Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just got prescribed anti-depressants today, and I am so iffy about taking them.
I mean, I know I need them, I know they're good for me cause I've been such a mess lately, up and down in my mood, but still, some other opinions would be appreciated, specifically people on them.
Have they worked for you? Do they do good things?
Were on and now off them? How hard was it to get off them?
Did they change your mood drastically?

Oh, and for the record, I do realize that possibly no one on this site are doctors, so I'm not taking it as medical advice. I just want others' experiences.

Xyronix's Bae

Anxious Nerd

I'm on them currently, and they have worked for me just fine.
The first couple of days I got a little drowsy, part of the side effects. But I'm the type of person that luckily, doesn't get affected by side effects usually, no matter what kind of meds I take.

In my case, I didn't notice the change, how it had affected me until my next visit to my psych, which was about a month or so after I started taking them. Yes, sometimes I get bouts of depression and cry, but it's rare now. Definitely not as much as before.
It highly depends on the individual. Yes, they generally do good things if they work. They also often come with side-effects. The side-effects rarely interfere that much with your day-to-day activities, and they decrease in severity over time.

For the first few weeks, you are unlikely to...feel much change. Your body takes time to get used to it. If after 2 months, you still feel no change, you'll want to to tell your psychiatrist and he/she might increase the dosage. No, anti-depressants don't change anything "drastically."

They will help you, but you need to be patient. It won't be a SUDDEN snap. More like a gradual change that you might not even notice. Depending on how depressed you are, you will feel good. You should see a therapist while you are on them. Anti-depressants aren't a permanent fix, therapy is a very important component.

Do not buy into all the crazies out there who say things like "anti depressants don't work, don't take them!" These people are wrong. Sure, maybe whatever you got prescribed might not work for you. Guess what? That's why there are many different medications out there. Your psychiatrist won't give up on you, you'll be prescribed something else. Don't give up, and keep your spirits high.

8,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
Ramona Razor
I just got prescribed anti-depressants today, and I am so iffy about taking them.
I mean, I know I need them, I know they're good for me cause I've been such a mess lately, up and down in my mood, but still, some other opinions would be appreciated, specifically people on them.
Have they worked for you? Do they do good things?
Were on and now off them? How hard was it to get off them?
Did they change your mood drastically?

Oh, and for the record, I do realize that possibly no one on this site are doctors, so I'm not taking it as medical advice. I just want others' experiences.

gramps
well I know they work cause I take them...there is a peroid that you may have to get used to them, possible get the amount right or even which one you take...different drugs work on other people differently...try a low dose and go from there...your leg will not fall off, or you will not get crazy....try it, see how you feel, and please let me know k?
@Jar
First of all, hey there! Long time, no talk! lol
Second of all, yeah, I'm kind of the same way when it comes to like side effects. It normally doesn't effect me too much.
Less depressions is definitely what I'm after. I guess I'm just being a worry wart about this. Really don't want to go crazy on people while on it.

Familiar Citizen

Well, I just started mine a week ago myself. I was hesitant to take them, but from everything I've been talking with my doctor and my therapist about... it makes sense for me. For the first few days I was sick as a dog. I could hardly get out of bed I was so dizzy and nauseous. But that's been slowly decreasing as my body gets used to them. I'm usually really resistant to medication and side-effects so that threw me off completely.

For me, change was nearly immediate, though that has a lot more to do with other factors than taking the pills. I've just gotten into a new therapist who I feel I can trust, I just got a new doctor who I also feel I can trust and I'm starting new treatment for my back injury. So for me, the start of the pills is also the start of hope for change which I haven't felt in years.

Realistically, one shouldn't expect instant results, it takes time for your body to adjust and start processing things properly. This can be a few weeks to a couple months (though if it is anything more than a couple months with no change you should talk to your doctor about it). Though, some people do experience placebo affects which makes things better right off the start.

Just remember this is a long-term medication, it's not a short-term instant fix. Also, if you are not already attending, I would suggest to also go into therapy as well as taking the pills. Therapy will be a more permanent change and long-term solution.

Don't forget that there are many brands and formulas for anti-depressants and if this one doesn't work for you doesn't mean none will work for you. I knew a person who started a new pill and nearly cut her finger off in a fit, so she called her doctor immediately who told her the proper method of stopping the pill and they worked together to find one that ended up helping her. But it is imperative that if you experience any worsening in your depression or suicidal thoughts to get in contact with your doctor immediately.
Because Maybe
It highly depends on the individual. Yes, they generally do good things if they work. They also often come with side-effects. The side-effects rarely interfere that much with your day-to-day activities, and they decrease in severity over time.

For the first few weeks, you are unlikely to...feel much change. Your body takes time to get used to it. If after 2 months, you still feel no change, you'll want to to tell your psychiatrist and he/she might increase the dosage. No, anti-depressants don't change anything "drastically."

They will help you, but you need to be patient. It won't be a SUDDEN snap. More like a gradual change that you might not even notice. Depending on how depressed you are, you will feel good. You should see a therapist while you are on them. Anti-depressants aren't a permanent fix, therapy is a very important component.

Do not buy into all the crazies out there who say things like "anti depressants don't work, don't take them!" These people are wrong. Sure, maybe whatever you got prescribed might not work for you. Guess what? That's why there are many different medications out there. Your psychiatrist won't give up on you, you'll be prescribed something else. Don't give up, and keep your spirits high.

Probably should have mentioned that in the first post. I am seeing a therapist, have been for all of the summer, so like...3 to 4 months maybe?
She in fact was the one that suggested it.
Sorry about that. sweatdrop
Ramona Razor
Because Maybe

Probably should have mentioned that in the first post. I am seeing a therapist, have been for all of the summer, so like...3 to 4 months maybe?

Well, you can easily adapt my sentence then. I urge you to...continue seeing your therapist!

It's basic, but you'd be surprised how many people simply get prescribed meds without therapy and think it's going to make them all better.
Because Maybe
Ramona Razor
Because Maybe

Well, you can easily adapt my sentence then. I urge you to...continue seeing your therapist!

It's basic, but you'd be surprised how many people simply get prescribed meds without therapy and think it's going to make them all better.

Oh yeah. It's definitely helped out a ton, but yeah.
I just don't want to be dependant on these pills making me happy for the rest of my life. I'd like to be fine on my own without constant fricken medication eventually. Besides, I'm way too young to be taking this many pills. It just seems wrong.
Ramona Razor
Because Maybe
Ramona Razor
Because Maybe

I just don't want to be dependant on these pills making me happy for the rest of my life. I'd like to be fine on my own without constant fricken medication eventually. Besides, I'm way too young to be taking this many pills. It just seems wrong.

I...seriously doubt you'll be taking these pills the rest of your life! Don't worry about that.

No, you know what seems wrong? A young girl your age not being able to fully enjoy her life! Aside from a few pesky side-effects, these meds aren't bad for you. They are used by tens of thousands of people on a daily basis, you're not alone and you have nothing to feel bad about.
Because Maybe
Ramona Razor
Because Maybe
Ramona Razor
Because Maybe

I...seriously doubt you'll be taking these pills the rest of your life! Don't worry about that.

No, you know what seems wrong? A young girl your age not being able to fully enjoy her life! Aside from a few pesky side-effects, these meds aren't bad for you. They are used by tens of thousands of people on a daily basis, you're not alone and you have nothing to feel bad about.

True, very true.
Thank you. I guess I just needed a little sense knocked into me. sweatdrop
My first question is, how old are you? Age plays a lot in to how effective these pills can be and what sorts of side effects you need to watch out for.

I've taken all sorts of medications from anti depressants, to benzo's, to antipsychotics, to mood stabilizers. For me, none worked. Partially because I was actively using, and partially because I don't have a biochemical disorder.

Do you know the reason for your depression? Is it biochemical, or is it situational? Because that will also play in to how well meds work for you.

I also hope that you will being a therapist while you take these meds if you choose to take them. Meds to not fix a problem, they merely temporarily ease the pain.
Doctor Toxic Mentality
Do you know the reason for your depression? Is it biochemical, or is it situational? Because that will also play in to how well meds work for you.

lol what?

Depression is never one or the other, it is always both to different degrees.
do NOT quit them without consulting your psychiatrist first

most people will say "oh, i wouldn't do that"
but i and many other people i know have done that
and it just leads to a whole pile of crap

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items