Welcome to Gaia! ::

so I know this guy, and it sounds creepy but we never talked at all. He just smiled at me and I smiled back. But I was on my facebook which I never use because I hate facebook and I came across his profile through another friend so I added him and the request was pending but I thought to myself I don't want to meet him this way, but I thought what if this is the only way I will be able to? But I just HATE starting relationships through facebook/online sites period. Plus I don't feel like I really need him that much. I'm bad at it and I look bad online because I'm bad at online talk and txting and such. Should I feel bad for not initiating it through facebook? Did I just ruin something fantastic?

I'm not looking down on people who meet their boyfriends/girlfriends through online social networking sites, it's just not how I want to do it.

besides i have to admit i'm kinda desperate right now and I don't want to start a relationship in this state, and cling to anyone who smiles at me

i'm not stable emotionally and i am extremely paranoid and defensive. i need a friend and support system but i can get that through irl.
msisme
besides i have to admit i'm kinda desperate right now and I don't want to start a relationship in this state, and cling to anyone who smiles at me

i'm not stable emotionally and i am extremely paranoid and defensive. i need a friend and support system but i can get that through irl.

There's nothing wrong with starting a friendship on a website - you don't have to make it romantic! However, if you hardly ever use facebook, you shouldn't feel bad about not initiating a conversation there.

I also wouldn't call "we never talk, but we smile to each other" something fantastic. There's nothing wrong with reaching out, but do it on your own terms in a way you're comfortable.

Enduring Codger

Hey, while I despise Facebook, it's a good way to network, see it as a tool.
I mean no harm comes from trying it out right? If it doesn't work out, it wasn't mean to be, if it does great!

I dunno, think your over complicating things.

Tipsy Hunter

It definitely shows that you're a bit emotional and paranoid. You haven't even gotten the friend request accepted and you're starting to worry about all of this! Take a step back and calm down a little bit.

Try to take things one at a time. Don't build up all of this "what if" stress for no reason. It's totally ok that you don't like the idea of starting a relationship on Facebook. It's also totally ok if you do decide to talk to this guy on Facebook. You said yourself that you don't really know him, so maybe using Facebook is a good start to getting to know him. Frankly, friending someone on Facebook that you sorta know isn't weird at all, people do it all the time. That's how a lot of friendships start, so don't think you made a mistake there.

Wait to decide on what to do with this guy until he actually accepts your request. Don't even think about what you'll do when he does, or how you'll talk to him. Just take things one at a time or else you're going to get all riled up over nothing.
I think you have some issues with f b that you need to deal with. You are overreacting waaayyy too much over a friend request on a site.

Spoopy Strawberry

19,125 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Party Animal 100
honestly, the longest, best, most fufilling relationship ive ever had was started on an online dating site
it doesnt matter so much where, or how you meet, it matters more how you two connect

Eloquent Lunatic

If you're bad at online talk, ask him if he wants to meet you somewhere for coffee or whatever.
The worst thing he can say is no.

Lavish Loiterer

Jeeeeeezussss...

Calm your tits, darling. You just added him as a friend on fb...why does that have to imply that something is going to happen? Breathe, my dear. Take some baby steps: keep to small talk and light chatter and see how it goes.
Mae Lovelyn
Jeeeeeezussss...

Calm your tits, darling. You just added him as a friend on fb...why does that have to imply that something is going to happen? Breathe, my dear. Take some baby steps: keep to small talk and light chatter and see how it goes.

Sliiiiiiiiiiiiifer the excutive producer.

This girl said it all you're seriously overthinking this,

Truthful Lunatic

9,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I would say you didn't ruin anything; it's just a step towards meeting someone.

As long as you already know that you are not stable emotionally and that you might cling to someone solely based on a smile or emotional support, then you should mostly be on the safe side. I say get to know the guy first, and maybe he won't turn out to be as awesome as you think after all.

Best of luck.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
msisme
so I know this guy, and it sounds creepy but we never talked at all. He just smiled at me and I smiled back. But I was on my facebook which I never use because I hate facebook and I came across his profile through another friend so I added him and the request was pending but I thought to myself I don't want to meet him this way, but I thought what if this is the only way I will be able to? But I just HATE starting relationships through facebook/online sites period. Plus I don't feel like I really need him that much. I'm bad at it and I look bad online because I'm bad at online talk and txting and such. Should I feel bad for not initiating it through facebook? Did I just ruin something fantastic?

I'm not looking down on people who meet their boyfriends/girlfriends through online social networking sites, it's just not how I want to do it.

Just send him a message that you would like to talk on the phone or in person, there's nothing wrong with meeting locals online anyway. Just get to know the guy in person and take things slow.
Mae Lovelyn
Jeeeeeezussss...

Can you please stop using terms of endearment on strangers? Like seriously, I ******** hate that s**t. Is this person your "darling" or "dear"? Are you her ******** mother? No? Then don't call her that!

Eloquent Lunatic

Panda Shammy
Mae Lovelyn
Jeeeeeezussss...

Can you please stop using terms of endearment on strangers? Like seriously, I ******** hate that s**t. Is this person your "darling" or "dear"? Are you her ******** mother? No? Then don't call her that!

It's a really common way to talk in some parts, honey. wink
New Vogue Child
Panda Shammy
Mae Lovelyn
Jeeeeeezussss...

No.it.isn't.
It is a really common way to patronize someone, though.
Do you feel inferior to people and feel as though you must patronize someone so that you may feel superior to someone else?

Eloquent Lunatic

Panda Shammy
New Vogue Child
Panda Shammy
Mae Lovelyn
Jeeeeeezussss...

No.it.isn't.
It is a really common way to patronize someone, though.
Do you feel inferior to people and feel as though you must patronize someone so that you may feel superior to someone else?

I think that might just be a you thing, and that's okay.
It's really not usually used that way, in my experience. Now, if you were to see someone say, "Well bless your heart..." on the other hand, that's another story entirely.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff