Welcome to Gaia! ::

My girlfriend slapped me so I punched her. This was the second time it happened, been together 4 years. We were arguing about how I slack around and don't pick up after myself. I was shocked when she hit me. She's schizophrenic, could that be linked to the issue? Are all schizophrenic people abusive? She gets so delusional sometimes and sees me as a threat. It's like she forgets who I am sometimes. What the hell do I do now? Its like all schizophrenics are abusive. If thats the case then I dont want to date one ever again.
I'm schizophrenic and I don't abuse people. Honestly, I don't know what to say. I mean, a guy shouldn't hit a girl and a girl shouldn't hit a guy.

Sounds like both of you are in the wrong here. You guys are hitting each other. That's not a healthy relationship.

Unbeatable Survivor

No. It depends on the person.

Only, I think it was, 5% of Schizophrenics are any danger to society.

So actually, healthy, sane people are a bigger threat.
PuddIy
I'm schizophrenic and I don't abuse people. Honestly, I don't know what to say. I mean, a guy shouldn't hit a girl and a girl shouldn't hit a guy.

Sounds like both of you are in the wrong here. You guys are hitting each other. That's not a healthy relationship.
What am I suppose to do then? Let her hit me? I don't think I was in any wrong here... she always hits me first, so I defend myself. Besides this issue, our relationship is great. I don't want to jump to the unhealthy conclusion and call it a night. I want to fix this.
violette lumineux
No. It depends on the person.

Only, I think it was, 5% of Schizophrenics are any danger to society.

So actually, healthy, sane people are a bigger threat.
Thanks, this put alot of ease to my mind.
People with mental illnesses, especially psychoses like schizophrenia, can be inadvertently abusive towards partners, friends and family. Yes, violence can happen. However, it's not an excuse. She should understand how serious this is and be doing all that she can to make sure this doesn't happen again- medication, therapy, anger management classes. You don't have to forgive her if you don't want to. (You shouldn't hit her back though. Does she "deserve" it? Maybe. But it's perpetuating the violence and you're probably a lot stronger than she is and a punch is a lot more brutal than a slap. Would it be possible to restrain her instead?) Anyway, all you can really do is decide you cannot deal with her issues and break up with her, or you could try to help her find treatment.
You punching her is more of an issue than her being schizo and slapping. Your reaction is not acceptable and you dont have an excuse of being ill.
All In The Wrong Places
PuddIy

What am I suppose to do then? Let her hit me? I don't think I was in any wrong here... she always hits me first, so I defend myself. Besides this issue, our relationship is great. I don't want to jump to the unhealthy conclusion and call it a night. I want to fix this.
Well if it was just a slap then you dont have to punch her dude, that's much more brutal than a slap

Restrain her or something. Help her find some treatment and therapy. Your punches are just adding more to this issue.
No, not all schizophrenics are abusive. No one group who all share just one common trait all act the same. To be honest this probably has less to do with her disease and more to do with her being a b***h.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff