Welcome to Gaia! ::

Garbage Gaian

I need advice I don't know how to tell my mum that I'm a lesbian, it's not that she'd be homophobic her best friends are gay I just don't know how to tell her so have any of you guys got any tips to help me because I want to tell her I don't want to keep my sexuality a secret from my mum
Why do people feel the need to tell their parents they're homosexual? What are you going to gain from this?

Garbage Gaian

Nananabatman69
Why do people feel the need to tell their parents they're homosexual? What are you going to gain from this?

Because I don't want to keep such a big secret from my mum
Support and comfort

Friendly Citizen

You should ask your mom how she feels about her friends and their marriage (or if they got married) to feel her out and make sure she's totally open about it. If she seems open and accepting of it, you should just straight out tell her - in a quiet one-on-one setting preferably.

Adorable Fisher

Sit her down and tell her straight out. That's the best way, face to face. Its best to be humble about it, saying maturely. Less of a "I'm here I'm queer deal with it!!" and more of a "mom, I'm a lesbian. I know that's difficult for a mom to hear because your daughter may be bound to have a harder life, but this is who I am, I can't change it. I hope you can support me, because with your support I will have an easier life." Or if you're nervous, you can do it over the phone in the presence of a friend who supports you.

Garbage Gaian

MarigoldMari
Sit her down and tell her straight out. That's the best way, face to face. Its best to be humble about it, saying maturely. Less of a "I'm here I'm queer deal with it!!" and more of a "mom, I'm a lesbian. I know that's difficult for a mom to hear because your daughter may be bound to have a harder life, but this is who I am, I can't change it. I hope you can support me, because with your support I will have an easier life." Or if you're nervous, you can do it over the phone in the presence of a friend who supports you.

Thank you for this advide it'll really help ^_^

Rainbow Lover

Every time I came out to someone I sat them down with a well thought out letter. Being confident in yourself when you come out - letter or no letter - will make a big difference.

Thirteenth Mystic

insert paige
You should ask your mom how she feels about her friends and their marriage (or if they got married) to feel her out and make sure she's totally open about it. If she seems open and accepting of it, you should just straight out tell her - in a quiet one-on-one setting preferably.

I agree. My mom was convinced I was a lesbian for the longest time until I was in a long term relationship. She couldn't have cared less, Lol. Good luck telling her. Things should go well.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Nananabatman69

It kinda depends.
I did it so I could be honest with my parents about my sexual preferences.
But they had it figured out, so it wasn't a surprise.

Kawaii Sentai

User Image
User ImageUser Image

Make her read your post

User ImageUser Image

8,575 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Just be upfront about it.
If she's not homophobic and her friend is homosexual, I don't see how there's gonna be an issue with you being one as well.
Maybe during dinner.
Something along the lines of "Please pass the butter/salt. By the way, I'm a lesbian."
It's only a big deal if you treat it like one.

Newbie Noob

First, you do have to ask yourself, what are you going to gain from this. Or more specifically, how much of a risk is there of her freaking out and what damage can she do to you? I mean, it's one thing to come out when you're hundreds of miles away, and another to live under the same roof.

If you think she can and maybe would seriously damage you, then you might want to hold off.

Secondly, now that you've decided to tell, practice first. Find a friend and come out to them like you would come out to your mother. Your local chapter of GLAAD probably has some good advice, too. Don't be ashamed to seek out help outside your family.

Lastly, come out. Realize, like a lot of things in life, after it's over, and assuming you're accepted in the family, it's not a big deal. It's semi-antclimatic. Again, if your folks are having issues, you might want to hop over to GLAAD with your mom.

Spoopy Kitten

When you get a girlfriend, introduce her to yer mom as yer girlfriend
Sweetheart, your Mom probably already has an idea and is just waiting for you to tell her. Just be honest and don't dramatize it. I am not trying to belittle your sexuality, but it just isn't the huge deal it once was. You are still you, you still love your Mom and she still loves you, and life will always go on, so stop worrying about it, tell her so that this is not something you feel coming between you and her, and go on from there. Love yourself and be proud that you are the strong person you are. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff