Welcome to Gaia! ::

First of all, this is going to be a long post, and I doubt I can summarize it. So please, if you are going to reply, read the whole thing.

I've been struggling with the question in the topic for years now. I've had issues with suicidal thoughts and self-esteem since middle school and anxiety since elementary school. Basically, my emotions get the better me and I cry...sometimes rather loudly. Things got worse as I started my junior year of high school since I intensely worried about the AP courses I was taking. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to school, and I feel that grades are a reflection of my intelligence. To me, my intelligence and my character are all I have to really offer to the world. So if something occurs that rattles my faith in those aspects of myself, I feel worthless. Furthermore, I began to wonder if I would be able to be truly successful in this world, with my definition of success being having a career I truly love and being independent. With the way I stressed out over things, I wondered if either of those goals would be attainable. I wondered if I would just be better off dead.

Anyhow, I went into counseling. After a few sessions, she told me that she believed I might be a narcissist. That upset me. Narcissism did not match my self-concept at all. Since she never brought it up again, I assumed that she thought I wasn't one after my reaction to the idea. I quit after a while, since scheduling was getting inconvenient and it didn’t seem to be helping me much.

The issue came up years later, in my second year of college. Back in January, my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer. (He died in May, sadly. ;_; ) I decided to call a friend for advice on whether or not I should drop the semester. She said that I should, and thus we started chatting about other things. Somehow, we got to the topic of my suicidal tendencies. Killing myself would rid me of my suffering, but I would also be deprived of the joys of life. Not to mention it would hurt the people who do care about me. (That’s something I realized even back in high school.) After confiding this to her, she informed me that I would also go to hell. For some reason, my mouth bypassed my brain, and I said this:

“If that’s what you believe…”

Cue accusations of me being an atheist. You see, my friend is a devout Christian…who hates religious debates. And I was fully aware of this. I really should have kept my mouth shut to avoid digging myself deeper, but I felt the need to clarify. In reality, I’m currently noncommittal to any sort of belief, religious or not. I kept bringing it up in the conversation to make sure that she didn’t have the wrong perception of me. I wanted to make it clear that I really didn’t know what to believe, and that I don’t think she is an idiot for being a Christian. She kept telling me to stop, and finally, she accused me of being a narcissist who lacks empathy. To her, I was coming off as being condescending and as thinking she was stupid…which wasn’t what I was going for. In addition, she tried to “comfort” me by saying that I could “learn” to be empathic. Correct me if I’m wrong, but is empathy something that is supposed to come naturally to humans? Psychopaths lack empathy. Narcissists lack empathy. They are despised by the rest of the human race. I’ve always considered myself to be a relatively normal human who tries her best to be kind to others. My suicidal thoughts began to emerge again, and she suggested that I go stay with someone. (I was by myself.) I told her where I was going, hung up, and called some family members to pick me up.

After staying the night, I felt better. I returned home to find some messages on the voice mail. They were from the friend. I called her back. Eventually, I suggested to her that perhaps it was best that she not mention that she thought I was a narcissist, and I compared it to talking about religion. She went off on a tirade about how I didn’t respect her wish not to talk about religion, how she worried about me for hours, and hung up. I felt horrible (and suicidal), and left two messages: one was an apology, and the other was a suggestion that maybe we shouldn’t talk for a while. We haven’t spoken since.

My friend (ex-friend?) is not a trained psychiatrist, nor is she a psych major. However, I can’t help but to wonder if there is a grain of truth to her opinions. Could my entire self-concept be wrong? Could I be lying to myself when I say I care about others, when in reality they just boost my ego? Was I feeling in the back of my mind that I really was smarter and superior to my friend? Should I have called her back when I arrived at my family members’ home? If so, was I simply too stressed out to remember to call, or was I too self-absorbed to call? I keep having thoughts of killing myself, but I doubt that I would ever carry them out because I naturally fear pain, death, and hurting my family and friends. Given this, are my suicidal impulses really just a ploy for attention? Am I really just a heartless b***h? Honestly, I don’t know who I am anymore.

I’m in counseling again, and my counselor doesn’t think I’m a narcissist. But that doesn’t satisfy me because of the possibility that I may be lying to myself. So what do you guys think?
Either you are a narcissist OR your first counselor was taking a stab in the dark cause they honestly don't know what they're doing, your friend was just being a pissy christian that yells intolerance and all that nonsense when someone else has a different opinion as them and tries to voice them.
I'm pretty sure that word means you're vain, and love attention.

So, you are not a narcissist, they are just idiots.
mutants12345
Either you are a narcissist OR your first counselor was taking a stab in the dark cause they honestly don't know what they're doing, your friend was just being a pissy christian that yells intolerance and all that nonsense when someone else has a different opinion as them and tries to voice them.

Heh. Second counselor said that she started it by saying I was going to hell. >_<
Mysterious_Eyes
mutants12345

Heh. Second counselor said that she started it by saying I was going to hell. >_<

Pshawwwww no such thing
Bumped to get more opinions.
you're OBVIOUSLY a narcissist if you think I'm going to read a 500 word essay on why or why not you are a narcissist.
Lol. Just kidding.
I really have nothing to say about this.
But perhaps you should do a little research on personality disorders:
yeah. good luck.

Bashful Phantom

To me, It sounds like you are not a psychopath, because of the way you care about this friend who is obviously causing you a great deal of distress. If you were a psychopath you wouldn't care at all about upsetting this girl or having an argument unless it somehow prevented you from gaining something from her (aka, if you were using her for something that you no longer can)

And I think that it is your low self esteem that is causing you to take the psychologists' words as a personal attack. I think she was probably just exploring the possibility and realized that she was wrong, thus not bringing it up again.

And as you said your friend has no history in psych so why should you believe what she says? It sounds like she may have said it in a moment of anger on top of that.
It's obviously common decency to respect her opinion but I don't think you should be taking it to heart.

Basically, IMO it seems like you judge yourself by either how you compare to other people or compare yourself by other people and I think that that is casing you to constantly feel suicidal once something threatens your conceptions of yourself, because of the fact that you don;t have a strong sense of who you are as a person.

Basically, keep seeing you counselor and tell her all this and try to work on your self esteem. I think it will all come in time from there.
No, you are certainly not a narcissist. You don't sound as though you have a dysfunctional love of yourself. You did mention that you have terrible self-esteem, however, which is just as bad.

Keep going to a counselor--preferably a good one.

As for the huffy friend with the religious bend...don't sweat it. She'll get over her little outrage.
You don't sound like a narcissist, i'm no expert but judging from what i've heard i doubt an actual narcissist would consider themselves one. the fact that you seem to be wondering about yourself, and even the suicidal tendencies suggest you aren't. As for the lack of empathy, if you care enough about your family to prevent you from comitting suicide than that definately isn't right.
However, like you said, you COULD be deluding yourself, but even wanting to argues against narcissism. I'm not sure anyone knows who they are, so that's normal (I hope, because I sure don't). Sometimes I get the same feeling, but I guess we all sometimes feel a lack of emotion and you can always find a way to make yourself look bad, so all of these questions really just suggest very low self esteem rather than narcissism. Assume the best of yourself (even if you're not sure) and go from there, eventually you'll grow to believe it, and then even if at first you were emotionless, you'll delude yourself into feeling (or believing you are) and after a while it should turn into the real thing. Apologies if that was utterly incomprehensible, I'm not so great at explaining things.
M I N T C H A L K
Basically, IMO it seems like you judge yourself by either how you compare to other people or compare yourself by other people and I think that that is casing you to constantly feel suicidal once something threatens your conceptions of yourself, because of the fact that you don;t have a strong sense of who you are as a person.

That's pretty much what my counselor told me. However, I'm worried as to whether or not my entire personality is really just a facade.

Tuxedo Mask (Levitz9)
No, you are certainly not a narcissist. You don't sound as though you have a dysfunctional love of yourself. You did mention that you have terrible self-esteem, however, which is just as bad.

This is actually part of the reason for my confusion. I've looked on Wikipedia (not the best source, I know, but bear with me here), and I've wondered if I could be the hypervigilant subtype, and that my "guilt" was actually a conscious effort to keep me from seeing others as abusers and to put the blame on myself. Thus, if I "blame" myself, I couldn't possibly view myself a narcissist, while deep inside, I actually did feel that I was the victim. Does that make sense? sweatdrop ...Oh, and nice avi. ^_^

shadowanderer
You don't sound like a narcissist, i'm no expert but judging from what i've heard i doubt an actual narcissist would consider themselves one. the fact that you seem to be wondering about yourself, and even the suicidal tendencies suggest you aren't. As for the lack of empathy, if you care enough about your family to prevent you from comitting suicide than that definately isn't right.
However, like you said, you COULD be deluding yourself, but even wanting to argues against narcissism. I'm not sure anyone knows who they are, so that's normal (I hope, because I sure don't). Sometimes I get the same feeling, but I guess we all sometimes feel a lack of emotion and you can always find a way to make yourself look bad, so all of these questions really just suggest very low self esteem rather than narcissism. Assume the best of yourself (even if you're not sure) and go from there, eventually you'll grow to believe it, and then even if at first you were emotionless, you'll delude yourself into feeling (or believing you are) and after a while it should turn into the real thing. Apologies if that was utterly incomprehensible, I'm not so great at explaining things.

I understood...mostly. razz I certainly don't feel emotionless, but I sometimes wonder whether or not my feelings are actually genuine. For example, I may not want to commit suicide for my family's sake, but I also may just be telling myself that in order to convince myself that I am a good person. ...Now is that comprehensible? xd

@ShepardCommander-Thanks for the link.
Mysterious_Eyes

This is actually part of the reason for my confusion. I've looked on Wikipedia (not the best source, I know, but bear with me here), and I've wondered if I could be the hypervigilant subtype, and that my "guilt" was actually a conscious effort to keep me from seeing others as abusers and to put the blame on myself. Thus, if I "blame" myself, I couldn't possibly view myself a narcissist, while deep inside, I actually did feel that I was the victim. Does that make sense? sweatdrop ...Oh, and nice avi. ^_^

Yeah, that's the thing about psychology: you should never diagnose yourself, because it's always going to be a biased opinion.
Tuxedo Mask (Levitz9)
Mysterious_Eyes

Yeah, that's the thing about psychology: you should never diagnose yourself, because it's always going to be a biased opinion.

True, I really shouldn't-I'm aware of that. But it's not as if I automatically assume I'm right. That's why I'm asking a counselor along with a bunch of random people on a forum. (Yeah, not the best combination, but it's really all I have access to at this point.) In addition, a part of me seems to want to refuse the positive things that people tell me. And if someone tells me something negative, I start thinking that it may be true, so I try to validate it. I'm not sure why.

Bashful Phantom

Mysterious_Eyes
M I N T C H A L K

That's pretty much what my counselor told me. However, I'm worried as to whether or not my entire personality is really just a facade.

I think that you're probably right, and that this is not your real personality.

Maybe the fact that you have spent so long covering up or avoiding who you really are makes it hard to know anything about your true self?

This might be why you're so quick to believe what others say about you, basically you can't say no because you don;t know whether it's true or not.

It sounds to me like you just need to explore more what defines you as a person, and not by standards or expectations

Bashful Phantom

Mysterious_Eyes
Tuxedo Mask (Levitz9)
Mysterious_Eyes

True, I really shouldn't-I'm aware of that. But it's not as if I automatically assume I'm right. That's why I'm asking a counselor along with a bunch of random people on a forum. (Yeah, not the best combination, but it's really all I have access to at this point.) In addition, a part of me seems to want to refuse the positive things that people tell me. And if someone tells me something negative, I start thinking that it may be true, so I try to validate it. I'm not sure why.

maybe that's your perfectionist streak coming out here.

You're constantly worried that those flaws might be true so you're always picking them apart and half believing them. Maybe you're almost looking for a flaw so that there can be something there to fix?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff