Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yevpraksiya
Rennie`
Yevpraksiya
vera kyoro
Rennie`
Anxiety and any mental illness is incredibly hard to cope with, take it from me! I've been suffering for 9 years sweatdrop

My advice is to get therapy, be it counselling, CBT, see a psychiatrist etc. They may offer medication. Personally I'm trying to avoid medication because of its side effects but if taking it along side therapy it works really well. I was given medication without therapy because my doctor saw it as a quick fix..... oops!

If you ever want to talk then feel free to PM me because I'm going through a stage of high anxiety and low mood, I know how it feels, and it sucks!

thanks for answering (:
yes I've had this all for a little over four years,
the effects have just worsened, and like the guy above said it wasn't a panic attack,
I know what those feel like.

I'm actually in therapy, been bouncing back and forth, trying to find someone who fits me, and my needs. and I've been in and out of the hospital unfortunately, they seem not to give a s**t.
aw, sorry. yeah it's better to know what your on before you take it, too.

thank you, I'll take you up on that!
I just want to point out that panic attacks can come in many different forms and occur on different levels.

Clinically speaking a panic attack is a reaction to extreme fear, or panic, which causes the body to react physically and emotionally, like hyperventilation, sweating, depersonisation etc. What she experienced may not have been a panic attack, it sounds like anxiety to me, but I wasn't there to see it so I'm not sure.

PS I tried to find a good definition online but they were either too long, too short or are not true definitions of panic attacks.
well i'm not trying to argue, as i wasn't there either. I'm just sayin.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/panic-attacks/DS00338/DSECTION=symptoms

Panic attack symptoms can make your heart pound and cause you to feel short of breath, dizzy, nauseated and flushed. Because panic attack symptoms can resemble life-threatening conditions, it's important to seek an accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Panic attacks typically include a few or many of these symptoms:

A sense of impending doom or death
Rapid heart rate
Sweating
Trembling
Shortness of breath
Hyperventilation
Chills
Hot flashes
Nausea
Abdominal cramping
Chest pain
Headache
Dizziness
Faintness
Tightness in your throat
Trouble swallowing
Panic attacks typically begin suddenly, without warning. They can strike at almost any time — when you're driving the school car pool, at the mall, sound asleep or in the middle of a business meeting. Panic attacks have many variations, but symptoms usually peak within 10 minutes and last about half an hour. You may feel fatigued and worn out after a panic attack subsides.

I overdosed.
Narcissistic Admiration
What medications are you taking? My mother also has depression, post traumatic stress disorder, and anxiety. She didn't get better until after going on her meds and seeing a psychologist.

Prazosin x2
Paxil
Wellbutran

I've been on them (tried celexa, remron, and a couple others) since October 11
I've also been seeing someone since November.

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
How can you have PTSD and be a teen? Maybe get some hobbies besides focusing on your sadness. I'm sick of depressed people acting like their depression makes them more interesting or special. I'm depressed, but I don't go waving the look at me flag. Deal with it focus on other s**t and hope it goes away. Don't write crappy poetry and vie for attention. People only feel awkward or annoyed when you bother them with depression. Most people deny any kind of comfort anyways, they just want people to listen. I'm sure you'll find enough "listeners" here, but take my advice and keep it to yourself.
frank_the_rabbit
How can you have PTSD and be a teen? Maybe get some hobbies besides focusing on your sadness. I'm sick of depressed people acting like their depression makes them more interesting or special. I'm depressed, but I don't go waving the look at me flag. Deal with it focus on other s**t and hope it goes away. Don't write crappy poetry and vie for attention. People only feel awkward or annoyed when you bother them with depression. Most people deny any kind of comfort anyways, they just want people to listen. I'm sure you'll find enough "listeners" here, but take my advice and keep it to yourself.

you sound like you don't know what your talking about,
so I decided to ignore the rest.

you know nothing.

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Yevpraksiya
Rennie`
Yevpraksiya
vera kyoro
Rennie`
Anxiety and any mental illness is incredibly hard to cope with, take it from me! I've been suffering for 9 years sweatdrop

My advice is to get therapy, be it counselling, CBT, see a psychiatrist etc. They may offer medication. Personally I'm trying to avoid medication because of its side effects but if taking it along side therapy it works really well. I was given medication without therapy because my doctor saw it as a quick fix..... oops!

If you ever want to talk then feel free to PM me because I'm going through a stage of high anxiety and low mood, I know how it feels, and it sucks!

thanks for answering (:
yes I've had this all for a little over four years,
the effects have just worsened, and like the guy above said it wasn't a panic attack,
I know what those feel like.

I'm actually in therapy, been bouncing back and forth, trying to find someone who fits me, and my needs. and I've been in and out of the hospital unfortunately, they seem not to give a s**t.
aw, sorry. yeah it's better to know what your on before you take it, too.

thank you, I'll take you up on that!
I just want to point out that panic attacks can come in many different forms and occur on different levels.

Clinically speaking a panic attack is a reaction to extreme fear, or panic, which causes the body to react physically and emotionally, like hyperventilation, sweating, depersonisation etc. What she experienced may not have been a panic attack, it sounds like anxiety to me, but I wasn't there to see it so I'm not sure.

PS I tried to find a good definition online but they were either too long, too short or are not true definitions of panic attacks.
well i'm not trying to argue, as i wasn't there either. I'm just sayin.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/panic-attacks/DS00338/DSECTION=symptoms

Panic attack symptoms can make your heart pound and cause you to feel short of breath, dizzy, nauseated and flushed. Because panic attack symptoms can resemble life-threatening conditions, it's important to seek an accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Panic attacks typically include a few or many of these symptoms:

A sense of impending doom or death
Rapid heart rate
Sweating
Trembling
Shortness of breath
Hyperventilation
Chills
Hot flashes
Nausea
Abdominal cramping
Chest pain
Headache
Dizziness
Faintness
Tightness in your throat
Trouble swallowing
Panic attacks typically begin suddenly, without warning. They can strike at almost any time — when you're driving the school car pool, at the mall, sound asleep or in the middle of a business meeting. Panic attacks have many variations, but symptoms usually peak within 10 minutes and last about half an hour. You may feel fatigued and worn out after a panic attack subsides.

I've been having panic attacks for 9 years.... I think I know what they are...

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
If you have PTSD you'll get depression too.

I recommend counseling, therapy, etc. I've heard CBT works.

I have PTSD too, what has worked for me is dealing with it and letting it out. If that's what you're doing with your depression you're probably working on your PTSD at the same time.

It takes time, but it does work.

Edit: Feel free to join the PTSD support thread.

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
vera kyoro
frank_the_rabbit

you know nothing.

Then I suppose wallowing in sadness and refusing to recognize a problem and actively trying to fix it is the plan then. You don't want advice, you want pity.
frank_the_rabbit
vera kyoro
frank_the_rabbit

you know nothing.

Then I suppose wallowing in sadness and refusing to recognize a problem and actively trying to fix it is the plan then. You don't want advice, you want pity.

cute, just keep running your mouth like you know what your talking about,
THAT sure works.

ps. assumptions for the weak.

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
frank_the_rabbit
vera kyoro
frank_the_rabbit

you know nothing.

Ehh, seriously.

It's perfectly possible to get PTSD in the teens, or before that. It has nothing to do with age.

If you're depressed, by all means get help. She already has help, so evidently she IS doing something about her problems.

No idea where you got the "poetry" from, I haven't seen any poetry of hers. This forum is for Life Issues, people asking for advice and help. It's just the place to bring your problems, to meet those who are willing to assist you.

Your comment was actually more likely to be harmful than helpful, it was right of her to disregard it. She could've been nicer about it, but you weren't polite to begin with.
Petrograd

I have PTSD too, what has worked for me is dealing with it and letting it out. If that's what you're doing with your depression you're probably working on your PTSD at the same time.

hey! thank you so much for the reply.
I think I have a little bit of genetic depression,
but it's gotten a lot worse sense my trauma.

I am taking the right steps,
and I'm in therapy,
and getting suited with the right medications.
CBT?

I've told my parents, a few months back, of my sexual assult
but I haven't been able to share details, and I'm hoping that comes with time, as you say.

I'll check it out! thanks a lot!
it helps!

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
vera kyoro
Petrograd

and I'm in therapy,
CBT?

but I haven't been able to share details, and I'm hoping that comes with time, as you say.

it helps!
smile Glad to help! Really smile

It's of course possible to have depression also razz But PTSD in itself is so detrimental to ones' health you'll get depression if you didn't have it already.

If you're in therapy and working with your issues, you're doing the right things to improve your mental health. It does take time, but yeah, it works razz Which is what matters the most.

It's good that you can talk to people about it smile Some in my family were very supportive, some more neutral, some a bit negative. I was adviced to reduce the contact with those who were bad for me by my consellor.

CBT is cognitive behavioral therapy. I don't know how it works for PTSD, but generally it's to reduce a fear of something by meeting the fear in a safe way.

My trauma was the result of a near death experience in a machine at work, so I think it qualified as CBT when I went there with my psychologist once.

I've been remembering bits and pieces over time, so it's possible you'll remember more of your trauma later on if you work for it. Regardless though, the main step as I see it is acknowledging there is a problem and deciding to do something about it. It seems to me you already have done so, so I think you have a good chance to improve your situation further.

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Petrograd
vera kyoro
Petrograd

and I'm in therapy,
CBT?

it helps!

It's of course possible to have depression also razz But PTSD in itself is so detrimental to ones' health you'll get depression if you didn't have it already.

If you're in therapy and working with your issues, you're doing the right things to improve your mental health. It does take time, but yeah, it works razz Which is what matters the most.

It's good that you can talk to people about it smile Some in my family were very supportive, some more neutral, some a bit negative. I was adviced to reduce the contact with those who were bad for me by my consellor.

CBT is cognitive behavioral therapy. I don't know how it works for PTSD, but generally it's to reduce a fear of something by meeting the fear in a safe way.

My trauma was the result of a near death experience in a machine at work, so I think it qualified as CBT when I went there with my psychologist once.

I've been remembering bits and pieces over time, so it's possible you'll remember more of your trauma later on if you work for it. Regardless though, the main step as I see it is acknowledging there is a problem and deciding to do something about it. It seems to me you already have done so, so I think you have a good chance to improve your situation further.

Poetry mysteriously disappeared after my post. If I could help as much as that my job is done. All I'm doing is trying to be a real of advice and REALITY. If you want to be coddled, fine, but don't expect the adult world to deal with your s**t forever. That's all I'm saying. Learn to hide it, like me, or get over it. Everyone had depression and there are literally thousands of articles about what causes it. Coming to a forum is just a cry for attention in my mind. If there was a specific issue here that advice was needed it wouldn't bother me. Stating what is causing your problems, then asking for pity belongs in the chatterbox.
frank_the_rabbit
Petrograd
vera kyoro
Petrograd

and I'm in therapy,
CBT?

it helps!

Poetry mysteriously disappeared after my post. If I could help as much as that my job is done. All I'm doing is trying to be a real of advice and REALITY. If you want to be coddled, fine, but don't expect the adult world to deal with your s**t forever. That's all I'm saying. Learn to hide it, like me, or get over it. Everyone had depression and there are literally thousands of articles about what causes it. Coming to a forum is just a cry for attention in my mind. If there was a specific issue here that advice was needed it wouldn't bother me. Stating what is causing your problems, then asking for pity belongs in the chatterbox.

you poor soul. having to hide everything.
I'd never want your kind of reality.

learn to read, nobody asked for pity.
Petrograd
vera kyoro
Petrograd

and I'm in therapy,
CBT?

it helps!

ah, I'm sorry.
I'd be scared as s**t going back to work.
do you still work there?

thanks for the advice, and the response. (:
also thanks for being open with me.
you have been keeping busy and moving around.
but that is suppressing the problem, how long can you run ?
you take the problems with you where ever you go.
in the end you have to solve the problem.

once you turn to face the problem and solve them, the moving around keeping busy and the panic attacks themselves go away.
easy to say isn't it. hard as all to actually do it.

but for right now, when the fear rises in your belly consuming everything,

try meditation practice a little every day. it gives you a bit more control.

say positive things to yourself.
"I can control my fears."
say it over and over.
Then, do what you should do.
It is hard, and sometimes you will not be able to do it.
but every time you try, you do get a little stronger.
It takes time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces