Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Lunatic

legnanellaf5
Mental Trainwreck
legnanellaf5
Right now it is too soon to say anything. It only happened last night, so grieving is normal. What your mom is saying and feeling is normal.

I'm worried again...this morning, mom laid on Rocki's pillow (she had washed it), in his spot. She said she couldn't breathe, she was so upset. She hasn't been eating much.

Even dad said he was miserable went he went into work today. Mom has not played any music at all (she always puts the radio on).

She saw a doctor today, went to some group meeting, and she's on medication now. She works with animals. Rocki's body is in the freezer where she works at. He'll be cremated later today. There will be people coming to pick up his body.

Mom is not going to work for a few days.

I feel like this is your first experience with death. As still, all of this is normal. Your mom not giong to work when she works with animals is probably a good idea. Your mom being sad is normal, she isnt going to be happy anytime soon. She needs to grieve. She needs to deal with the loss. Your dad is going to do the same, just in his own way. It will feel really different because you will feel the loss of the dog on your everyday life.

It's not my first. Ive lost several close relatives. The hardest deaths were my grandma's in 2008 (mom's mom) and Nana in 2012 (dad's mom). Oh, and aunt karen in 2008, months after grandma died (dad's sister).

Grandma died at 63 or 64. Her death was sudden. It was the hardest death in our family. It just felt like a nightmare. She was always a smoker, and she had several back surgeries. She eventually got emphysema AND osteoporosis. She was the life of every family party, holiday, etc. I wish she hadn't smoked....if she hadn't smoked, she could've lived with just the back problems for a longer time. She was way too young to die. She LOVED Rocki, too. She went to the hospital a lot, and then one day, mom's brother called mom crying, "Mom's dead." (She was supposed to come home from the hospital).

Later in 08, Aunt Karen died. She was 50. She had breast cancer. Poor woman suffered. She died on her bed in front of her husband (my uncle jay) and kids (my cousins). I wasn't there; they live too far away. Karen was my dad's older sister. I can't even imagine how he felt. He took a plane to their town to see her funeral.

Nana died at 82. At least she lived a long life. It was sad though, cuz she was in a hospice for her final days. She had congestive heart failure. She was suffering. My parents saw her die. My dad saw his own mother die.

And then there's Gigi. My great grandma on mom's side. She was 93 or 94. I wasn't that sad because she was really old. It's too bad she nearly lost her vision before she died.

So yes, I've experienced death. I've had pets before. But the pets I lost were hamsters and fish, animals that don't live long.

Rocki is different. I've had him since before preschool. I graduated high school 2 years ago. I've had him my whole life.
She is reacting in a somewhat abusive manner. Someone needs to calmly but assertively tell her that no one is at fault, and that she needs to grieve in a manner that isn't placing blame on her husband...the man who is her support and life partner. If she doesn't listen, just let it go. It will take a while for her to come to grips if she cannot be brought back to sense through calm conversation.

Death will always be this hard. However, we all learn to pick up and move on. She will be fine. Everyone will be fine. You must accept that everyone is going to be in misery for a long time and work on being support for each other. Trying to make people happy is going to make things worse, so grieve together as a family. This is normal, and you all will eventually be happy again. Please don't worry too much and just be there if you are needed.
Mental Trainwreck
Thank you so much! We have 2 other dogs, one is 3, the other is 2. I think they'll heal us. I'm glad we have them. I love them as much as I love Rocki. In 2011, we got Harvey because we saw him in a pet store & he was small and cold and alone. Then in 2012, we got Leo cuz Rocki did not want to play with Harvey, and Harvey needed a buddy.

Harvey & Leo are always together, no joke. They loved Rocki so much. When he died, dad said they say by him. When Rocki got sick once, they sat by him for a few minutes. Another time, Rocki wasn't feeling good, and Leo sat by him. Leo would not take his eyes off him. For minutes.

You're very welcome.
I am glad you have other dogs.
They need your love and attention too!

Your friend,
B.

Hilarious Lunatic

Chicken Zombie
She is reacting in a somewhat abusive manner. Someone needs to calmly but assertively tell her that no one is at fault, and that she needs to grieve in a manner that isn't placing blame on her husband...the man who is her support and life partner. If she doesn't listen, just let it go. It will take a while for her to come to grips if she cannot be brought back to sense through calm conversation.

Death will always be this hard. However, we all learn to pick up and move on. She will be fine. Everyone will be fine. You must accept that everyone is going to be in misery for a long time and work on being support for each other. Trying to make people happy is going to make things worse, so grieve together as a family. This is normal, and you all will eventually be happy again. Please don't worry too much and just be there if you are needed.

I forgot to mention, it's been getting better. She saw a therapist. And she and dad talked it out, and doesn't blame him anymore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff