Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bunny

I've never been good with talking to other people. Hell I've known about this site for over 4 years and don't have one friend to show for it. But generally speaking for people who struggle socially, how often do people really break out their shell. I've so many stories and so many pep talks it just doesn't sound like something I can do. I must have missed something.

Friendly Shapeshifter

5,000 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
I'd say that all it really takes is practise. Both me and my boyfriend are naturally shy and introverted, for example, but you wouldn't even begin to think that when we're both re-enacting - through the hobby of educating member's of the public, and talking to crowds en-masse, we've learnt how to push our shyness aside. It helps if we're talking about something that we are knowledgeable/enthusiastic about. I also found that volunteering in a charity store and striking up conversation's with the customers helped too.

Spoopy Kitten

It probly depends per person. Im 19 with a boyfriend and two close friends. Thats not very typical of your every day 19 year old. Im just not into making friends

Gracious Gekko

I feel the same, I'm usually too shy to ever talk to anyone. But recently I've been--as you say--"breaking out of my shell" and talking to people in classes for the first time in about two years. For me, there was just a point where it came down to being shy and letting that complicate things, or just acting like someone braver and getting what I needed. I don't know if your particular problem is timidity, but once I read "shyness is the belief that should be the arbitrators of your decision-making process when the opposite is actually true.", I kind of figured it out and learned to cut it out more often. As relationships... I have one best friend, a cat, and a mostly-understanding family. So, I guess you couldn't say I've really made a lot of progress, but my grades have gone up, and I'm having an easier time at school from being able to participate and interact more freely, or efficiently, anyway. I don't really ever expect to have a whole crowd of friends around me, but I'm okay with that, personally. Good luck...

Timid Ladykiller

You'll always kind of back slide from time to time. Knowing when to push yourself and when to let go and just stay back is kind of important and it takes time.
I don't really think you just get over it or break out of your shell. Getting over social anxiety and other issues is more about figuring yourself out and coming to terms with yourself rather than forcing yourself to get used to it, and go out with a smile. Its more about self love than anything else.
The more you become comfortable with yourself, and don't beat yourself up for the times you've failed to be outgoing and social, the more you'll learn to accept you can't always be outgoing and social. You learn to divide your time, and go out when your at your peak and really enjoy yourself when you're out instead of trying to force yourself to enjoy it when you cant. This sort of breeds a positive chain of events where you go out feeling your best, have a good time, therefore feel better, therefore can go out again.
Learn to take the times that you can't be at your best and resting periods where you take time to take care of yourself. Don't constantly push yourself if you can't do it cause then you'll always be strained and never at your best. Get comfortable in your own skin first and the rest starts to happen naturally.
I used to suffer from anxiety. Therapy didn't help, the only thing that helped were my parents and friends that pushed me into uncomfortable situations. Yea, I'd get panic and anxiety attacks, and yea, it wasn't fun... But I overcame my anxiety. I taught myself how to handle my panic and anxiety attacks. It takes time, but once you've learned how to manage yourself in a social situation, you really just get over the anxiety. I still have issues here and there. But I've come a long long way and I'm happier now too.
It can, however it isnt like easy work. It isnt easy to do things you are scared of and be more social and learn those skills however you can do it and most people have to anyways to live. Like if you work at a job that requires talking you have to suck it up and do it even if you arent 'good' at it.

You need to be willing to work on your issues and willing to put yourself in situations you are not comfortable with so you can be.

Bloodsucker

I have social anxiety. It used to be extreme where I couldn't even go to a simple place like the mall without some panic attack.
I landed a job, and being forced to socialize with customers helped. But I'm not gonna lie, the first day of my job my mind and anxiety made me sick to my stomach- to the point I was vomiting.
Now I'm more confident when it comes to being in the public.
You have to put yourself in situations where you have to communicate to people- at least that was what helped me. You get used to it because it becomes the norm. The job will make it kind of like a routine, and routines soon become second nature. Before you know it, it's just part of your day and not some huge lump that prohibits you from living a basic life.

I'm still a little ways off. I only have... 2 friends? And even then I hardly reach out to them. But that isn't due to social anxiety- more on the introverted scale.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff