Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just had a break in yesterday morning.
Guy stole a laptop that I had just recently bought for school and some other stuff.

Despite all the doors being locked, he managed to break in by kicking in the garage door. I was still at home when this all happened, but I was sleeping. There weren't any cars parked outside of our house, so he probably thought no one was there.
He went around the house stealing various other things, but then he got to my room. I'd like to mention that I lock my door every night before going to bed, so... He began ******** kicking my door in, which woke me up. As soon as he realized someone was still in the house, he made a run for it. I wasn't able to get a look at him unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm wondering how likely it is for a criminal to sell expensive electronics at a pawn shop. I spoke with the officers and they told me he might go to a pawn shop, but I doubt it. You need to present an ID before selling expensive electronics/goods at a pawn shop, right? But he's a criminal, so I doubt he'd pawn it off through legal means.

In any case, I've already resigned myself to the fact that I probably will never see that laptop again. Still, I'm wondering if we have a chance of even catching the guy. I wouldn't ever normally use the LI, but any information I can get is good. I'm looking around at other places as well.

This house is pretty old, so the doors broke in easily. My bedroom door is totally busted, too. We're hoping insurance will cover the damages, but I don't know.

I'm exhausted.
Yato Chan

Not sure in what part of the world you reside, but when things like that get taken in my neck of the woods people try and sell it on craigslist or facebook.
Avalar75

I'm not hurt, but I wish I chased the b*****d down.
Instead, I called the police immediately. Some good that did.

This guy even had the gall to use one of our own pillow cases to stash the goods in.
InvalidEntry401

I've been looking on Craigslist.
My laptop is password protected. I wonder if he'd still be able to get in.

Bunny

Criminals can either be smart or stupid. There is a chance he will pawn it, but who knows. He could keep it if he wants it. I used to live in a small town in California and there was only one pawn shop in the whole town. My cousin stole my mothers jewelry and pawned it there so of course we caught him. It wasn't the smartest considering you have to show them your ID. I would wait a week or so and then check around local pawn shops and ask them if anyone recently pawned your model of laptop. I doubt he'd go out and pawn it that quick, he probably wants to lay low for a while to avoid being caught.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
Yato Chan
Avalar75

I'm not hurt, but I wish I chased the b*****d down.
Instead, I called the police immediately. Some good that did.

This guy even had the gall to use one of our own pillow cases to stash the goods in.

Don't ever regret not chasing him down, because if he was desperate enough to kick through doors to steal, then who knows what he could have done to you. ******** loosing your stuff, because that can be replaced, YOU cannot be replaced. Just saying out of experience.

With that being said, I would check Craigslist.. He will probably try to sell it on there, or on the street. And, even though pawn shops "require" ID, they don't always take it, if the person is willing to get a bum's deal for the item(s) they stole. Again, speaking from experience. So, I would go check out the pawn shops as well.. But they probably would wipe all info off of the computer before trying to sell it. Make sure that you have your computer's receipt handy, with the item number on it, so that you can track it easier, since there is a chance of erasing.
Yato Chan
InvalidEntry401

I've been looking on Craigslist.
My laptop is password protected. I wonder if he'd still be able to get in.

More than likely not, but he would probably try and rip someone off, who doesn't have the smarts or patience to check it out before buying, know what I mean?

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
If the robbery was.to get money for drugs theres a good chance hell be desperate enough to offload the laptop at a pawn shop if he doesnt have any beteer buyer.

Your actions during the burglary were ideal. You gave the robber a chance to leave without fighting you. Its best not to force someone to resort to violence to get away.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff