Welcome to Gaia! ::

I self harm and have been doing it since I was 16. I've been told about a billion different things from a billion different people. I was told if I cut, I would be placed in a mental hospital. I was told if I cut, I wouldn't unless I was suicidal. I cut myself very deep once and was committed despite telling them repeatedly I was not suicidal and wouldn't do it again. Then on another occasion, I cut almost the same, as deep as the one before and they gladly stitched it and sent me home.

I live in South Carolina and I don't know their laws but why do I get inconsistent information from different therapists, psychiatrists, social workers, etc.?
Firstly I am not a medical doctor nor do I have professional training in any area regarding mental health or self harm. If you're suicidal please seek help by calling 911.
Now with that disclaimer, from my own personal experience, self harm is a reaction to some form of stress. This could be anxiety or depression. Self harm isn't always synonymous with suicide or suicidal thoughts/tendencies. Course that all being said it's not a healthy response to stress and you should try to find other forms of response like a hobby or physical activity. Heck even keeping a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it when you get the urge to cut can be helpful. I hope this helps you in some form or another.

Dapper Gaian

1,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Timid 100
  • Full closet 200
I'm going to repeat
"Firstly I am not a medical doctor nor do I have professional training in any area regarding mental health or self harm. If you're suicidal please seek help by calling 911."

Depends, I think.
My niece took a lot of pills, and she spent a night in a mental hospital.

You sound like you want to be sent to a psychiatric hospital?

Blessed Prophet

As a former cutter I can say that cutting isn't always a sign of suicide, in fact cutting can be very addictive. Hell, half the time when I cut I did it because I didn't want to die. When you experience pain, your brain releases natural painkillers in order to combat the pain. This is why you can feel good after a long run, or a sense of relief after cutting.

Cutting is a destructive behavior because it does physical and permanent harm to you. If you cut in the wrong place, or cut too deep there is a real chance of dying. Not to mention the infections you could get from having an open wound like that. I know I'm really lucky with my deep cuts that should've been stitched up didn't get infected.

If you ever need to talk, or just want some information on the science behind why cutting is addictive feel free to message me.
ShadowSkies
I'm going to repeat
"Firstly I am not a medical doctor nor do I have professional training in any area regarding mental health or self harm. If you're suicidal please seek help by calling 911."

Depends, I think.
My niece took a lot of pills, and she spent a night in a mental hospital.

You sound like you want to be sent to a psychiatric hospital?

Actually the opposite. I want to be able to cut as deep as I can (no suicidal intent) without being put in a psychiatric hospital.
oidptmidfk
I self harm and have been doing it since I was 16. I've been told about a billion different things from a billion different people. I was told if I cut, I would be placed in a mental hospital. I was told if I cut, I wouldn't unless I was suicidal. I cut myself very deep once and was committed despite telling them repeatedly I was not suicidal and wouldn't do it again. Then on another occasion, I cut almost the same, as deep as the one before and they gladly stitched it and sent me home.

I live in South Carolina and I don't know their laws but why do I get inconsistent information from different therapists, psychiatrists, social workers, etc.?

The standard is typically "danger to self or others", and different people have different definitions of "danger". A lot of it is the doctor/therapist's background/training, and some of it is how YOU present to the doctor in question -- are you willing to admit you have a problem? Do you sound like you're actively working and making progress on it? Are you in control of your emotions and able to communicate on a rational adult level during the interaction? Are you taking steps to control infection and self-injure without causing long-term damage?

So basically, it's a crapshoot. You can push the odds in your favor, though.

Peculiar Doll

oidptmidfk

I cut from the age of 7 to 16. I was deemed at risk to myself and when my parents said they couldn't keep an eye on me, I was sectioned because I was a "risk to myself" and might kill myself despite not intending to. I live in the UK, so it might be different, but if you're a risk to yourself or others that's grounds enough. They will normally check a number of things, but if you have a support system and can be kept an eye on, they won't section. Sectioning isn't their first choice.

I'd been stitched up without problems sometimes, stitched up nastily at others. As soon as someone realised just how often I needed stitches, they looked into my situation.

If you self harm and are at a risk of cutting blood vessels, they can easily say you're a risk to yourself. Particularly if you have no intention of stopping soon and have been getting worse.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

I cut from ages 13 to 20. I was almost sent to a mental institution by my parents for it because mine was because I was suicidal and wanted to kill myself. Luckily, I was able to talk out all of my problems with someone at school. It's addicting, and it's dangerous. While I don't know laws 100% as I'm not a professional in that field, but sometimes if someone is concerned about your mental health and they see your cuts, they might anonymously (or non-anonymously) report you to police or a trained professional about it. If a hospital is concerned that your cutting is suicidal, they might put you into a mental institution over night for watch. But if it's just one deep cut, they might assume it was an accident at home and not self-harm. Please don't let your cutting get out of control, as it is addicting. Please, please, please be careful. User Image

User ImageUser Image
You will be instituted if they feel you are a danger to yourself and/or others.

Friendly Dog

17,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Object of Affection 150
**I'm not a professional**

My friend used to cut her self, she said it made her feel good. She stopped over 10 years ago. Looking back she said it just felt good, she'd never try to kill her self.

Try looking into group meetings and talk it through with other people with similar thoughts as you.
They could also maybe help you find other means of releasing your pain: riding a roller coast, screaming into a pillow...

Also always keep important contacts on hand just in case you feel like you one day would hurt your self.
http://www.sprc.org/states/north-carolina
Notify friends and family; should there come a time where you need their help because you feel like you can not go on. Inform them how they can help you.
I used to self harm between the ages of 12 and 19. I dont know how you view it but i personally dont view it as healthy at all whether the person is suicidal or not. My guess is if you are getting different opinions or reactions to it is because it all depends on the why. Why do you do it. Youre answer to that question would determine whether or not someone would tell you that you should be in a mental hospital OR you just need therapy for it.
*Not a doctor.

Different institutions may have different policies under which they admit patients. It may also depend on how your parents want to handle it, if you're a minor. I don't think it's set in stone.

Hallowed Gekko

In my experience it's mostly just the persons personal reaction.

Some people I feel only learned about it, and thus make the textbook decisions (oh, you're suicidal).

Others I think actually understand that there are a lot of different motivations and reasons for cutting, and actually believe you when you say you aren't suicidal. I don't know, perhaps because I have been so many times, but I can tell if someone is lying about it. I think that very experienced professionals can, too.

Anyway, I know nothing about the laws, so good luck on that.

Busy Bunny's Widow

Sweet Spirit

User Image
y'all need to stop calling it a "mental institution"
it's just a hospital. it is literally part of a hospital.

Wealthy Consumer

8,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
oidptmidfk

Hello, I'm actually a Psych major in Human Services, about to graduate.
In Ohio and Kentucky at least, if you are over the age of 18 you can NOT be forced to go to a mental hospital for cutting. Nor can you be forced to go if you're just -feeling- suicidal. You will only be forced to go if you actually attempt suicide or have been giving a lot of warning sides of planning on suicide.
I don't know if you go to someone for counseling, but you can literally tell them anything and they wont' report you AS LONG as you are not going to kill yourself or others. You could rob a bank and they wouldn't tell.

As someone with severe depression and anxiety, I have an idea where you're coming from. You may hurt yourself when you're upset or feel like you "need to be punished". I had a huge burning problem for a while... the marks are still there. There are times when "I want to die" or feel suicidal... but I'm not actually going to kill myself (though there were a few times I tried, and yes, was sent to a mental facility for help).

Listen, I'm here if you need someone to talk to. I won't judge, and I'll do the best I can to help you or tell you anything you want/need to know.

What you are doing and why you are doing it are for your own reasons... but you need to ask yourself... does it actually help and make things better?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff