Welcome to Gaia! ::

I started Nuvaring on October 2nd and I had my period on the week of September 16. I am wondering when it is safe to have sex without having to use any other birth control methods such as condom, spermicide, etc? [So to say if i want to have sex.] I tried to research specific questions online; alas, I could not find the specific answer that was close enough to my question.

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
Because you didnt put it in when you ahd your period, it is a bit harder to say for sure. I would put it at a week, to deal with overlap.
angel_259236102
Because you didnt put it in when you ahd your period, it is a bit harder to say for sure. I would put it at a week, to deal with overlap.
Overlap?

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
lunateck9
angel_259236102
Overlap?

Well, the chance that you ovulated already. Since looking it up they want you to take the first day of your period and if you started the first few days after that you have to wait a week to be fully protected, I can only assume that it is the same kind of principle.
angel_259236102
lunateck9
angel_259236102
Overlap?

Well, the chance that you ovulated already. Since looking it up they want you to take the first day of your period and if you started the first few days after that you have to wait a week to be fully protected, I can only assume that it is the same kind of principle.
Yea, I probably need to go to a doctor for more information then. Just to make sure.
You should put nuvaring in on the sunday during your period. You should wait at least a month to have sex for any birth control to set in. Even then you need other forms of protection. Nuvaring does not help prevent STDs and is not 100% when it comes to preventing pregnancy.
In general, you have to wait a month after you started taking your birth control before it gets safe. However, this was mostly for birth control pills, I think.
Hmmm, I am not sure about a month to wait. [I thought that was bc pills]. So I will ask the doctor about that.
Pikkewyn
In general, you have to wait a month after you started taking your birth control before it gets safe. However, this was mostly for birth control pills, I think.

Not really, all the ones I had so far (about ten different ones lol) were all fully safe ONE DAY after starting them.

But better safe than sorry. I'd always check with a doctor.

Playful Kitten

When you start a hormone birth control, you should wait at least 1 month before having unprotected sex.

Mine worked after 1 week, but I was taking a risk by not letting a complete cycle's time pass.

But really, there's more you need to worry about than just getting pregnant. Better safe than sorry, and condoms really aren't that bad.

Dapper Ladykiller

11,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Hygienic 200
The booklet says it's effective after two weeks, but my gyno said to wait two months.

Demonic Lover

☠See this is why I stick to the pill.☠

Angelic Inquisitor

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
you should wait 2 weeks for the nuva ring to work properly.

Familiar Flatterer

You should wait 2 weeks before you have unprotected sex with the nuvaring.
1 week with the combined oral contraceptive pill
2 weeks with the mini (progesterone only) pill

- Dr Dimari
Senior House Officer (Resident) in Genitourinary Medicine, Sexual Health and Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Doncaster Royal Infirmary, England
Did the NuvaRing come with a little information pamphlet? Most pill packs do that contain that sort of information. Usually within a few weeks it's safe, but if you want to be sure, wait until after your next period.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff