Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Codger

7,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
I say we go metric with our units of time, though the French tried that back when the metric system was devised and the idea went no farther than their feet.

The year should start on the spring solstice, too.

• January = 36 days, starting March 20 (37 with leap year)
  • Dovember = 37 days (using the Latin cardinal because the ordinal sounds awkward)
  • Tertober = 36 days, 37 on leap years
  • Quartober = 37 days
  • Quintember = 36 days
  • Sextember = 37 days
  • September = 36 days
  • October = 37 days
  • November = 36 days
  • December = 37 days

Wheezing Codger

8,600 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
Technically, January is also Latin based. It's named for Janus, the double-faced god of beginnings and transitions. Fitting for the first month of the year.

Also, we can't even get everyone to agree on metric measurements of length, weight, and volume. (I mean, C'MON PEOPLE! METRIC MAKES SENSE! CUPS!? TEASPOONS!? WTF? classified_fu /rant) Getting every one to agree to totally screw up their year is never going to happen.

Wheezing Codger

7,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
Brius
Technically, January is also Latin based. It's named for Janus, the double-faced god of beginnings and transitions. Fitting for the first month of the year.

That's why I kept it as it is. I can do without an ego-boosting of dead emperors, so I chose to stick with Latin ordinals, excepting in the case of the second month — both "first" and "second" sound strange converted as month names, and you know we're already going to hear some giggling about the name for the sixth month.

Wheezing Codger

8,600 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
Lunar Real Estate Agent
Brius

That's why I kept it as it is. I can do without an ego-boosting of dead emperors, so I chose to stick with Latin ordinals, excepting in the case of the second month — both "first" and "second" sound strange converted as month names, and you know we're already going to hear some giggling about the name for the sixth month.

Heh. "Sextember." You said "sex."

And yeah. Augustus and Julius totally screwed everything up.

Wheezing Codger

7,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
Brius
Heh. "Sextember." You said "sex."

cat_rofl No kidding.

I just noticed, after finally finding a good Latin reference for cardinal, ordinal, and distributive (come again?) numbers, that I was actually basing most of my names on a very screwed-up cardinal. Almost makes sense to go ordinal, though, but that would get us something like:

1. January
  2. Alterember
  3. Tertember
  4. Quartober
  5. Quintember
  6. Sextember
  7. September
  8. October
  9. Nonober
  10. December

Which totally sounds funny to me. That second one needs some help, or the whole metric idea's shot for me; I'm not about to have more Germanic and Norse gods in my time system, and I'm done with the squabbling Greek gods.

Noble Citizen

12,025 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Gaian 50
Well Iranian Calender is actually Better than that!

The year starts on Spring Solstice, the day is widely celebrated as Noruz not only in Iran but also in a big Area from West China to Albania. It's usually on March 22nd.

Farvardin - 31 Days
Ordibehest - 31
Khordad - 31
Tir- 31
Mordad - 31
Shahrivar - 31
Mehr - 30
Aban - 30
Azar - 30
Dey - 30
Bahman - 30
Esfand - 29 (Leap year 30)

The names are from ancient Iranian religion Zoroastrinism!

Wheezing Codger

7,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
Puuya

The year starts on Spring Solstice, the day is widely celebrated as Noruz not only in Iran but also in a big Area from West China to Albania. It's usually on March 22nd.

Farvardin - 31 Days
Ordibehest - 31
Khordad - 31
Tir- 31
Mordad - 31
Shahrivar - 31
Mehr - 30
Aban - 30
Azar - 30
Dey - 30
Bahman - 30

cat_talk2hand I like the second and sixth ones, can do without the rest. Not to be eurocentric, or anything.

Noble Citizen

12,025 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Gaian 50
Lunar Real Estate Agent
Puuya

Farvardin - 31 Days
Ordibehest - 31
Khordad - 31
Tir- 31
Mordad - 31
Shahrivar - 31
Mehr - 30
Aban - 30
Azar - 30
Dey - 30
Bahman - 30

cat_talk2hand I like the second and sixth ones, can do without the rest. Not to be eurocentric, or anything.

Well the names are not really important! I am just saying the format is better than months with 37 days.
People are used to 12 months and 30-31 days!

Party Member

Lunar Real Estate Agent
User Image

Ugh, thank you! User Image

Wheezing Codger

7,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
Puuya
Lunar Real Estate Agent
Puuya

Farvardin - 31 Days
Ordibehest - 31
Khordad - 31
Tir- 31
Mordad - 31
Shahrivar - 31
Mehr - 30
Aban - 30
Azar - 30
Dey - 30
Bahman - 30

Well the names are not really important! I am just saying the format is better than months with 37 days.
People are used to 12 months and 30-31 days!

cat_gonk Dude, the subject must've clued you in on I'm advocating a metric calendar.

If I can dream this up people can manage a switch over to two fewer months and the beginning of the year happening when it's not so crappy outside (for most of the northern hemisphere, at least).

Not like it's going to happen, or anything, cat_lol so, don't worry!
Lunar Real Estate Agent
I say we go metric with our units of time, though the French tried that back when the metric system was devised and the idea went no farther than their feet.

• January = 36 days, starting March 20 (37 with leap year)
  • Dovember = 37 days (using the Latin cardinal because the ordinal sounds awkward)
  • Tertober = 36 days, 37 on leap years
  • Quartober = 37 days
  • Quintember = 36 days
  • Sextember = 37 days
  • September = 36 days
  • October = 37 days
  • November = 36 days
  • December = 37 days
My question is... why do you add two days on a leap year? One in January, and another in Tertober?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff