afford a doctor right now.

Inkisitor Jester's Partner In Crime

Sparkly Fairy

10,250 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Megathread 100
I had the same problem. Some girls have worse periods than others. I am now on the Depo injection, it's an injection in your hip once every 12 weeks. It stops your bleeding, pain and protects you from pregnancy.

Best thing that has ever happend to me.
I dont think you should risk any of your 3 possible options
without doctorate consent sad

Shameless Nerd

16,100 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
My advice would be to go on birth control. The side effects are not as bad as they sound, and if you do get one then you can just change to a different pill. The cost is not so bad if you go to Planned Parenthood. If you're under 18, services are free. If you're 18 or over, you can bring in proof of income and they will work with you by reducing your costs.

Shy Genius

I am the exact same way. I took the pill, it helped a lot. My doctor also gave me some muscle pain meds for dysmennoreah.
However, I would go to the doctors if I was you, since these are also the major symptoms of endo

Gawker

My periods used to be just like you've described yours to be. It was irregular and very, very painful. I'd throw up sometimes because of it. They got heavier as I got older also.

At 15, I went on the the pill to help regulate, ease pain and keep them light/short. It's all to do with the hormones. I got lucky and I've been fine for nearly five years on the brand I first tried (Femodene). I've experienced no side effects (not everyone does; they're not definite, just a warning as it's a POSSIBILITY) and it's kept my periods managable. However, you will have to get a prescription for the pills. You can't just go buy them. So you'll have to see a doctor of some form.

At your age, you don't want to be getting a hysterectomy. That's a very extreme way to solve bad periods.
Your doctor will bring up the option of birth control first since it's generally a little cheaper. I suggest it. Your period sounds absolutely awful. gonk

8,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
Covenant Dance
Before it comes up, let me first say that I haven't taken this to the doctor because I don't have a doctor and I can't really afford to go see one at the moment. I do plan to go see one as soon as I can afford it, though.

For reference, I'm in my early twenties.

I have an awful menstrual cycle. I have:
1. An irregular, frequent cycle - Never at the same time, sometimes twice a month.
2. Very heavy bleeding - On the first two days, I usually go through a tampon/pad every 1-2 hours.
3. Severe pain beyond normal cramps - So painful that I have to drug myself up to the eyeballs and take time off school/work.
4. Cycles that last 7+ days - I don't think I've ever had a short/normal cycle.

I've been looking up ways to treat this because I know it's not normal. It looks like I have 3 options:
1. Birth control pills - I'm not too keen on the pills. I've looked at the side effects and a lot of them seem to outweigh the good. The cost would also be a bit of a problem.
2. Thermal Endometrial Ablation - Doesn't work as well for younger women as it does for older women. Younger women often need to have the procedure a second or third time for it become permanent.
3. Hysterectomy - It's really expensive (about $10,000). The recovery period is also pretty long.

If you could suggest something and/or give me your opinions, that would be great. If you're on the pill, I'd love to know how it works/doesn't work for you, and if you've had one of the above surgeries, I'd also love to know how it works/doesn't work for you.

I've trawled the internet but if you have an article that you think might be handy, I'd love to read up on it.

I am sorry but I am a guy...an old guy....a very very old guy...
anyway Planned Parenthood should look at you for free....call them...they have had programs for a long time to help women....I am sorry for all your problems.

Gramps

Popular Conversationalist

I've been on the pill because I kept getting my period really early, lasted a long time, ect.

It did it's job. Fixed the problems. I would have stayed on it, but my insurance switched the pill I could get to the generic, so I kinda stopped bc I didn't want to change pills, and haven't had too much of a problem since. I recommend that.. But keep in mind that the pill can also cover up more severe problems. You sound like they are serious enough to go to a gyno, whenever you can afford it. (At the end of the day, they will probably recommend the pill though).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff