Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magic Dabbler

9,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
I'm eighteen and I've accomplished nothing with my life.

My parents are upset that I have more or less mediocre grades and that I don't take school seriously. I've not learned a trade that would be useful to society, and I'm mostly on the computer all day, and I feel it's a terrible addiction and that it's stopping me from growing as a person.

I don't have the motivation to do anything and I definitely don't have determination and dedication to get what I want. I have a passion for drawing and writing, but I've done nothing to improve in those areas, and I've had years of free time that I could've used to my advantage. My parents have tried grounding me, and I've even tried grounding myself, but it usually ends up with me taking back my electronics and doing whatever I do (mostly Tumblr and MSN).

It seems that whenever an opportunity strikes, I always tell myself that 'Yeah, if I start doing x, then I'll be super talented one day!', but then when I do start to do it, I just lose interest. I think it mostly stems from me being a procrastinator, my insecurities, and feeling like it's too late to start something. The thing is though, I want to get good grades and have motivation and a passion to drive me to my goals.

My attitude also seems to be another problem. My mom says that I try to be different and that I am a non-conformist. She thinks I hate the world, but I don't. She wants me to be like my brother, who she feels represents society and what she thinks is 'normal'. For instance, she asked me how my piano classes were going, and I said that it was going well, and she suggested that I be part of my brother's band. I said no because all it will be is rock and metal music, and that my brother probably won't even get anywhere anyway. I think he's not dedicated enough. Then she got pissed off and told me how I am 18 and have gotten nowhere with my life, and that I am very stubborn. I don't like talking with my parents sometimes because all they would do eventually in a conversation is argue with me, which I try to avoid. It's why I can't talk to them about anything, because they would just say something really upsetting or wouldn't understand.

And I loathe how my mother uses my brother as a prime example to represent society. I hate my brother. He's fifteen. He is arrogant, selfish, ungrateful, egotistical and disrespectful to everyone. He thinks he is better than everyone else. He also constantly disrespects and fights with my mom. However, he is extremely intelligent and has friends and is outgoing. But he and I never get along. My mom constantly thinks that I am the one causing the rift between us, when its my brother who is doing that. I try to get along with him and be nice, but it's like he will never like me. He either picks on me and calls me fat and retarded and a loser, among other names, and he always tries to make me look like the bad guy. I don't understand how my mom can defend him when he treats us all terribly. The only one who can put him in his place is my dad, and not even he wants to deal with that half the time.

What do I do, Gaia? I haven't explained everything, but hopefully this is sufficient enough.
Okay the key thing here is "I'm eighteen and I've accomplished nothing with my life."
You are 18. You have your whole life to sort yourself out so don't write yourself off just yet.
So, how do you do that?
Well, you already know what you need to do, you've said it in your post. Get off the computer, and start doing stuff. Don't give up just keep going no matter if you lose interest. My tutor is always saying to us that you should only stop working when things are going well. If you stop when things are going bad then you wont want to go back to it.
JUST DO IIIIIIT.

Magic Dabbler

9,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
wotsit
Okay the key thing here is "I'm eighteen and I've accomplished nothing with my life."
You are 18. You have your whole life to sort yourself out so don't write yourself off just yet.
So, how do you do that?
Well, you already know what you need to do, you've said it in your post. Get off the computer, and start doing stuff. Don't give up just keep going no matter if you lose interest. My tutor is always saying to us that you should only stop working when things are going well. If you stop when things are going bad then you wont want to go back to it.
JUST DO IIIIIIT.

Yeah, I've tried the 'just do it' thing. I don't know if this fact is important, but I'm OCD and ADD. I have meds for it, but I don't know why I don't take them. I should. >_>

Shounen

It's okay to feel worthless, everybody does at some point.
        But you're not. Everybody has a purpose.
        I'm younger than you, and I often think I'm worthless, but it isn't true.
        You're only 18, you've got a lot more time to do something with your life than you think.

You need to have more confindence in yourself, otherwise you won't become motivated.
        You have to push yourself to do things, not just push that opportunity away.
        Maybe make a list of things you need to do, and do them one at a time.
        That's what helps me.
        You need to find other things to do besides getting on the internet.
        Do you have a job?

Magic Dabbler

9,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
that wasnt sugoi
        You're only 18, you've got a lot more time to do something with your life than you think.

You need to have more confindence in yourself, otherwise you won't become motivated.
        That's what helps me.
        Do you have a job?

No, I don't. Not at the moment, anyway, but my mom is offering to teach me how to edit and she told me she'd pay be around $250-300 if I get good.

Hallowed Hunter

meuIin

I'm twenty and I've accomplished nothing with my life. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Shameless Gawker

Well, if you tell yourself that you can't do anything then you won't. I know someone else has said it and you bitched, but JUST ******** DO SOMETHING. It is the solution. It isn't complicated at all, stop procrastinating. I know it isn't easy but really... it is not impossible. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and achieve something if that's how you feel.

Friendly Fairy

meuIin
that wasnt sugoi

That's what helps me.
        Do you have a job?

No, I don't. Not at the moment, anyway, but my mom is offering to teach me how to edit and she told me she'd pay be around $250-300 if I get good.

You're 18, if you feel like you're not doing enough.... do more. I'd make it more poetic and sweet but really that's the core of the issue. If you get distracted the first time so what? Keep at it. You're going to fail from time to time, the important thing is getting back up. Which you CAN do. You're playing out a self-fulfilling prophecy right now. Changing your actions one by one is a good start. Even if it sucks at first an even if you fall back into older habits of going on the internet. Just keep going and things will change.
Good luck!

By the way...... If you don't want the job ship it to me. I'll do it for free if I can get the experience and can put it on my resume.
meuIin
wotsit
So, how do you do that?
JUST DO IIIIIIT.

Yeah, I've tried the 'just do it' thing. I don't know if this fact is important, but I'm OCD and ADD. I have meds for it, but I don't know why I don't take them. I should. >_>

You keep doing that. Saying there is a problem then solving it for yourself but for some reason making an excuse as to why you haven't sone what you should. Stop making excusing and take the opportunities that have been given to you because there are people out thier who don't get the chance to just lose interest.
Find a job.... there are jobs that don't need any experience. There are places that don't need experience. You just got to go out of the house and start searching. Once you'll get a job you'll feel better about yourself and you parents will stop complaining.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff