Welcome to Gaia! ::

As the title somewhat explains... one of my best friends is scheduled for a surgery on Friday. He's sick. Some really rare condition that I don't understand a lot about.
Anyway, as is the usual with all surgeries, there are risks. So this might be the last time I talk to him for a while, or possibly even ever.. sad

So. Onto the positive stuff. I'd like to do a little special something for him before then. Sounds easy enough, right?

Here are the cons:
-He lives in the U.S., I live in Canada. Pretty far away.
-I don't think I'm able to call him, as his relatives are super protective and would freak if a random number appeared on the phone bill. That was my initial plan, though - to call him and leave a voice mail for him to listen to before surgery. I *might* still be able to, but I'd like a back-up plan.

Taking a cute picture or making a video for him is alright, I guess. But I'm looking for something more special, and a little more creative.

Dapper Noob

1,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
+Trynyti+
As the title somewhat explains... one of my best friends is scheduled for a surgery on Friday. He's sick. Some really rare condition that I don't understand a lot about.
Anyway, as is the usual with all surgeries, there are risks. So this might be the last time I talk to him for a while, or possibly even ever.. sad

So. Onto the positive stuff. I'd like to do a little special something for him before then. Sounds easy enough, right?

Here are the cons:
-He lives in the U.S., I live in Canada. Pretty far away.
-I don't think I'm able to call him, as his relatives are super protective and would freak if a random number appeared on the phone bill. That was my initial plan, though - to call him and leave a voice mail for him to listen to before surgery. I *might* still be able to, but I'd like a back-up plan.

Taking a cute picture or making a video for him is alright, I guess. But I'm looking for something more special, and a little more creative.

Try that snail Mail.

A letter means more then most other things and with an overnight delivery you can make sure he gets it soon.

write and send a letter with maybe a picture of you and hope he gets the letter before the parents. Trust me the letter gives him something to hold onto its an idea and something i know from experience is comforting.

6,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
As someone said, snailmail is good. It can be a simple letter, which is always great. I personally love those from friends. You can also send in stuff in a care package. Cheesy stuff is awesome. I remember one friend send me a bunch of postcards and pins from Canada. I was like 13 or 14 when I got them. I'm 19 now and still have them. You can also add stuff in there that your friend is interested in like games, CDs, Playboys (not really :'P), um...not sure what else. Oh! Make sure to add a bunch of get well soon cards in there. Hell, just put as many cards as you want.

Just a quick question. Are you two just friends or are there deeper feelings involved between you two? If so, I have other more romantic suggestions (and non-sexual if you're minors).

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
User Image

I will have to agree that a hand written letter is assuredly the best course of action. Though it may raise a minor red flag to an over-protective parent that a stranger over the internet has the address, it is ultimately quite harmless and could mean a great deal.

A hand written letter shows that you went an extra step and actually put heart and effort into it, even if it is just a brief and simple few paragraphs or so. Wish him well and tell him you are there for him, rooting for him, and hoping all for the best. Tell him he has someone going through it with him and that you are thinking about him. Any nerves he may be feeling about the surgery, a very common and natural emotion before such a thing, will at least be soothed if he receives such direct, emotional care for him. And that may also release stress or concern for him on your end as well, knowing you did something to ease his own worries.

Without phone access, there is little that can be done in the sense of what I would call special, but a heart-felt, hand-written letter is always assuredly a nice thing to read in any scenario.

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces