Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just moved into a somewhat old apartment. When I close my windows within 10-15 minutes my head and emotions start to spin. There is this apartmenty smell. When I first moved in I kept the windows shut for a couple days straight and felt very irritated in the apartment -- skin, breathing, ability to focus, mood. Opening them, this went away. Is this anything anyone has experience with?

I'm thinking it could be:
- The gas stove
- The furnace
- The lack of vents
- Old building thing
- Me being hypersensitive to environments

I do have a good air filter, which helps.

I'm probably going to ask my landlord about it tomorrow. (He's really nice.) Maybe get natural gas checked.

Any input?

Thank you heart

Alien Hunter

2,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
If it's an old apartment, it could very well be toxic mold growing somewhere. It would also explain the "old" smell. Definitely get this checked out because my very old house used to have it growing (when I was very young, we've gotten it removed a long time ago though), it can be very dangerous! If you can maybe check behind wallpaper or investigate around the house for mold (especially black mold, that's the most toxic kind). Either way, definitely ask your landlord about it, that's not a very good environment for you to be living it, and a problem that needs to be fixed right away.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
While I would reccommend checking things out, part of the issue could also be a lack of air flow. I had a similar problem and when we put fans up in both the major rooms it didn't affect me so much.
Is this your first new place since moving out from your parents?

Do you have a history with these kinds of feelings?

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I take it you have some sort of mold allergy? Or perhaps dust? I experienced the same thing when we had mold in our basement a few years ago.

Another question: the "apartment smell". Does it smell like gasoline or some type of fuel?
SamxC
If it's an old apartment, it could very well be toxic mold growing somewhere. It would also explain the "old" smell. Definitely get this checked out because my very old house used to have it growing (when I was very young, we've gotten it removed a long time ago though), it can be very dangerous! If you can maybe check behind wallpaper or investigate around the house for mold (especially black mold, that's the most toxic kind). Either way, definitely ask your landlord about it, that's not a very good environment for you to be living it, and a problem that needs to be fixed right away.

Toxic mold was one of many reasons I sifted through when I googled. It's hard to know what causes to pursue so thanks for the suggestion. I bought some mold testing kits that should be able to test for air-borne mold.
AngelBiscuits
While I would reccommend checking things out, part of the issue could also be a lack of air flow. I had a similar problem and when we put fans up in both the major rooms it didn't affect me so much.

Idk if fans would help because there's really nowhere for the air to go. I do have an air filter which is sort of like a fan too.
Kannonm
Is this your first new place since moving out from your parents?

Do you have a history with these kinds of feelings?

It's not my first new place. Yes, I have a history with these kinds of feelings -- being hypersensitive in general and having allergies but the emotional unbalance is sort of new.
Mayor of Murderwood
I take it you have some sort of mold allergy? Or perhaps dust? I experienced the same thing when we had mold in our basement a few years ago.

Another question: the "apartment smell". Does it smell like gasoline or some type of fuel?

Yeah I have mold and dust allergies. Thanks for the input. I got some mold testing kits and I'm kind of hoping that's the problem.

Yeah I think it smells like the stove/fuel but all these older apartments smell that way.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Flucien
Mayor of Murderwood

Yeah I have mold and dust allergies. Thanks for the input. I got some mold testing kits and I'm kind of hoping that's the problem.

That's a good start. If you haven't already, I'd dust the apartment as well. If anything, it should help.

Quote:
Yeah I think it smells like the stove/fuel but all these older apartments smell that way.

That would be something I'd talk to the landlord about. If he sounds reasonable like you described, he may have a few answers or might be able to get whatever is going on fixed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff