Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angelic Friend

Jin_of_the_thunder
I go to the gym three times a week and I do a lot of walking.

Never been to a real, professional gym.
I've only ever exercised at home and school.
Don't think it'll be much different at a real gym but I hear the atmosphere is enough to pump you up for working out. ~

Angelic Friend

Kawohni

I wish I could say that I do, but no, I just sit around all day.

It's never too late to start. emotion_c8

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
Romeigh
Jin_of_the_thunder

Don't think it'll be much different at a real gym but I hear the atmosphere is enough to pump you up for working out. ~

to be honest the 'atmosphere' tends to get on my nerve. every time I seem to show up there seems to be a spin class going on in the corner, playing awful music with the leader screaming out at the class. I just put my earphones in and get on with what I'm doing and try to shut out everything else.

Angelic Friend

The Carnival of Flowers

I've just started a program called Turbo Fire which, I admit, is kind of difficult and I had been trying on and off for a while. I had a lot of great success with the first DVD set, which was Turbo Jam, when I was about thirteen/fourteen and I had gone from 180 or so pounds down to 140 close to 130 in about several months. But due to a lot of family complications and moving, I lost my DVDs and kind of fell out of my fitness as my gym classes weren't as intense and didn't give me as much as a push like the Turbo series did.

I bought the Turbo Fire DVD's maybe a week ago? Maybe more. I'm on the first week right now and everything is kind of difficult. My goal is to lose around 70 pounds -- don't care how long it takes, but I gotta do it. Because I'm sure I"m the heaviest I'm ever going to be, even heavier than I had been before, and that's settled firmly on 200 and more. When I was a kid, I hated gym class; when I was thirteen and up to the point where I graduated in June, I loved gym. So this is kind of a major disappointment for me to be this heavy. orz

@foods
    Not a lot of healthy things in my house, tbh. I mean this week I bought school snacks and snuck in some carrots, grapes, apples, and oranges in there - but outside of that, it's just snacks. Sugary, sweet, other stuff. My mom went on some weird warpath to lose weight over the summer, so she's eating a lot more cleanly now; though problem is, I can't copy what she eats, too, because she mostly makes it for herself and also because of the fact that once she uses it, it's pretty much gone. So, yeah. Mostly a lot of junk food laying around the house. Like today, kind of ashamed to say that I had so much pizza. I broke it up with oatmeal and apples as much as I could, but damn. emotion_sweatdrop

@fitness
    I'm going to have to get a gym membership to stoke some extra fire to that Turbo session, because most of the time, I'm kind of just sitting at home with nothing much to do. Outside of cleaning, of course. But sometimes when you've swept and washed dishes and mopped floors, it gets boring and you just don't want to do it anymore - especially after a half hour of your siblings coming home everything is wrecked and disgusting again. So, yeah. Fitness = gym membership.

More healthy food = more jobs. Because I only work at Walmart right now and that's just giving me about 400 or so dollars.

More jobs = more volunteering. Just to stay outside and stay active.

@body type
    I don't even ******** know, tbh. lol I remember when I lost weight when I was thirteen/fourteen I still had a rather large chest size, but small waist? It sucked having to jog. Like holy s**t; can we say lower back pain after a few feet? Despite that, though, I still want to jog. I was stronger than most girls at that age because of my Turbo Jam routine and I gained some muscle definition from that. Pretty much gone since I fell off the fitness wagon for a couple of years. I don't know about my metabolism. I'm pretty sure that it's average.

Wow, thanks for such a great response! I appreciate it. emotion_brofist
I watched the video you linked and wow, that woman has great energy! Reminds me of my gym teacher who I had class with for the last time today.
Yeah, it does look pretty difficult. Lots of moving and very little breaks. We did something similar in my gym class a few weeks ago and I barely lasted for 5 minutes.
And gosh, I know what you mean about not having much healthy foods around the house. s**t's expensive anyway, but when my mom buys any veggies or fruits, she uses it ALL up for the dinner meal and she usually fries it in some way and uses SO MUCH oil or butter, basically ruining it. I'm super unhealthy because of that, despite having a fast metabolism and not looking like I have a ton of fat. It's horrible. Working out would help of course, but I already know that diet is just as important and unfortunately right now I don't have the means to eat "right"... :/

You should try asking your mother to make you some of the food? Or even ask her how to cook the dishes and maybe have her give you the recipes, unless she doesn't share and makes you buy your own food? :/
I mean I've been told that calorie intake isn't too important as long as you're working out to burn it all off; I think it does also depend on your body type and your metabolism as well, though.

And yeah, you're right. Exercising can be really fun but if you're getting it through menial tasks, it becomes more like a chore, which ruins it.
Anyway, I wish you luck with all that. Sounds like you have your goal set and you know exactly what you need to do to get there, which is awesome!
It's always the most difficult starting a goal and maintaining your path to reach it.

Angelic Friend

Jin_of_the_thunder
Romeigh
Jin_of_the_thunder

to be honest the 'atmosphere' tends to get on my nerve. every time I seem to show up there seems to be a spin class going on in the corner, playing awful music with the leader screaming out at the class. I just put my earphones in and get on with what I'm doing and try to shut out everything else.

... rofl
Wow, that's funny.
I guess because I can actually totally picture it and I witness it everyday when I go to p.e. at my school.
Like dang.
I'd say they're ruining the atmosphere for ya quite a bit then, because it shouldn't be like that. Everyone should mind their own business, do their own thing, but all be sweating it up using the equipment there. That would make for a nice atmosphere in the gym I think. xp
And it'd certainly motivate me to do my best.

Magical Tree

Due to various injuries and health problems, I can't do a majority of exercises (without causing myself major pain or asthma attacks).

So it's low-stress, low-impact, slow stuff for me.

I walk to and from work pretty much every day - 5 days a week. It's a 25-30 minute walk.

I do some stretches, and sometimes some yoga poses. But I have to be careful. Pulling my arms certain ways exacerbates the MPS I have. And I'd rather sleep at night, pain free, than stretch my arms.

I'm a small built, fast metabolism type. I burn through food like wildfire. Sometimes I wonder if I'll get diabetes because of it (because carbs really are my mainstay... without them, i'd have to eat like 10 times a day, and i'd feel starved all day).

Magical Tree

Romeigh
Dustiest Gozongas
I do yoga and Zumba. During the summer, running and biking are also a part of my exercise routine and I used to dance up until I graduated high school. And kickline, did that in high school too.

Exercise has always been important to me. I am very lean and have a small frame.

I heard something rather silly about zumba. There's people who do it (and yoga) in a super hot room while barely drinking any water, and they believe that makes them get stronger quicker? My p.e. teacher was like, "Everyone in the room was so happy over how much they sweated in such a short time and they figured it was such a great workout...except it's 100 degrees in the room and they had no water, so of course they were sweating buckets!!"

It's quite silly and idk if it's exactly true, but if it is, it's really funny lol.

Hot zumba? LOL. Sounds like dehydration waiting to happen! (bet they lost weight for a little while too. water weight.)

There's also hot yoga. It's the same thing. Ugh. I'd die.

Prophet

If you exercise, how often?
mehhhhh rarely.

Are they intense exercises or not?
Nooooooooooooo. I like swimming and biking, but not regularly for work outs. Is it bad that I consider the speed walking and stair climbing around my college campus most of my "exercise"?

If you don't or rarely do, why is that?
I don't feel the need. I feel healthy; I don't feel a need to work out. And I'm extremely lazy. Whoops.

Also, for further discussion: what kind of foods do you eat daily?
I'll admit to eating a lot of carbs and sugars, but I try to eat fruits and veggies more, mostly veggies! Mmm! Gotta love dat broccoli. <3

Oh, and last but not least, what's your body type?
I'd say I have a fairly average, maybe a little bit fast, metabolism. I can easily gain or shed 5 to 10lbs, but not much more than that without really trying in either direction. 5'5, 127lbs. I'm a tad curvy to where I'm not a twig. I have hips and breasts and a waist smaller than both. Though I've got a bit of rump and thighs to go with it all.
I have a gym and a pool in my building, so I go when I feel like it. I try to go every other day at least. School takes priority, though, and I am a keen student, so often papers and projects and readings get in the way. I probably go around three times a week and have a 70 minute workout: 30 minutes cardio (treadmill & bike) and 40 minutes of floor work (three 10-ish minute sets). Gym workouts are so horribly boring though!

I like martial arts (practiced them for 15 years) but haven't found a place I like yet in Toronto. In Ottawa I went to kickboxing four times a week and it was way more fun and also way better exercise compared to anything I can do at the gym. It was super intensive and I was sore every day. I find I can't push myself to that level on my own. Miss it! There's a place in my area that has kb classes I want to check out, but I don't want to commit to anything before next semester starts because I don't know what kind of time I'll have! (Looking forward to the day I don't have academia dictating my availability for everything else in my life!)

As for diet, I'm a pretty healthy eater. I'm vegetarian so it's mostly soy, eggs, and veggies. I have Vector cereal with a banana every morning. I don't eat much bread, but I like to make wraps. I have Crohn's so I can't eat a lot of the "bad" foods (deep fried stuff, juice, pop, caffeinated beverages) because they tear my digestive system apart. It's easy to keep a healthy diet when your body attacks itself if you don't!

I have an athletic build and have always been physically active. However, I've been the same weight (130) for like 10 years. Doesn't seem to change much. However I don't work out to lose weight - my goal for the last couple years has been to develop my ab muscles! And they're totally coming along! Slowly but surely.

Yep.

Versatile Duelist

I used to. I would jog regularly and was taking Tae Kwon Do classes until about June this year, at which point I hit a slump, and now I just... don't care.

The most exercise I get in a day now is the walk from my front door to the car.

Dangerous Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
When we went to Houston's aquarium, I played a game.. Basically, the woman had to guess my weight. And if she was wrong, I would get a doll. She guessed wrong. At the time, I was.. 135.. I think. Right now, I am 125..

I exercise once a week. Sometimes I will exercise five times a week. I like to exercise 2-5 hours a day. And I do so much because I want to be thin, and still be able to eat delicious food. It's not a great workout. I don't go to a GYM yet. But I do as much exercise that I know. I end up being sore almost all week. So.. I guess you could say it's pretty intense.

For so many years, I would try to get into exercise, and then I would just stop. I use to eat soo much bad food, growing up. Food with a lot of calories. I didn't eat very many vegetables and fruit. Now, I do. I feel more confident. My legs are nice and tight now. Going for these long walks helps my depression.

My body is average. Building muscles in my arm.

The healthy stuff I have are; Spinach. Strawberries. Blueberries. Eggs. Bananas. Corn. Cabbage.. Some other fruit when I have extra money. And I've been drinking a lot more water.

Even when I wake up and I'm dead tired, I will force myself out of bed to exercise. I'm sure a lot of people would rather sit back and relax. But if you really want to be thin, you have to put in a lot more effort into getting s**t done. And that's what I do. I can't wait for the perfect day. I need to do it as much as possible. Luckily, I have the motivation to keep me going. Dean Ambrose is a huge inspiration. My health blog is also! http://sweet-vitality.tumblr.com/
I used to, every single day for a few years, but I've chilled out on it now.

Actually I just don't care anymore. No one ever sees my goods but me, & I can't be arsed to do much of anything anymore for my own sake.

Girl

BeautifuI Mystery
Is it bad that I consider the speed walking and stair climbing around my college campus most of my "exercise"?

Newbie Kitten

Quote:
If you do, how often? Are they intense exercises or not?

I am going to try and motivate myself back into exercising after Nanowrimo is over. Ordinarily I do 20 minutes a day, moderate exercise.

Quote:
If you don't or rarely do, why is that?

The only reason I am not doing so this month is because I am rather more focussed on getting to my desired word count wink

Quote:
Also, for further discussion: what kind of foods do you eat daily?

I try and keep it as a balanced as possible; weekends are my only days for treats. I limit myself to one or two coffees a week. I enjoy fish like salmon however, so that is good, and I am starting to take more of an interest in healthy cooking - Mediterranean cuisine, ahoy!

Quote:
Oh, and last but not least, what's your body type?

I am 5'2", last weighed myself and was 123 lbs, and my body type is 32" - 27" - 37". I am pear-shaped, and the vast majority of any fat I gain goes to my hips and thighs. I do not necessarily need to lose weight, but I want to get to around the 115 lbs mark and to tone up, as I want to start training for historical combat.
Ha no I don't, which I know is a failure on my part. I really should exercise and I really have no excuse, but I can't help but find it just incredibly boring. The only form of exercise I actually enjoy is swimming, but where I live it's cold so the only place you can go swimming is in a public swimming pool where it:

A. Costs a gym membership which in my opinion is overpriced

B. Where I've gone swimming the pools are always crowded and I dislike that for obvious reasons. Navigating around people when you're swimming is annoying.

C. Swimming pools are closed at night time which would be the only time of day I'd actually like to swim because then you could have the pool all to yourself or perhaps with just one or two other people in it. They are closed because in terms of profit it isn't worth it to the gym to hire a life guard at night time.

It's bad because although I'm at a relatively healthy weight right now (I'm 5'9 and weigh 180 lbs. According to BMI that's slightly over but bordering on the overweight category. Meaning that my weight probably isn't healthy but it's not a terrible weight either) I could be doing better. Also everyone says once you hit your thirties you notice your metabolism slows down dramatically and you start gaining more weight unless you exercise. The point being that even though I'm relatively okay right now, I won't be in about 10 years if I continue my lifestyle.

I've been taking advantage of my genes and my inheritance of a high metabolism my whole life, the problem is though that my time on leaning on this is diminishing and going to diminish in less than a decade.

The positive thing though is that I take care of myself when it comes to everything else. I have a decent diet. I don't drink soda, alcohol, or any drinks with caffeine. I don't consume a lot of sugar, I eat a decent amount of vegetables and fruit everyday and I don't eat out often anymore. The next thing I need to tackle with my diet is I eat too much carbs. But I'm content with where I am now because over the past two years I've made these big improvements in my diet.

Also I take really good care of my teeth as well. I've never had a cavity, I floss everyday and brush my teeth at least twice a day as well. I also take vitamin supplements and use non-alcoholic mouth wash in addition to a tongue scraper to make sure my gums stay healthy as well.

So I'd be an extremely healthy individual if I just fixed the two issues of a lack of exercise and reduced the consumption of high carb foods. Besides this though I'm doing fairly well so overall in terms of health I'd rate myself a C or C+. I'm mediocre and okay, but I could do better for sure.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff