Welcome to Gaia! ::

After looking through this topic, all I have been noticing are comments made from inconsiderate people who can't seem to understand what's truly happening to Japan, who are closed-minded and care for only themselves, who believe that Japan deserves this, and people who just don't give a sh*t about anything that happens in the world.

First off, I understand that the world is a cruel place. There is always tragedy due to natural disasters, corruption in our governments, war, and the lists continues to go on. We all as human beings should never have to go through tough times like these, but the reality is, we do, and we will continue to. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, there's a difference between giving your opinion, and being outright disrespectful and inconsiderate.

The reason why what is happening, is happening is not because of God, it is not because of karma, it is not because of some magical powers that was directed towards them. So first off, please get that out of your mind. The reason why the earthquake happened, is because the Earth is covered with tectonic "plates", partial shells of rock, and as heat is distributed from the Earth's core, it beings to slowly shift the plates around. But they stick together around the edges, and the force builds up, the plates jerk or lurch across the Earth's mantle creating a Tsunami. For those who didn't know that, now you do. That's the reason why there was an earthquake, not because they were being tested by God or because of what happened at Pearl Harbor. So for those who assume these ideas, now you know.

Yes, the Earthquake happened a Month ago on March 11th. But, just because that ONE earthquake happened on that day, does not mean there weren't any that happened afterwards. It doesn't mean that now a month has passed by, we don't have to care anymore. For those who believe this, have you not looked at the news lately? Have you not heard of what's going on? First, i'll bring up the Chernobyl disaster. The Chernobyl disaster was a nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine. An explosion and fire released large quantities of radioactive contamination into the atmosphere, which spread over much of Western Russia and Europe. It is considered the worst nuclear power plant accident in history. Over 200,000 people died from being there, and from being anywhere near it because of the radiation. Last week, it was stated that Japan's situation has surpassed reached the same level as Chernobyl. So before you assume that we don't need to care anymore, this problem of radiation will continue on for at least a generation. So go ahead and say the disaster's over but in reality, it's not because people, families, will continue to be affected by this.

To those who believe that we shouldn't need to care because we have other things to care about:
ie: "Ok I know that japan is got hit with like 3 earthquakes in this year. But I mean everyone is saying Pray for japan Donate for japan. I mean we have a family, we need to pay for things too. Plus it wasn't THE WHOLE COUNTRY it was part of it." - anon.

Yes, I agree with anon that we have our own personal business to care for. Yes, the earthquake didn't hit "the whole country". But in reality, it did hit the entire country, hard. Everybody was affected either emotionally, physically, and even economically. Japan is the leading country when it comes to the innovation of technology. Because of what happened to Japan, many other countries are hit hard due to the loss of production. Unless Japan receives help from us, they will have a difficult time in trying to stand back up on their own.

Yet, you still question why people even bother caring about japan. Credits to 64 Bits for quotes.

TararistThreat
I'd care as much no matter what country had been affected. Compassion is year round and world wide.

laurenbear75
It's heart breaking to see these poor people go through so much pain. I hold Japan close to my heart for many reasons. Japanese are always so giving and kind, and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my experiences in Japan. It's just upsetting to see anybody regardless of race, sex, religion, culture, whatever, go through something as devastating as this. cry
pink-manga-CUTIE
My heart broke watching a country and its people just get torn apart by the events on Friday. I used to live in Japan and have family and friends who live in Tokyo, Chiba, Nagano, and Nagoya. At this time I have heard back from most of them who are okay although rattled.
Eternal Lord Alustra
I care about japan because idiots like you don't live there smile
SaffronWisteria
I've loved Japan ever since I was little. The culture, yes, the art, and once I got to meet them, the people.

When I became a freshman, the first Japanese person I ever met was our Japanese intern that helped our sensei teach us for the year. He had his flaws, sure, but he was just such an amazing person. He was the first person I thought of when my mom told me there was earthquake and a tsunami. Luckily, he's okay.

Last year I was too shy to speak to any of our exchange students, but this year I've spoken a lot with our intern and our two exchange students. I haven't heard from the intern about her family because she's out this week, but one of the exchange student's family lives in Sendai. She tried that morning to call but had no answer because electricity was out, and I asked her later if she was okay and she started crying, so I felt terrible. But she went back to the Japanese room and was able to call, and they were thankfully safe. However, our other exchange student has only been able to contact her mother. The rest of her relatives are living in a city that's basically under water now, and she's gotten no word of their safety, and that frightens me.

My best friend went to Japan last summer and she was terrified the whole day about her host family's safety. I'm still waiting to hear from her about them.

I care about Japan not only because I love its culture, its beauty, and its art and music, but because I care about these people. I love these people to death, and I hate that I can't do anything more than worry right now. Some people in our class are talking about starting some kind of fund raiser, but we would still have to think of what to do, ask our sensei, and just hope it would be successful. Until then, I can only hope that my friends' families are okay and have survived this tragedy.

So for those who are about to start a topic with their "opinions," please take a second of consideration and realization that what you're about to say isn't much of an "opinion" but rather a blatant assumption that is disrespectful and incredibly inconsiderate.

And if you still decide to troll, troll on here. No need to start a new topic on something that isn't important, let someone else post about something that's worthwhile.

Thanks.

4,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
As respectable as this thread is, dont' give attention to the assholes, they want this attention! They don't give a s**t about the victims, they don't s**t about what has happened, because their nothing more than children who doesn't understand the situation and relaying it into an insensitive comments that they're making, because they prefer to give attention to themselves.
Aria :: It's just... so hard not to react to what they're saying. I don't know, to be honest, I really feel sorry for these type of people who are constantly despicable and inconsiderate. They're closed-minded and can't see what's really happening. I guess this is what's happening to our society. :/

4,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
A e t e r n u s A m o r
Aria :: It's just... so hard not to react to what they're saying. I don't know, to be honest, I really feel sorry for these type of people who are constantly despicable and inconsiderate. They're closed-minded and can't see what's really happening. I guess this is what's happening to our society. :/

Yup, the society where we all think that disasters that happen like the one in Japan will not happen to them or to us, because we are raised with that very same thought in our heads, so they can be disrespectful to a situation that will probably never happen to them. But when it actually does happen, I can guarantee you and have lost a close one, they will come and bawl like children in the real world while they still troll, we all see it, but I will continue laughing at their misfortune, because it's simply the way we've created the internet society with the thought in mind "Who cares what I type nobody will know me".
Too long to read.
The only real reason people care about Japan is because they make your animus. If they didn't, this would have just come and gone like Haiti. :l
Couenne
The only real reason people care about Japan is because they make your animus. If they didn't, this would have just come and gone like Haiti. :l

Not true at all. If anime didn't exist Japan would still have one of the worlds most amazing cities, be a top place for fashion, and spike the curiosity of people.

I loved Japan before I even knew what anime was.

1,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I agree. heart
-sighs- Some people just don't understand. The one part that really bugs me when they begin to troll is, they don't even have a decent sense of correct grammar. -.-"

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Quote:
Last week, it was stated that Japan's situation has surpassed Chernobyl. So before you assume that we don't need to care anymore, this problem of radiation will continue on for at least a generation. So go ahead and say the disaster's over but in reality, it's not because people, families, will continue to be affected by this.

Actually, the news just said that they raised the severity level to a maximum 7, putting it on the same level as Chernobyl. Japan's situation didn't surpass Chernobyl--it was just put on the same severity level as the latter. Also according to Kyodo News, the release of radioactive materials from the Fukushima Daiichi plant is only 10% of that of Chernobyl. So even though the severity level was upped from 5 to 7, the percentage of radioactive materials that was released from Fukushima Daiichi is still comparably smaller than the amount released from Chernobyl. Even Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said that the raising of the severity level doesn't mean that the situation is "worsening." (but then again, a lot of Japanese citizens are losing trust in what their government is saying)

Overall though, I agree with everything else you said.

LilLukechan's Husband

Feline Millionaire

heart heart heart heart

LilLukechan's Husband

Feline Millionaire

ninja ninja ninja ninja ninja ninja ninja ninja

LilLukechan's Husband

Feline Millionaire

whee whee whee

7,350 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Popular Thread 100
YES

Love the post.
Except, from the sources I've read, Chernobyl is still way worse than Fukushima. The nuclear crisis level was raised to 7 because the radiation shot up for about an hour, but then it went down again. But, I didn't read this very recently so maybe you're right and it really got worse.
Cedo Nulli
YES

Love the post.
Except, from the sources I've read, Chernobyl is still way worse than Fukushima. The nuclear crisis level was raised to 7 because the radiation shot up for about an hour, but then it went down again. But, I didn't read this very recently so maybe you're right and it really got worse.

Quote:
Actually, the news just said that they raised the severity level to a maximum 7, putting it on the same level as Chernobyl. Japan's situation didn't surpass Chernobyl--it was just put on the same severity level as the latter. Also according to Kyodo News, the release of radioactive materials from the Fukushima Daiichi plant is only 10% of that of Chernobyl. So even though the severity level was upped from 5 to 7, the percentage of radioactive materials that was released from Fukushima Daiichi is still comparably smaller than the amount released from Chernobyl. Even Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said that the raising of the severity level doesn't mean that the situation is "worsening." (but then again, a lot of Japanese citizens are losing trust in what their government is saying)

Overall though, I agree with everything else you said.

Thank you for the clarification. (:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces