User Image

Love it. blaugh

She's fun to analyse!
cz75gsc
Tell me what you think!

Here's the first part:

---------------------------
The Gaga Act
or How the denunciation of a myth empowers the myth itself.

An essay about pop-art, the avant-garde and Lady Gaga.

Who shot Candy Warhol?

This is the subtitle of Gaga's video "The Heart", which was part of her first tour, the "Fame Ball Tour". It directly announces the dialogue between Lady Gaga and pop-art. What is pop-art? The exposition of popular culture as is, as a form of art. A playful yet serious take on what we define as art, and what we define as industrial mass consumption products. What Gaga does goes beyond that. She exposes the products of industrial consumption, but at the same time, she is one of those products. One could see this as a "Mise en abyme" of popular culture by itself. The product exposing itself, exposing itself, exposing itself... Lady Gaga acts as both the critic and the subject, while being the subject of critics for everyone else. An "everyone else" she also embodies and criticizes in her works. It is a double take on pop culture and fame, an embrace and a public hanging. In that regard, by not being external to the source product, Lady Gaga could be considered as "Post Pop-Art". A self-referencing pop-art act that goes beyond the exposure, that goes at the very source of it's subject. Andy Warhol being Marylin Monroe, or a soup can.

----------------------------

To read the rest, head to my blog HERE!

All comments welcomed!

NICE! Haha, but don't refer to her as Lady in the forum title. It's Gaga.
Oh I'll go edit that. I personally refer to her as the Lady tho haha.

Golden Gawker

9,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Wow, very insightful into something that would /normally/ be written off as shallow and ridiculous.
Canada-Chan
Wow, very insightful into something that would /normally/ be written off as shallow and ridiculous.

Thanks. I've been reading a LOT about Lady Gaga and I always had a huge interest for popular culture, so I'm trying to make something out of that! smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff