Welcome to Gaia! ::

DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
Do you know the reason for your depression? Is it biochemical, or is it situational? Because that will also play in to how well meds work for you.

lol what?

Depression is never one or the other, it is always both to different degrees.

No, I'm talking about the difference between something like clinical depression (or bipolar depression if OP has undiagnosed bipolar) vs situational depression such as over stressed life, massive change in life, grief, etc.

One can be fixed through therapy. The other is much different.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
"Results will vary."

Brain chemistry is a complex thing. The mental state you, yourself are self-aware of is the driving force in helping your psychiatrist understand what you need. The more understanding the doctor is about your condition, the more accurate the prescription is likely to be. The more self awareness you have of your condition as a condition, the better you and your doctor will be able to help each other to help you.

Also, in the case that what was prescribed isn't quite for you, this self-awareness will keep you from overreacting to bad emotions.

Lastly, brain chemistry for the laymen.
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
Do you know the reason for your depression? Is it biochemical, or is it situational? Because that will also play in to how well meds work for you.

lol what?

No, I'm talking about the difference between something like clinical depression (or bipolar depression if OP has undiagnosed bipolar) vs situational depression such as over stressed life, massive change in life, grief, etc.

There is no such thing as situational depression, clinical depression can be unipolar or bipolar (mood swings). Both of these require both therapy and most often some form of medication, the medication makes accessing the skills and techniques developed by therapy possible. What you are calling situation depression is probably just increased stress in life which everyone faces. If a person can't use stress alleviating or avoiding techniques and it tips them into clinical depression then you can call it depression (which impacts biology as well). Depression can also be a symptom of other illness unrelated to lifestyle, and thus is treated as a symptom not the root cause.
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

lol what?

There is no such thing as situational depression, clinical depression can be unipolar or bipolar (mood swings). Both of these require both therapy and most often some form of medication, the medication makes accessing the skills and techniques developed by therapy possible. What you are calling situation depression is probably just increased stress in life which everyone faces. If a person can't use stress alleviating or avoiding techniques and it tips them into clinical depression then you can call it depression (which impacts biology as well). Depression can also be a symptom of other illness unrelated to lifestyle, and thus is treated as a symptom not the root cause.
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

lol what?

Actually, there is situational depression.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/coping-with-situational-depression.aspx

Situational depression happens when the stress is so great in someone's life, for whatever reason, that they become depressed due to the stress. It does not fall under the realm of clinical depression, as clinical depression has to last for a certain amount of time. Situational depression can be traced directly back to a certain incident, such as the loss of a loved one. Where as clinical depression is an ongoing depression caused by the imbalance of chemicals in the brain. Situational depression can be treated with therapy alone to help a person process and cope with the situation that caused the depression; their depression will ultimately go away. Clinical depression needs to be treated with medication and therapy to teach a person how to cope with the depression as it arises; their depression will come back again and again throughout their lives.

Situational depression CAN lead to clinical depression, but doesn't necessarily mean it will.

Situational depression can be just as severe as clinical depression, but does not last as long as clinical depression, nor does it happen for the same reasons.

http://www.articlesbase.com/stress-management-articles/three-kinds-of-depression-42302.html

http://psychiatristscottsdale.com/types-of-depression/
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

lol what?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/coping-with-situational-depression.aspx

Situational depression happens when the stress is so great in someone's life, for whatever reason, that they become depressed due to the stress. It does not fall under the realm of clinical depression, as clinical depression has to last for a certain amount of time. Situational depression can be traced directly back to a certain incident, such as the loss of a loved one. Where as clinical depression is an ongoing depression caused by the imbalance of chemicals in the brain. Situational depression can be treated with therapy alone to help a person process and cope with the situation that caused the depression; their depression will ultimately go away. Clinical depression needs to be treated with medication and therapy to teach a person how to cope with the depression as it arises; their depression will come back again and again throughout their lives.

Situational depression CAN lead to clinical depression, but doesn't necessarily mean it will.

Situational depression can be just as severe as clinical depression, but does not last as long as clinical depression, nor does it happen for the same reasons.

http://www.articlesbase.com/stress-management-articles/three-kinds-of-depression-42302.html

Don't worry about sources I'll decide if what you say has merit, which is lucky considering the sources you did use. Not only did you reinforce what I said about situation depression, you displayed your lack of knowledge in clinical depression.

To address clinical depression as only a chemical imbalance, chronic and long term is foolish in that all cases are different. You are repeating what I said about the treatment of clinical depression which is obvious. A persons lifestyle can trip over the biology or the biology can trip over the lifestyle thus the multifaceted treatment.

Whats the difference between situational depression and me being sad? Do I need therapy if my cat dies? Just because some professionals bend over backwards to accommodate ppls need to be classified doesn't make it true. Stress is a normal part of any lifestyle its when this stress has a negative impact on a persons life that it becomes problematic. So what your self diagnosis as situation depression is actually no deviation from a normal healthy lifestyle (learning curves are not illness).

I'm sorry but you really do need to understand what your reading, rather then just spurt it out whenever it is challenged. For example from one of your sources
"The key to differentiating situation depression from its clinical counterpart is the temporary nature of the symptomology"
What do you think this means? Now you have done that lets read this from the same source
"One should note that traumatic events can also herald the onset of clinical depression, however."
Are you getting the feeling there is a special place made for those who want to be depressed but are only being blue?
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

lol what?

Don't worry about sources I'll decide if what you say has merit, which is lucky considering the sources you did use. Not only did you reinforce what I said about situation depression, you displayed your lack of knowledge in clinical depression.

To address clinical depression as only a chemical imbalance, chronic and long term is foolish in that all cases are different. You are repeating what I said about the treatment of clinical depression which is obvious. A persons lifestyle can trip over the biology or the biology can trip over the lifestyle thus the multifaceted treatment.

Whats the difference between situational depression and me being sad? Do I need therapy if my cat dies? Just because some professionals bend over backwards to accommodate ppls need to be classified doesn't make it true. Stress is a normal part of any lifestyle its when this stress has a negative impact on a persons life that it becomes problematic. So what your self diagnosis as situation depression is actually no deviation from a normal healthy lifestyle (learning curves are not illness).

I'm sorry but you really do need to understand what your reading, rather then just spurt it out whenever it is challenged. For example from one of your sources
"The key to differentiating situation depression from its clinical counterpart is the temporary nature of the symptomology"
What do you think this means? Now you have done that lets read this from the same source
"One should note that traumatic events can also herald the onset of clinical depression, however."
Are you getting the feeling there is a special place made for those who want to be depressed but are only being blue?

*facepalms*

You do not seem to understand the different kinds of depression. No, I'm not talking about someone being *sad* being situational depression. There are MANY kinds of depression. Clinical depression is much more long term and has more severe symptomology.

Situational depression can arise from the death of a loved one (such as a parent/child/spouse) which causes severe and debilitating depression from the grief. While temporary, it is still severe and needs to be treated.

You seem to completely misunderstand that there are a variety of different kinds of depression that stem out from clinical depression, unipolar or bipolar. Why do you feel the need to lump all depression in to one area when it doesn't work that way?

The parts that you quoted refer to: Situational Depression is temporary and caused by a singular event. If left untreated, it can lead to clinical depression. Just because one leads to the other doesn't mean that they are the same thing.

Kind of like how if you don't treat bronchitis, it can turn in to a pneumonia. Is a pneumonia bronchitis? No.

I honestly believe that you need to do more research on depression. Situational Depression is often referred to as Adjustment Disorder, though more people refer to it as situational depression since it is not classified as a true mental disorder. There are many, many, many different ways to experience and develop depression, and trying to lump them all in to one tiny thing as you're trying to do is just completely untrue.

http://www.depression-help-resource.com/types-of-depression.htm

fyi: You're not going to convince me that I'm wrong. I've been through about 400 lectures throughout my treatment days that had to do with this very subject. Taught by people who know what they're talking about. Beaten in to my head as a "mental illness education"
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

*facepalms*

You do not seem to understand the different kinds of depression. No, I'm not talking about someone being *sad* being situational depression. There are MANY kinds of depression. Clinical depression is much more long term and has more severe symptomology.

Situational depression can arise from the death of a loved one (such as a parent/child/spouse) which causes severe and debilitating depression from the grief. While temporary, it is still severe and needs to be treated.

You seem to completely misunderstand that there are a variety of different kinds of depression that stem out from clinical depression, unipolar or bipolar. Why do you feel the need to lump all depression in to one area when it doesn't work that way?

The parts that you quoted refer to: Situational Depression is temporary and caused by a singular event. If left untreated, it can lead to clinical depression. Just because one leads to the other doesn't mean that they are the same thing.

Kind of like how if you don't treat bronchitis, it can turn in to a pneumonia. Is a pneumonia bronchitis? No.

I honestly believe that you need to do more research on depression. Situational Depression is often referred to as Adjustment Disorder, though more people refer to it as situational depression since it is not classified as a true mental disorder. There are many, many, many different ways to experience and develop depression, and trying to lump them all in to one tiny thing as you're trying to do is just completely untrue.

I wasn't lumping your situational depression under clinical, I was lumping it under general lifestyle sadness caused by everyday stress which includes death. If this sort of stress is as debilitating as you say I think your looking for PTSD if your in that great need to diagnose, which is an anxiety disorder (which conveniently can be addressed alone using therapy sometimes).

Because someones sister died doesn't make them depressed, it makes them sad and they will grieve, death being a part of life means this grieving processes is a learning curve not a mental disorder. I would hope I wouldn't get stuck in therapy if my sister died, if my sister was horribly mutilated in front of me and I go catatonic I would hope I get someone with more experience then you to diagnose me with PTSD.

Are you getting the feeling that situation depression is useless yet.
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

*facepalms*

I wasn't lumping your situational depression under clinical, I was lumping it under general lifestyle sadness caused by everyday stress which includes death. If this sort of stress is as debilitating as you say I think your looking for PTSD if your in that great need to diagnose, which is an anxiety disorder (which conveniently can be addressed alone using therapy sometimes).

Because someones sister died doesn't make them depressed, it makes them sad and they will grieve, death being a part of life means this grieving processes is a learning curve not a mental disorder. I would hope I wouldn't get stuck in therapy if my sister died, if my sister was horribly mutilated in front of me and I go catatonic I would hope I get someone with more experience then you to diagnose me with PTSD.

No, I'm not. Because either you don't understand the difference between sadness and depression, or you are belittling the emotional hurt caused by loss. It is not PTSD, as the symptoms don't match up at all. If you watched someone die, then yes, PTSD would come about. If you had someone ripped from your life, you have situational depression. Loss of a loved one is crippling, though temporary. Grief isn't, "Aw damn she died. That kinda blows." It is debilitating if you were very close to that person. It causes a person to not be able to function due to the crippling grief they experience. This can be treated with therapy alone. From reading your post, you don't even understand how PTSD works.

Just because you personally do not see certain life circumstances as being completely debilitating, doesn't mean that it does not happen. It is not PTSD when someone is debilitated by grief. It is depression...linked to a specific situation...that is temporary. I would highly suggest doing more research before arguing something this stupid. You are belittling the overwhelming experiences of others.

I don't have situational depression and this has absolutely nothing to do with my personal mental state. However, I do have an education and have seen situational depression first hand.
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality

*facepalms*

No, I'm not. Because either you don't understand the difference between sadness and depression, or you are belittling the emotional hurt caused by loss. It is not PTSD, as the symptoms don't match up at all. If you watched someone die, then yes, PTSD would come about. If you had someone ripped from your life, you have situational depression. Loss of a loved one is crippling, though temporary. Grief isn't, "Aw damn she died. That kinda blows." It is debilitating if you were very close to that person. It causes a person to not be able to function due to the crippling grief they experience. This can be treated with therapy alone. From reading your post, you don't even understand how PTSD works.

Just because you personally do not see certain life circumstances as being completely debilitating, doesn't mean that it does not happen. It is not PTSD when someone is debilitated by grief. It is depression...linked to a specific situation...that is temporary. I would highly suggest doing more research before arguing something this stupid. You are belittling the overwhelming experiences of others.

I don't have situational depression and this has absolutely nothing to do with my personal mental state. However, I do have an education and have seen situational depression first hand.

I'm quite comfortable with the amount of research I have done. But seeing as your using this
Doctor Toxic Mentality
It is debilitating if you were very close to that person. It causes a person to not be able to function due to the crippling grief they experience.

As some sort of criteria to diagnose and not provide any testable distinction between normal lifestyle stress, clinical depression and PTSD then I can not continue this conversation.

But I can comment that your underestimating human resilience to grief. But considering you haven't even suggested anything alone the lines of a normal/abnormal grieving pattern or anything to do with grieving patterns, but stick to your silly notion of "crippling". I suspect you don't have much to do with mental illness/health outside of subjective analysis.
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX
Doctor Toxic Mentality
DXnobodyX

*facepalms*

I'm quite comfortable with the amount of research I have done. But seeing as your using this
Doctor Toxic Mentality
It is debilitating if you were very close to that person. It causes a person to not be able to function due to the crippling grief they experience.

As some sort of criteria to diagnose and not provide any testable distinction between normal lifestyle stress, clinical depression and PTSD then I can not continue this conversation.

But I can comment that your underestimating human resilience to grief. But considering you haven't even suggested anything alone the lines of a normal/abnormal grieving pattern or anything to do with grieving patterns, but stick to your silly notion of "crippling". I suspect you don't have much to do with mental illness/health outside of subjective analysis.

Normal lifestyle stress doesn't fall in to any category that I've mentioned, as that's not what I'm arguing. Everyone experiences stressors on a daily basis that do not hinder their ability to function in the real world. Many people lose loved ones and continue to function normally. Those are not the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about people that develop a depression due to the loss of a loved one. Just as in PTSD, it doesn't happen to everyone that experiences a trauma. By crippling I mean people who, due to the extreme stressor, cannot get out of bed or continue life as a functional human being. I provided you sources with symptoms because I didn't feel the need to retype everything.

There is a massive distinction between clinical depression and PTSD for one. Do I REALLY need to spell that one out for you? Also, you're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying about situational depression. You're putting this in to an "all or nothing" category. Read up on adjustment disorder (same thing, essentially, as situational depression/reactive depression). The fact that you seem so incapable of grasping this extremely basic concept shows that you shouldn't be comfortable with your level of research. You're throwing something out that is proven to exist because you feel you know everything. Situational Depression (also called reactive depression. Also called adjustment disorder) arises when a person has maladaptive coping skills at dealing with extreme stressors and thus falls in to a depression. Again, we all deal with stress each and every day. The vast majority of us deal with it normally and are not hindered by it. Some people, however, do not react to it well. The sudden loss of a loved one is one of the strongest examples. Many times, when a loved one suddenly dies, it has a strong emotional toll on a person. Sometimes those people grieve in a healthy manner and continue to live their lives. Sometimes those people are psychologically crippled by the grief and become unable to function. They become so paralyzed with the suddenness of loss that they can no longer move forward in their lives. They are unable to get out of bed and perform basic life tasks. This CAN develop in to clinical depression, but as it stands is NOT clinical depression. Situational Depression is something that the majority of people will experience at one time or another due to drastic life circumstances, and most of the time isn't that severe and can be dealt with through therapy or on it's own. Doesn't discount that people will experience this and should be watched out for just in case it develops in to something more. Sadness and situational depression are different

Symptoms of situational depression:
- Generally lasts around 6 months, and often clears itself up as a person is able to process through the loss
- sleep difficulties
- anxiety
- change in appetite
- withdrawal
-helplessness
- psychosomatic illness

Symptoms of clinical depression:
-difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
-fatigue and decreased energy
-feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
-feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
-insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
-irritability, restlessness
-loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
-overeating or appetite loss
-persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with ---treatment
-persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
-thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts

The symptom lists are similar, but that doesn't make the illness the same. Clinical depression will come in cycles throughout the rest of the persons life, as the depression is brought on for no real reason. Much like bipolar mood swings are brought on for no real reason, though slight triggers may be behind it.

What completely baffles me is why you are arguing with me over something that is proven to exist...just because you personally do not believe it exists. I could sit here and believe that schizophrenia is fake...and guess what...it'd still exist. Why do you continue to argue over something that is proven to exist? Can you answer that one question?

I have much to do with mental illness/health. Considering that I studied psychology in college for 4 years, worked in a psychiatric institution before my illness took over, and have spent the majority of the past 3 years in psychiatric institutions designed around the education of mental illness and how they work. Maybe you should attend a class or two on different kinds of depression and maladaptive responses to stress and anxiety.
Demented Bubblegum
Which anti-depressant are you on?
And remember the good old days when people didn't have all these fancy medications to turn to when times got rough and actually did something worthwhile to control their depression surprised ?

User Image

Yeah, seriously. sweatdrop
It's an off brand generic called sertraline. Not quite sure what it's an off brand of though.
Demented Bubblegum
Ramona Razor
Demented Bubblegum
Which anti-depressant are you on?
And remember the good old days when people didn't have all these fancy medications to turn to when times got rough and actually did something worthwhile to control their depression surprised ?

User Image

Yeah, seriously. sweatdrop
It's an off brand generic called sertraline. Not quite sure what it's an off brand of though.

Meds didn't work for me but what worked is exercising, eating right and controlling feelings. I'm still working hard on control my feelings but it's working biggrin , I know it's working because I got faced into situations this past week where I'd usually blow someone's brains off and I didn't and calmly walked away.
Even if you're taking meds you should still put more effort in yourself to change, meds can't do everything for you.
Good luck biggrin .

User Image

Yeah. I'm trying to do other things on top of meds.
And thanks, I'm going to need it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces