Welcome to Gaia! ::

AllThingsNew101

So yes, the faith has a blood stained past. I agree. It also has tons of great things that Christians have done. But then, those things are not in the forefront.

I think the issue is that most of the famous bad things that Christians are credited for were done because the people behind them were Christian, while the tons of great things that Christians have done you speak of, largely, weren't done because of Christianity.

Edit: Examples!

Bad thing: The Spanish Inquisition. Clearly directly related to Christianity.

Good thing: The discovery of vaccination. They guy responsible for this was Christian, but it wasn't because he was Christian that he developed the first kind of vaccination.
real Christians don't do hate speech. XDD

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
I tend to be wary around Christians mainly because dealings in the past have been...far from favorable. Having one of your best friends tell you you are going to hell because you weren't baptized at a young age, then have a group of kids tell you that you should be burned at the stake in high school (among other incidences) doesn't really paint a good picture of the group as a whole. Nowadays, I know many Christians who are kind and non-judgmental and are all around good people. I try not judge a person for their religion or beliefs, but if it's all they talk about and they are constantly trying to convert you even when you tell them to stop (nicely), I don't really want to be around that. I tend to avoid such folk because all I ever feel is uncomfortable and on the defensive around them. But that extends to any religion or view-point. Too fanatical and it gets creepy. User Image
A lot of the people I see on this website who talk s**t about religion tend to be punk kids who are still living on their parents' dime and are bitter about that dependence because it means that they have no choice but to go along with what their parents say (which includes, but is not limited to, following their parents' religious example). Add to that the fact that they are going through puberty and are overall angry and unpleasant because of their hormones, and you're going to have a very hostile climate for debate, vis a vis the Gaia Forums, as prepubescent kids can't help but lash out angrily at things they can't control in their own lives.

Dangerous Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
ice queen in a dark tower
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
While I do agree that it is a little unnecessary and wrong for her to go that far based on your religion, there is a reason why people respond like this. The truth is that, there really aren't many Christians out there who aren't ignorant, and I am completely respectful of the ones who aren't, but they just don't come around often, and they ignorant ones usually have certain beliefs from their religion that are hateful or contradict themselves or make absolutely no sense, which is why many people often get angry towards Christians. And while I do think it's wrong to judge someone solely based on their religion, I also think it is wrong to believe hateful things because of your religion, and as long as you are not doing anything or saying anything hateful, then there is no reason for you to be attacked like that.
except the fact that hes associating himself with a group of people known for being hateful/ignorant/a hinderance to this country
its like if someone says 'oh hey im part of the kkk but im not racist', it doesnt matter what they are, theyre associating themselves with a terrible group and people are gonna judge them for it
i mean ideally nobody should be made fun of for their religions, its not like you really have a say in what religion you were born into, but its understandable why people do it

Pardon? How is this comparison make sense in your mind? You're a pretty inflammatory person. Likewise, your comment about Christians being brainwashed/brainwashers in your last post was rather insulting.
Cain The Cannibal
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
While I do agree that it is a little unnecessary and wrong for her to go that far based on your religion, there is a reason why people respond like this. The truth is that, there really aren't many Christians out there who aren't ignorant, and I am completely respectful of the ones who aren't, but they just don't come around often, and they ignorant ones usually have certain beliefs from their religion that are hateful or contradict themselves or make absolutely no sense, which is why many people often get angry towards Christians. And while I do think it's wrong to judge someone solely based on their religion, I also think it is wrong to believe hateful things because of your religion, and as long as you are not doing anything or saying anything hateful, then there is no reason for you to be attacked like that.
except the fact that hes associating himself with a group of people known for being hateful/ignorant/a hinderance to this country
its like if someone says 'oh hey im part of the kkk but im not racist', it doesnt matter what they are, theyre associating themselves with a terrible group and people are gonna judge them for it
i mean ideally nobody should be made fun of for their religions, its not like you really have a say in what religion you were born into, but its understandable why people do it

Pardon? How is this comparison make sense in your mind? You're a pretty inflammatory person. Likewise, your comment about Christians being brainwashed/brainwashers in your last post was rather insulting.
i already admitted several posts ago that it wasn't a good example.
ok, youre insulted. i dont care.

Dangerous Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
Cain The Cannibal
Twisted Rainbow Insanity

Didn't see that post, sorry. Must have missed it, I do that sometimes.

And gee, you seem like a nice person.
That's some crazy stuff.
It is annoying though when people judge others only based on what they believe in.
I think it's who the person is deep down inside that should matter.
Cain The Cannibal
Cain The Cannibal
Twisted Rainbow Insanity

Didn't see that post, sorry. Must have missed it, I do that sometimes.

And gee, you seem like a nice person.
yeah im nice sometimes
AllThingsNew101
I have been on Gaia for quite some time, and I have noticed one thing. Discrimination, and hate speech of any kind is usually openlly frowned upon...

...that is, unless it is directed at religion or religious people.

I am a Christian, and one day I was posting in a thead about how this one girl hated her parents because they would not let her wear tight clothing. I commented that the girl (who was 16) should probably just wait until got out of her parents house before wearing tight clothes, and that fighting her parents on such a trivial topic would cause more harm than good. I developed a following in the thread of people who agreed.

Then I got a PM from the OP of the thread, saying the worst things. Calling me a pig headed, backwards Christian legalist, and how she hates me for being Christian (I am not making this up). Needless to say, I was a little more than offended.

And this is one of many examples.

All across the forums, whenever Religion is being talked about, for the most part, it is in an offensive manner. People hate when Christians use hate speech concerning people of different life styles (homosexuals, pro-life supporters and the like) but its ok when the focus of the hate is religion. Is that not hypocritical?

I am one to respect those of different faiths, belifes and life styles, and to be honest, most of the people I know who do the same are religious people. I only begin to hear hate language when I am talking to a non religious person about religion. Now granted, I knwo thats biased and isolated, but the fact remains, religious people are not ALL hateful, and non-religious people are not ALL open and affirming...

Thoughts?

John 15:18 "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." Simple as that.

I was on a different thread and simply stated MY opinion about Atheism, I didn't condemn anyone, didn't bash any religious beliefs that differ from mine. I asked a simple question, which lead to someone questioning and mocking my beliefs. There have been numerous occasions on which this has occurred, more than I could count. Just keep your head up and bite your tongue, anger only gives them an excuse to call you a hypocrite.

and they are ALWAYS looking for a reason to call you a hypocrite.
If people want to bash my faith, then so be it. I will not let ignorance define who I am. Unfortunately, I do not go to to church on a daily basis. BUT I communicate with God on a daily basis. I know for a fact that I have His love and protection. All I do is show people unconditional love as I am supposed to do as a good Christian woman. If that person chooses to hate me because of my religion, I pray for them and move on. That is really all there is to it for me. God has kept me out of the hospital this year so far and is helping me deal with all the abuse I went through in the past. With His help, I learned the value of love and strength. People who misuse Gods word as a way to hate and people who want to make generalizations against Christians can go suck it. Hopefully later on in life they will learn to love. We need more love in this world.

Greedy Grabber

The Whiskey Rebellion
AllThingsNew101
Needless to say, I was a little more than offended.

User Image

Dangerous Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
I'm Christian.Christianity isn't a religion, Its a relationship with God. many people claim themselves to be"christian" but really aren't.Also many people who see the Christians these days think of them as hypocrites, because it is true. There are alot of hypocritical christians out there in the world. So many talk about how wrong the new lifestyles that come into the world, but, I won't say anything about people but i just pray for them, NOT JUST THEM, but also ME as well. Also some christians who go to the wrong church are taught the wrong things, example: the pastor who predicted the end of the world in May. They make us look more and more bad every day. They go and put down others who aren't christian. This is the truth.

Remember, it is up for the person to accept Jesus. If they dont, let them go

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? Matthew 7:3

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:5
I have nothing against christian but I do gotta admit whenever someone makes a close minded comment in school about things concerning where we came from or whats good and what bad it's a christian .-.
I Shall Grant You NoMercy
Christrens are hyprocrties, because their Relgion teaches them to be loving. So if a bat-s**t insane Christens gose on a butthurt rampage about how much they hate homosexuals and woman having free will over their bodies, then there hyprocrties, because they arnt following their Relgion that they constantly shove down everyones throats. Well... most anyway.
COMPRENDO?

i can see what your trying to say...but you can definitely word it better...and not make it sound so biased. :

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff