Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Borg

A leap-year happen? It's something I've never understood

Original Pumpkin

Mayor Gravity

A leap year (or intercalary or bissextile year) is a year containing one additional day (or, in the case of lunisolar calendars, a month) in order to keep the calendar year synchronized with the astronomical or seasonal year.

For example, in the Gregorian calendar (a common solar calendar), February in a leap year has 29 days instead of the usual 28, so the year lasts 366 days instead of the usual 365.

Questionable Borg

OMFG Shushu
Mayor Gravity

A leap year (or intercalary or bissextile year) is a year containing one additional day (or, in the case of lunisolar calendars, a month) in order to keep the calendar year synchronized with the astronomical or seasonal year.

For example, in the Gregorian calendar (a common solar calendar), February in a leap year has 29 days instead of the usual 28, so the year lasts 366 days instead of the usual 365.
Right, I get that. But why Feb, why not....April or June or some other month? Seems like where you put the day wouldn't matter as long as you have 366 days.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Mayor Gravity
OMFG Shushu
Mayor Gravity

Right, I get that. But why Feb, why not....April or June or some other month? Seems like where you put the day wouldn't matter as long as you have 366 days.
Good question. Probably because it is the shortest month since Julius Caesar docked it by one day and added it to the month he was born - Quintilis, whose name was also changed, by his heir, Augustus, to Iulius, or in modern terms, July. Yes, it was the fifth month then, not the seventh. Augustus also took a day for himself from Feb and added it to his own birth month. Bet you can guess its name.

Questionable Borg

Ratttking
Mayor Gravity
OMFG Shushu
Mayor Gravity

Good question. Probably because it is the shortest month since Julius Caesar docked it by one day and added it to the month he was born - Quintilis, whose name was also changed, by his heir, Augustus, to Iulius, or in modern terms, July. Yes, it was the fifth month then, not the seventh. Augustus also took a day for himself from Feb and added it to his own birth month. Bet you can guess its name.
September? XD

Codebreaking Browser

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Mayor Gravity

The time the earth takes to go around the sun is 365 days and 6 hours. So to make up for the 6 hours we add an extra day to the month of February every four years. It is put in the month of February because long ago February was the last month of the year!

Questionable Borg

princessgree
Mayor Gravity

The time the earth takes to go around the sun is 365 days and 6 hours. So to make up for the 6 hours we add an extra day to the month of February every four years. It is put in the month of February because long ago February was the last month of the year!
I never knew it was the last month smile

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Edward 100
Interesting tidbits of information.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers