Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know I spelled that wrong.... well anyway, I have discovered that concillers have the habit of asking you all these personal questions and not ever shutting up if you're not talking. Seriously, why do they expect you to spill your heart out to a complete stranger? And one that is at least twenty years older then you too.

Anybody else found a similar problem?
Counselors help in many ways. You just have to be trusting of them. My counselor has actually turned into a close family friend, because my whole family has gone to her one time or another. Then again, I can trust her because I went to her on my own, and I'm not a teenager.

Of course, I can understand why some teens have problems trusting people who are trying to help them. Especially if you're not going because you decided to.

Just be alittle more trusting. They really can help.
Naiya Masoka
Counselors help in many ways. You just have to be trusting of them. My counselor has actually turned into a close family friend, because my whole family has gone to her one time or another. Then again, I can trust her because I went to her on my own, and I'm not a teenager.

Of course, I can understand why some teens have problems trusting people who are trying to help them. Especially if you're not going because you decided to.

Okay, and just why should I trust them?
Sayain4Ever
Naiya Masoka

Because, as she said, they can help you if you're willing to trust them. They ask you so many questions because they want to know the whole situation that you're asking them about.
they think that because they have all these years of training that they should be able to solve your problems, but they fail to take into account that kids and teens probly would rather talk to someone they know or someone they're own age than an expert. they a lot of times try to make is seem comfortable by talking about current events and things we'd know about, but sometimes that just dosen't cut it. do any of the schools, churches or youth organizations in your area offer a peer counsoling program? It s where you get to talk about your problems with people your own age and get their spin on things. maybe a group counsoling thing with people your own age and a group leader might help, that way you can see that you arent alone in life's struggles no matter how big or small they may be. these might be more comfortable than an adult stranger no matter how many credentials they have.
You're being forced to see one aren't you?

Counselors are trained professionals, who can help with your problems, whether you think you have them or not.

I can't make you see why you should trust them. That, dear, you will have to figure out on your own. Maybe you'll figure it out when you're older and not so horomonal.
Sayain4Ever
Naiya Masoka

Why would you go to one if you weren't planning on telling them things? You should trust them because they wont tell anyone else what you say to them unless it's serious.
forest_imp45
they think that because they have all these years of training that they should be able to solve your problems, but they fail to take into account that kids and teens probly would rather talk to someone they know or someone they're own age than an expert. they a lot of times try to make is seem comfortable by talking about current events and things we'd know about, but sometimes that just dosen't cut it. do any of the schools, churches or youth organizations in your area offer a peer counsoling program? It s where you get to talk about your problems with people your own age and get their spin on things. maybe a group counsoling thing with people your own age and a group leader might help, that way you can see that you arent alone in life's struggles no matter how big or small they may be. these might be more comfortable than an adult stranger no matter how many credentials they have.

Exactly! Except that.... I am one of the peer counsolers.... stare
Just to clear things up, I wasa being forced to go to a counseler. No choice.
Not all counselors forget that kids are uncomfortable around them. Did you forget that they don't go to the kids? The kids or the parents go to them. They're just doing their jobs.

If you have had experience with a counselor that doesn't treat you with respect just because you are a kid, then find another. Not all of them are as bad as you think they are.
It all depends. Personally, I would at least give it a shot. What harm can it do? Counselors aren't allowed to discuss anything their patient tells them unless they feel that he/she poses a threat to him/herself or others. It's called confidentiality. Sometimes it's easier to tell someone who you don't know how you feel because that means he/she can look at it objectively because he/she isn't involved in the situation. It can't hurt, it might help. What have you got to lose?
Sayain4Ever
I know I spelled that wrong.... well anyway, I have discovered that concillers have the habit of asking you all these personal questions and not ever shutting up if you're not talking. Seriously, why do they expect you to spill your heart out to a complete stranger? And one that is at least twenty years older then you too.

Anybody else found a similar problem?

Yeah some counslors can be really crappy, but some are really good. Like I had this young one and sometimes we'd just talk about music, fashion, movies, shopping e.t.c and we'd talk about my problems to of course.

And its kind of there job to ask you personal questions...... you don't have tp answer though.... but they still have to keep asking...... but yes it can get ennoying. Like if you say no to one of there questions but they ask again just in case your lying and then you begin to think your lying and questioning yourself..... now thats ennoying.
most highschool councillors are underqualified asshats who's only usefull purpose is to help guide you in your career choices and which classes to take. beyond that ******** 'em, go see a psychologist if you want your head examined.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff