Welcome to Gaia! ::

PhilthyGlitz's Waifu

Dapper Wife

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Signature Look 250
I think the scary part about being on them is the feeling you will never get off them. I have been on Lexapro and Seriquill for over a year. It worked for me, I needed them. Honestly, without that sort of help I would be dead by now.

Slowly, I am being weened off the Lexapro. Finally in my life I don't feel depressed and I never thought I would get to this state. It'a great. I'll always be on some sort of medication due to the fact I hallucinate but not feeling like crap really makes a difference.

I was unsure when I started too but remember, watch yourself. The first medicine you get on may not be right for you, talk to your doctor how you are feeling and seek therapy. Also two more things; it may take a few weeks for the meds to work and if they don't you may just need to try something else. Second, try to remove the depressing factors from your life, do things that make you smile. Medication can help but living in a good environment can also make the difference.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

^^

PhilthyGlitz's Waifu

Dapper Wife

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Signature Look 250
Ramona Razor
Doctor Toxic Mentality

Meds will do that. They often zombie you out, which is something I do not like about meds. They "ease your pain" by easing out your personality.

Well, I don't like it.
And that's saying something. Cause I love zombies.
I don't know. I'm going to try cutting it in half tonight and see if that's a little better, but my god, if I still feel like a zombie, these ******** pills are going down the drain.

Perhaps you guys were on the wrong medication, not every single anti-depression will "zombie" you out. For me, I felt fine, I felt like myself but ten times happier.

PhilthyGlitz's Waifu

Dapper Wife

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Signature Look 250
Demented Bubblegum
Which anti-depressant are you on?
And remember the good old days when people didn't have all these fancy medications to turn to when times got rough and actually did something worthwhile to control their depression surprised ?

User Image

Not everyone can handle it with good old fashion going outside and forcing a smile that doesn't want to be there. Sometimes people need that push in order to get back into a better state.

5,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
"I was on them for a little over a year, then I just stopped taking them (made my stomach upset constantly). My doctor put me on them for sleep problems though. I think he was just too lazy to send me to a psych. though and that's why he prescribed them. It was a hard time in my life and they helped me through it, but at the time I stopped taking them I really no longer needed them. I'm thinking about talking to my doctor about getting back on them though....time's gotten hard again. Really though side effects are going to vary by the type of drug and brand you are on. I was on try cyclic (sp?) antidepressants and they tend to make one drowsy."
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

Normal lifestyle stress doesn't fall in to any category that I've mentioned, as that's not what I'm arguing.

It is what im argue that your situational depression either falls under normal lifestyle, major depression, PTSD or adjustment disorder (which is not situational depression).

Doctor Toxic Mentality
There is a massive distinction between clinical depression and PTSD for one.

I know this and im not sure why you think I'm arguing for this.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Also, you're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying about situational depression. .

That under any version of the DSM it doesn't exist, only the disorders that Ive mentioned earlier do. Now what your talking about is adjustment disorder which is fine in its own right not situational depression. (You really are hanging on to this sinking boat tightly aren't you?)

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Read up on adjustment disorder (same thing, essentially, as situational depression/reactive depression).

And you change your mind and finally go for something under the DSM

Doctor Toxic Mentality
The fact that you seem so incapable of grasping this extremely basic concept shows that you shouldn't be comfortable with your level of research. You're throwing something out that is proven to exist because you feel you know everything.

I dont feel I know everything, but I do know situational depression isn't in the DSM, adjustment disorder is which you conveniantly changed to a paragraph ago.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Situational Depression (also called reactive depression. Also called adjustment disorder)

Adjustment disorder, why make up new names for something thats already part of the DSM.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
arises when a person has maladaptive coping skills at dealing with extreme stressors and thus falls in to a depression. Again, we all deal with stress each and every day. The vast majority of us deal with it normally and are not hindered by it. Some people, however, do not react to it well. The sudden loss of a loved one is one of the strongest examples. Many times, when a loved one suddenly dies, it has a strong emotional toll on a person. Sometimes those people grieve in a healthy manner and continue to live their lives. Sometimes those people are psychologically crippled by the grief and become unable to function. They become so paralyzed with the suddenness of loss that they can no longer move forward in their lives. They are unable to get out of bed and perform basic life tasks. This CAN develop in to clinical depression, but as it stands is NOT clinical depression. Situational Depression is something that the majority of people will experience at one time or another due to drastic life circumstances, and most of the time isn't that severe and can be dealt with through therapy or on it's own. Doesn't discount that people will experience this and should be watched out for just in case it develops in to something more. Sadness and situational depression are different

You outlined adjustment disorder very crappily then applied it as some sort of distinction between normal lifestyle stress and your situational depression. How professional of you.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Symptoms of situational depression:
- Generally lasts around 6 months, and often clears itself up as a person is able to process through the loss
- sleep difficulties
- anxiety
- change in appetite
- withdrawal
-helplessness
- psychosomatic illness

And you've given up and changed your mind to adjustment disorder, excellent.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
The symptom lists are similar, but that doesn't make the illness the same.

They are not similar and adjustment disorder which is the symptoms you did list is very different to major depression.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Clinical depression will come in cycles throughout the rest of the persons life, as the depression is brought on for no real reason. Much like bipolar mood swings are brought on for no real reason, though slight triggers may be behind it.

Seriously please think about what your writing, there is always a reason why major depression is brought on. Wether it is clear or not is superflous to this arguement.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
What completely baffles me is why you are arguing with me over something that is proven to exist...just because you personally do not believe it exists.

Reference the DSM you are wrong.

Why do you continue to argue over something that is proven to exist? Can you answer that one question?
That was two questions, and proven to exist yet not included as part of the DSM. Interesting concept. . . . (im laughing at this point)

Doctor Toxic Mentality
I have much to do with mental illness/health. Considering that I studied psychology in college for 4 years, worked in a psychiatric institution before my illness took over, and have spent the majority of the past 3 years in psychiatric institutions designed around the education of mental illness and how they work. Maybe you should attend a class or two on different kinds of depression and maladaptive responses to stress and anxiety.

You should look into CPD then.
Also you would recognise that the classes you suggested normally come under something as abnormal psychology or introductory psychology, which makes me suspicious of wether you have done them.
I can do nothing more then to urge you to read reputible sites, collaborative texts (DSM) and journal articles when trying to argue this again. That way you wont be confused between different diagnosis such as major depression, PTSD and adjustment disorder.

If you'd actually read the sources that I quoted you...repeatedly. Seriously? Situational Depression is an EASIER WAY TO SAY ADJUSTMENT DISORDER. They are, in essence, the same thing. My B for not using "Holier than though" wording for your amusement. Commonly, treatment professionals use the term "situational/reactive depression" when talking to grieving people because it makes easier sense than saying Adjustment Disorder and having to go through an entire lecture on describing what Adjustment Disorder is. Maybe YOU should read read reputible sites, collaborative texts (DSM) and journal articles when trying to argue this again. The fact that you have such a difficulty understanding common terms among the psychiatric field makes me suspicious of whether or not you have actually read up on much of anything.

Study more before going off on tangents about things you've blatantly not read up on. Or are you one of those people that feels the constant need to use massive words to impress yourself? Sorry, I use terms that people can understand and relate to rather than having to write a novel describing what I'm trying to say and ultimately having the person say, "Oh...situational depression," when I could just start off by saying situational depression. I find it incredibly hilarious that you're going on and on about your knowledge of this subject and butt humping the DSM but conveniently forgetting that the DSM isn't everything, it's just one piece to the puzzle. Try reading up on terms actually used in the field of psychiatry.

6,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
I'm on them right now.
They totally work.
Doctor Toxic Mentality

DXnobodyX

Mind if we don't fight, boys?
Really, just agree to disagree or something.
It's not that big of a deal to fight over.
Internet arguments are serious, you guys.

On topic:

I've been on them for maybe 5 years now? I haven't had much luck finding the right combo. Anyways, what I wish I knew at the beginning was that that meds aren't some magical cure that will make you fart sunshine by tomorrow... In most cases it's up to people to do more then just take them. It may be basic, but it took that message a while to sink in for me.

Shapeshifter

OP: I started off on Lexapro...didn't do a thing. So I tried Zoloft, and it helped a bit but not much. So my psychiatrist prescribed Wellbutrin too, and the Zoloft with Wellbutrin helped ok. Then I switched to Cymbalta and Wellbutrin and that helped great!
It's all about trying things...don't expect to feel better right away, and don't expect to hit the jackpot with the first kind of pill you try. Just be patient and stay active with your doctor, let them know how you're feeling and they may switch the meds if needed. But I can say that once you find the right mix it's definitely worth it!
Ramona Razor
Doctor Toxic Mentality

DXnobodyX

Mind if we don't fight, boys?
Really, just agree to disagree or something.
It's not that big of a deal to fight over.

We're not fighting ??? :S
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

Normal lifestyle stress doesn't fall in to any category that I've mentioned, as that's not what I'm arguing.

It is what im argue that your situational depression either falls under normal lifestyle, major depression, PTSD or adjustment disorder (which is not situational depression).

Doctor Toxic Mentality
There is a massive distinction between clinical depression and PTSD for one.

I know this and im not sure why you think I'm arguing for this.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Also, you're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying about situational depression. .

That under any version of the DSM it doesn't exist, only the disorders that Ive mentioned earlier do. Now what your talking about is adjustment disorder which is fine in its own right not situational depression. (You really are hanging on to this sinking boat tightly aren't you?)

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Read up on adjustment disorder (same thing, essentially, as situational depression/reactive depression).

And you change your mind and finally go for something under the DSM

Doctor Toxic Mentality
The fact that you seem so incapable of grasping this extremely basic concept shows that you shouldn't be comfortable with your level of research. You're throwing something out that is proven to exist because you feel you know everything.

I dont feel I know everything, but I do know situational depression isn't in the DSM, adjustment disorder is which you conveniantly changed to a paragraph ago.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Situational Depression (also called reactive depression. Also called adjustment disorder)

Adjustment disorder, why make up new names for something thats already part of the DSM.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
arises when a person has maladaptive coping skills at dealing with extreme stressors and thus falls in to a depression. Again, we all deal with stress each and every day. The vast majority of us deal with it normally and are not hindered by it. Some people, however, do not react to it well. The sudden loss of a loved one is one of the strongest examples. Many times, when a loved one suddenly dies, it has a strong emotional toll on a person. Sometimes those people grieve in a healthy manner and continue to live their lives. Sometimes those people are psychologically crippled by the grief and become unable to function. They become so paralyzed with the suddenness of loss that they can no longer move forward in their lives. They are unable to get out of bed and perform basic life tasks. This CAN develop in to clinical depression, but as it stands is NOT clinical depression. Situational Depression is something that the majority of people will experience at one time or another due to drastic life circumstances, and most of the time isn't that severe and can be dealt with through therapy or on it's own. Doesn't discount that people will experience this and should be watched out for just in case it develops in to something more. Sadness and situational depression are different

You outlined adjustment disorder very crappily then applied it as some sort of distinction between normal lifestyle stress and your situational depression. How professional of you.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Symptoms of situational depression:
- Generally lasts around 6 months, and often clears itself up as a person is able to process through the loss
- sleep difficulties
- anxiety
- change in appetite
- withdrawal
-helplessness
- psychosomatic illness

And you've given up and changed your mind to adjustment disorder, excellent.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
The symptom lists are similar, but that doesn't make the illness the same.

They are not similar and adjustment disorder which is the symptoms you did list is very different to major depression.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
Clinical depression will come in cycles throughout the rest of the persons life, as the depression is brought on for no real reason. Much like bipolar mood swings are brought on for no real reason, though slight triggers may be behind it.

Seriously please think about what your writing, there is always a reason why major depression is brought on. Wether it is clear or not is superflous to this arguement.

Doctor Toxic Mentality
What completely baffles me is why you are arguing with me over something that is proven to exist...just because you personally do not believe it exists.

Reference the DSM you are wrong.

Why do you continue to argue over something that is proven to exist? Can you answer that one question?
That was two questions, and proven to exist yet not included as part of the DSM. Interesting concept. . . . (im laughing at this point)

Doctor Toxic Mentality
I have much to do with mental illness/health. Considering that I studied psychology in college for 4 years, worked in a psychiatric institution before my illness took over, and have spent the majority of the past 3 years in psychiatric institutions designed around the education of mental illness and how they work. Maybe you should attend a class or two on different kinds of depression and maladaptive responses to stress and anxiety.

You should look into CPD then.
Also you would recognise that the classes you suggested normally come under something as abnormal psychology or introductory psychology, which makes me suspicious of wether you have done them.
I can do nothing more then to urge you to read reputible sites, collaborative texts (DSM) and journal articles when trying to argue this again. That way you wont be confused between different diagnosis such as major depression, PTSD and adjustment disorder.

If you'd actually read the sources that I quoted you...repeatedly. Seriously? Situational Depression is an EASIER WAY TO SAY ADJUSTMENT DISORDER. They are, in essence, the same thing. My B for not using "Holier than though" wording for your amusement. Commonly, treatment professionals use the term "situational/reactive depression" when talking to grieving people because it makes easier sense than saying Adjustment Disorder and having to go through an entire lecture on describing what Adjustment Disorder is. Maybe YOU should read read reputible sites, collaborative texts (DSM) and journal articles when trying to argue this again. The fact that you have such a difficulty understanding common terms among the psychiatric field makes me suspicious of whether or not you have actually read up on much of anything.

Study more before going off on tangents about things you've blatantly not read up on. Or are you one of those people that feels the constant need to use massive words to impress yourself? Sorry, I use terms that people can understand and relate to rather than having to write a novel describing what I'm trying to say and ultimately having the person say, "Oh...situational depression," when I could just start off by saying situational depression. I find it incredibly hilarious that you're going on and on about your knowledge of this subject and butt humping the DSM but conveniently forgetting that the DSM isn't everything, it's just one piece to the puzzle. Try reading up on terms actually used in the field of psychiatry.

You mean psychology? or are you using it interchangably like your diagnosis. Can't say I agree with your pop psych.

The end

(cause we got told off D smile

Fashionable Capitalist

Ramona Razor
eenie meenie teenie
Okay i was wrongly diagnosed with anxiety and i was soo stupid to purchase the pills which were like anti depressants . Okay here's the worst . As soon as you take them , they make you awfully tired and all you want to do is sleep . I also experienced hallucinations . Like once i was looking in the mirror and all if a sudden i appeared really fat and almost had a heart attack . Anyway i'm glad they have gone in the bin .

Yeah, that happened too. Right off the bat. Though my mother is on the same kind, and she says that happens to her too.

My advice to you is do not take it !
It works for some and doesnt for others .
You don't want artifical happiness . You need to learn to fight it yourself . Depressions is really common . Especially in England . You'll l be fine .
Yes, they usually work. You may experience some emotional numbness, if you do I would ask your doctor about getting on a different one. They certainly made me more huggy and emotional (for the first two weeks at least). I wouldn't quit them immediately, you have to be weaned off of them due to the dramatic drop in hormones that could happen if you did that. They make things seem better, i also recommend getting 15 minutes of sunlight (going on a walk, laying out, etc).
Yet ANOTHER Update
All this is Day 2 of being on the meds, and last night (with permission of my doctor as I stated before), I took only half a dosage.
I don't feel quite as horrible as I did yesterday, not as zombiefied. Still kind of lagging in the energy department, but feeling all right. So yeah.

Anxious Pumpkin

9,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Jack-pot 100
I am on medication and have been for about 2 years. If I remember right the first few days....I felt really dull and kinda out of it (I was even when i wasn't taking medication). Really what you might be experiencing is your thinking about it to much and creating that zombie feeling from your mind. Because as some people said that it takes awhile for the medication to be in effect with your body.

My therapist (who told me to be on medication) said that some people might feel great and happy and everything all better because they believe that the taking it for the first day is going to make everything better...which it doesn't

My advice is continue taking the medication and if you feel horrible or something serious happens contact your doctor.

Also....take it everyday till you can stop...when I don't take mine I get really bad withdraw (with for me is a horrible headache)

Sorry if that seems kinda confusing...I sometimes have a hard time getting my point across...

EDIT: And the kind I'm on works for me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces