Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, here's the deal, I have a friend who is and has been playing my sympathy card for ages. Howver, this friend is threatenting to run away and, though they've hurt me deeply, I'm still concerned for them. What do I do??
I'm kinda slow, I don't understand this "sympathy card" thing. sweatdrop
Talk to them about it. Tell them you care, so they don't need to be bugging you for sympathy all the time.
Why is this person running away?If it's justified talk it out with the person and others. If it's for some asinine personal gain reason talk it out but not as kindly, a proverbial slap to the face, drop 'em if they keep threatning to run away unless it's for a serious and justafiable reason.
They are running away because they think that no one cares. The reason they don't is because she continuously pushes EVERYONE away.

If someone is playing your sympathy card, it means you are a sympathetic person, but they take advantage of it and use it for their own gain. ^
Alex_Sukehiro
They are running away because they think that no one cares. The reason they don't is because she continuously pushes EVERYONE away.

If someone is playing your sympathy card, it means you are a sympathetic person, but they take advantage of it and use it for their own gain. ^

OH. Sorry, I've just never heard that in my whole 19 years of life.

You might be spoiling her. I'd say go one on one with your friend and tell her that you ARE her friend and that she doesn't need to feed off your sympathy all the time. She might not realize that what she's doing is wrong and hurting you. If she's just being a selfish b***h, tell her that that's not right.

I agree with Daioh's approach.
Just let her know that you guys do care, so she can relax, and not worry about it. Tell her that she doesn't have to try and impress you guys, you already care about her.
Quote:
You might be spoiling her. I'd say go one on one with your friend and tell her that you ARE her friend and that she doesn't need to feed off your sympathy all the time. She might not realize that what she's doing is wrong and hurting you. If she's just being a selfish b***h, tell her that that's not right.

I agree with Daioh's approach.

Thank you. I am tempted to say that she IS being selfish since she's just like that. I've tried to tell her I'm a firned, but she always insists that she's alone...and then complains about it. sweatdrop
Daioh
Why is this person running away?If it's justified talk it out with the person and others. If it's for some asinine personal gain reason talk it out but not as kindly, a proverbial slap to the face, drop 'em if they keep threatning to run away unless it's for a serious and justafiable reason.

Thank you very much for your concern/advice. I will seriously take it to heart. Con I put ya on my friend's list??
Alex_Sukehiro

Your friend sounds like shes attention-obsessed...she knows that she can come to you for reassurance and that you'll tell her things to boost up her selfesteem...you need to confront her about this, tell her you care about her and that you're sick of being her reassurance, turn the tables...try to get some sympathy out of her, show her what its like...she might relate better then.

She needs to learn to get personal gain through things other than sympathy, it might make her feel better, and make you feel like a better person for making her feel better...but its only temporary, it'll enventually go away and you'll be called upon once again to make her "feel better".

Well, that was rather repeatitive ne? Hope all ends well at least.
Quote:
Your friend sounds like shes attention-obsessed...she knows that she can come to you for reassurance and that you'll tell her things to boost up her selfesteem...[quote/]

That's EXACTLY how she is!!!!
It's very annoying.
I suggest you take the good advice presented here and just confront her about it. Where it goes from there is entirely up to her since it seems you have been supportive and a great friend undeserving of all this stress.
Alex_Sukehiro
Quote:
Your friend sounds like shes attention-obsessed...she knows that she can come to you for reassurance and that you'll tell her things to boost up her selfesteem...[quote/]

That's EXACTLY how she is!!!!
It's very annoying.

You should tell her that...or it might get to the point you get so angry that you blow up at her and everything might come out at on
her a reason to run. ^_^; Once again, Daioh puts it best!
Tell their parents. Put a fifty pound "drag ball" around their ankel.
pinkmoons225
Tell their parents. Put a fifty pound "drag ball" around their ankel.

Wrong, but hilarious!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces