Dapper Dabbler

WELCOME!
This thread is about appreciating those artists Lady Gaga has listed as influences. Her Myspace page lists these artists in great depth:
Quote:
Yoko Ono, Elvis, David Bowie, Morrissey, Queen, Robert Smith, Robert Plant, Freddy Mercury, Prince, Rod Stewart, Thomas Dolby, Depeche Mode, The Faint, Radiohead, Beck, Franz Ferdinand, The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, Grace Slick & Jefferson Airplane, Queen, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Talking Heads,The Scissor Sisters, The Dresden Dolls, Mika, She Wants Revenge, Janis Joplin, Jenny Lewis, Joy Division, New Order, The Killers, Justin Warfield, Chuck Berry, BuckCherry, Billy Idol, White Stripes, Strokes, Blondie, Pat Benetar, Rilo Kiley, Elton John, Jerry-Lee Lewis, John Lennon, The Beatles

Things to dicsuss:
How you think these artists have inspired her, her style, and her music...
What you think of the vast amount of genres represented...
Perhaps your favorite artists that inspired Mutter Monster and how they've inspired you...

When I think about these artists, I clearly see how some of them (like Yoko Ono, The Beatles, Queen, Mika, Pat Benetar, and Elton John) have influenced her message of self-love and acceptance. When she's on stage talking about loving yourself, it's almost like Freddy Mercury is talking through her, because the message and the way she delivers the message reminds me of the way Freddy talked at his concerts, and during his interviews.

In her music, I can see bands like The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Radiohead, and all those other decidedly angsty bands she lists, but with the pop and Joie de Vivre attitude of Blondie, Chuck Berry, Janis Joplin, Mika, and The Scissor Sisters. She is definitely her own musician, and I don't see her as "reductive" or repetitive or these other artists, but they are there.

And, of course, to finish it all off, I love that she loves The Dresden Dolls, The Cure, Elton John, and Queen. Truly some of my favorite artists.