Welcome to Gaia! ::

Smoker

User Image

┎━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┒
x xxxxxxxxxx x
┖━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┚

For most of the night, Kit closed her eyes and sat in the uncomfortable wooden chair. It may have seemed like she was asleep, but she wasn't even slightly tired. She was just sore and felt dirty.

When the light started to slightly come out, Kit decided she would stretch her legs, and take a bath in the small tub in the room.

Kit left the bathroom door slightly cracked, but not on purpose. She didn't really care about Cain's wondering eyes anyway because it was her avatar's body, even if it closely resembled her own. Kit unequipped her robes, and turned on the tub and squirt in some soap. Soon, hot, bubbley water filled the tub, and she stepped in.

Kit's body disappeared in the bubbles, and she let out a sigh of relief. The warm water felt amazing on a sore body, and it was amazing how they could even capture that in a game. Kit sunk into the bathtub further, and closed her eyes. It had been a long time since she had taken a bubble bath.

Learned Noob

User Image

AIN x

W a k e x u p x a n d x f a c e x m e
D o n ' t x p l a y x d e a d x ' c a u s e x m a y b e
S o m e d a y xx w i l l x w a l k x a w a y x a n d x s a y . . .

Turning his head towards the window as daylight crept back up, he didn't bother to see what Kit was up to when she rose. It seemed neither of them had gotten much sleep. Although, his quick unintentional nap seemed to sustain him. Hearing the water running, Cain at last looked to see the bathroom door cracked open. She didn't even think to close it, let alone lock it. He could already see all the accusations of being a pervert the second he stepped anywhere near the door.

Sparing himself, Cain got up and thought to get breakfast. The food stall wasn't far, and by the time that he came back, Kit could still even be in the bath. Stretching his arms behind his back, he let out a yawn and exited the room. Worst case scenario, Kit had added him as a friend and a party member.

Leaving the inn, Cain had made it through the town's stone streets uneventfully until when he came across a boy by the food stall. Having to be around sixteen, the brunette boy was breathing heavily and leaning himself against against the stall's pillar. In his dirty and scratched up hands was a measly loaf of bread. Kid must be having it rough only recently, but at least he didn't seem strong enough to pose any threat. Cain found him easy to ignore.

"Two roseberry pastries and two ham bowls," he requested, the items moving to his inventory at the expense of just 150 gil. Already turning around, Cain only paused in his step when he heard footsteps shuffling behind him. He looked over his shoulder, annoyed.

"I-I can trade you for some food," the boy stammered, looking at the ground. After a moment, Cain turned his head back and continued on walking.

"Hey! Wait! Please! I can heal you and stuff! N-not very well, yet, but I can be of some use, somehow! Or I could pay you back if you add me, or-"

"Please. Why even bother? You're going to die within the first week of this game," Cain answered simply, trying to shake the kid off. Whatever he had to offer, Kit was already more than enough to worry about as a tag-along. What was worse, the kid seemed to be a newbie. When Cain chanced another glance behind him, the boy stood still in place, hurt clear on his face. The message had to get through sometime.

Entering through the inn's doors, Cain had made it close to the room when he found his hand repelled as soon as he reached for the handle. When he tried it again, the force was more painful. Hissing under his breath, Cain had to give credit to Kit's magic. She clearly wasn't useless. "Kit," he called, hoping she was out of the bath. "I brought food." At least he had an incentive.

It was not Kit's footsteps that greeted him immediately after he had called, however.

"Why are you still here?" Cain demanded, exasperated to see that the boy had followed him all the way to the inn after all.

"You're the only one I can rely on!"

"That sucks for you then," he muttered, too low for him to hear.

Smoker

User Image

x xxxxxxxxxx x

When Kit heard the door shut, she figured Cain had left. No one could come in her barrier, but they could leave. At least I have the room to myself. Cain wasn't noisy, but it was nice to be alone. She continued to bathe in peace.

"Kit, I brought food."

When her partner was back, Kit was fully clothed but in the bathroom drying her hair. At the mention of food, she threw the towel down, went to greet Cain, and take down her barrier.

"Sorry! Hold on," she called to him. As Kit reached for her staff, she heard a high voice that definitely did not belong to Cain. When the barrier was lowered, she opened the door only to find him standing with a noob.

"You're the only one I can rely on!"

She couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor guy, but they didn't need him trying to tag along with them. How did he even get past the first level?

"You're loud and have an annoying voice," she accused harshly in an attempt to scare him off. Taking a step out of the door way, so Cain could come in, Kit stared at the noob. "How do you know we won't kill you where you stand?"

Learned Noob

User Image

AIN x

Cain was pleasantly surprised when Kit had his back. He half-expected her to goad him into taking the kid under their wing. When she went as far as to threaten him, he watched to see if this guy would get the hint and leave them alone. He stood, clearly flustered, and his bright green eyes were fixated on the ground again.

"That's..." The boy clenched his face and looked up at them with eager eyes. "If you two don't help me, I will be dead anyway!" He got on his knees, begging to them. Cain leaned against the door frame, glancing at Kit. He wasn't moved, and he hoped she wouldn't cave either.

"What makes you think that we're so kind that we'll help you get ahead of us in a game of life or death?"

The boy continued to make his case as if he hadn't heard him. "I know you two think I just look like some noob, but I swear I'm more useful than I look! I... fought the boss with a few other people. When we won, they immediately turned on me and stole everything that I had. Weapons, armor, gil, everything! If you two would just help me back on my feet, I would forever be in your debt!"

Cain huffed. "You're missing the point."

"I'm not leaving until you help me!"

Smoker

User Image

x xxxxxxxxxx x

Kit laughed coldly as Cain spoke to the noob. He definitely had a point. It would be stupid to help him and risk him getting ahead, even if he would probably never catch up to them.

"We didn't ask for your life story," she said tiredly, taking a step closer to the boy. She pointed her staff at him as if she was going to cast a spell at him.

"If you really want us to help you... We can give you a quick death." Kit wasn't actually going to kill him of course, but he wasn't going to become her charity case either.

Learned Noob

User Image

AIN x

The boy swallowed as soon as Kit pointed her staff at him. Reluctantly, he got off his knees and looked at them both. At first, his eyes seemed to be filled with nothing but hopelessness. It was almost enough to even make Cain feel sorry, but in the next second, his eyes flickered with unmistakable anger. He said nothing, going back the direction he came from and leaving the building. So much for not leaving until they helped him.

"Oh, right. The food," Cain recalled out loud, handing one of each of the food he had bought to Kit. "We should go find out how to beat this second dimension. If that kid's right, people seem to be catching on by playing the game." No matter how dirty.

Smoker

User Image

x xxxxxxxxxx x

Kit almost regretted what she did. Almost, but not really. Lowering her staff, and letting out a sigh, she turned to head back into their room.

She took what was handed to her, and plopped onto the bed. "I agree.... We should beat at least two today. People are catching up, and it'll be dangerous." Not everyone in games was as nice as Cain had been to her. If someone thought either of them posed a threat, they would probably try to kill them. Even Cain would turn on her later if he wanted to survive the came, but until the higher levels, Kit wasn't worried. He needed her for now, and she even needed him.

Kit hung upside down on the bed, plopping the last bit of food into her mouth. "You know," she started, licking the crumbs off of her upper lip. "I bet that boss is somewhere in those mountains." The mountains in the distance were one of the distinct places of the dimension.

Learned Noob

User Image

AIN x

Kit had made a good point to try and jump the game by getting past two levels today. Tired of standing and the floor no longer appealing to him, he sat down on the bed near Kit as she hung upside down. He saved his pastry for later but the ham bowl was finished in the matter of a minute. A simple breakfast mixture of meat and something between bread and porridge, it tasted good regardless of whether or not Cain knew what it was.

When she brought up the mountains, Cain let his gaze turn to the window. It certainly was distinct, but it didn't look close either. To his knowledge, there was no way of teleporting either. If either of them had been a fairy or angel race, they probably could have made an easy travel route, but they weren't. They were stuck with their feet and whatever the game offered. He didn't expect much.

"Might as well give it a shot," he said. Noticing that Kit had finished her food, Cain opened the door while opening his inventory. His second dimension teleport came with a map, conveniently. "There's a path straight down to a desert which will turn into the mountain, but there's a shortcut if either of us can manage climbing some steep land."

Smoker

User Image

x xxxxxxxxxx x

"Climbing won't be a problem... Unless it is for you," Kit boasted, raising her eyebrows at Cain like she was challenging him.

She flipped backwards off of the bed, landing on her bottom. "We should pick up some health potions." Other than her request, Kit was ready as long as her partner was. Hopping onto her feet, she snagged her staff and walked out of their room in search of the store.

Kit had bought around 20 potions. She would probably only end up need one, but she decided to buy them in bulk so she didn't have to come back much. It would also be nice to have extra in case of an emergency.

Learned Noob

User Image

AIN x

At her challenge, Cain returned her expression with a smug grin as if to ask if she was kidding. "I just didn't want to be stuck carrying you, especially with all that you try to pack in one small figure." After yesterday, Cain assumed getting her two items instead of one was the safer route to go.

Following her out the room, Cain didn't bother to tell her he had enough potions to get himself by. He did need to sell the useless suit of armor that was just taking space in his inventory. As Kit made her trades, Cain easily sold the armor at a shop for 2,000 gil. At the same time, he spotted a pair of black gauntlets that went around the wrists and the palms of the hands. Scrutinizing it for a whole three seconds before buying it, he was quick to equip them and join Kit.

There was a main town square nearby the shopping area, and just on the edge of it were the open gates to leave what Cain took for the safe area. Safe from monsters, anyway. He made his way out, and from there, a wide and seemingly endless dirt path spread out before the both of them. Cain glanced up. Winged beasts of assorted appearances flew around the sky above them. "Maybe we won't have to worry about climbing after all," he said, his hand gesturing to the sky. "If you can lure one of them down here, that is." Though Cain's beast taming skill was one of his lowest ones, catching one to fly for a short while might be feasible. Leaping up into the sky and getting one down, not so much.

Smoker

User Image

x xxxxxxxxxx x

Kit was slightly relieved when Cain came up with an idea that didn't involve an extremely long bath. Flying would definitely cut a lot of time off of their trip, and all Kit had to do was lure one down.

Aiming her staff at one of the random flying beasts, she pondered at what spell she would use. Anything too destructive would probably kill the monster. Ahhh. That will work, she thought to herself. A conjuration spell would do the trick, and Kit was able to control anything she conjured up.

A bright light appeared from her staff, and a large spider appeared on the ground. It crawled around for a bit, until Kit selected it's target. A web shot out from the spider, snagging the flying monster and reeling it in.

"You're welcome," she told Cain, as the creature rapidly hopped around on the ground in front of them, trying to escape the web tied to its leg.

Learned Noob

User Image

AIN x

Initially confused as to why Kit would conjure up a spider of all things, Cain could only watch with slight awe when its web shot up all the way into the sky and managed to pull a weird bat-looking thing down to the surface. At least, the wings resembled that of bats. The rest of it looked like an overgrown beach ball with an eye attached to it. Only one of them would be able to sit on top of it, with the other hanging on its foot. Cain shook off the ominous feeling that he would be stuck with the second option.

He laughed without humor when Kit seemed to be prodding a "thank you" from him. "You should thank me for saving us all this trouble." He approached the creature and went to work. As funny as it was to see the creature struggle frantically under Kit's spell, Cain couldn't stand and watch forever.

The monster had to be a lower-level, so it wouldn't be so hard to tame. Still, Cain had only entertained beast-taming for one week before deciding it was better to focus his skills better. He just hoped he didn't accidentally kill the thing. It would be a pain to ask Kit to catch another. Taking out his broadsword, he drew it towards the monster as if threatening to stab it. In the game, taming monsters was simply about projecting yourself as their master, similar to some concept Cain had heard about dogs. Of course, there were some game statistics involved, but those were all boring details.

When it realized Cain's movements, the monster stopped bouncing around and stared at him for a moment. He couldn't say being gawked at by one giant eyeball was not creepy, but he held his ground and drew his sword closer. In response, the monster viciously lurched for him and nearly ripped the web in the process. Making it a point to not look at Kit, knowing she must be judging in some form, Cain stomped his foot on its head the moment it fell back to the ground.

"Listen, damn it," he said impatiently. The monster continued to wriggle under his foot for a few seconds longer, before finally settling down in defeat. It was a rather anti-climatic capture.

"Would you like to be the one to get on it first?" Cain offered, feigning kindness.

Smoker

User Image

x xxxxxxxxxx x

"You wouldn't have been able to do it without me," Kit retorted when Cain had said she should be thanking him.

She held in her laughter as Cain struggled with the monster, highly amused. She wouldn't have been able to do any better though. She didn't have the beast tamer skill. Kit jokingly clapped when Cain had finally tamed the monster.

"Would you like to be the one to get on it first?"

She took him up on his offer, climbing onto the monster. The monster blinked, staring at her. It was actually kind of cute in a creepy way, but Kit didn't voice her opinion.

"I hope this thing can even fly...." Kit was mentally prepared for Cain to say something about her weight, but shrugged it off. "Its wings are so tiny compared to its body....." It was similar to a bee. She had always found it weird how those things were even able to fly.

Learned Noob

User Image

AIN x

Cain was a little dismayed when the skill didn't level after the trouble, but it was a low level after all. He tried to ignore Kit's fake-applause at his capture. How had he chosen such a perfectly annoying comrade? Then his thoughts returned to the boy from earlier and he settled on the fact that he could have done worse. Kit wasn't permanent anyhow. Truthfully, she did seem to be a great help in getting through the game and wasn't the worst company in the world either. Of course, that might have been his end-of-the-world mentality talking.

Cain stood by the monster and nudged it with his knee to move. The monster flapped its wings and flew up, despite Kit's words, giving Cain just enough time to grab onto a foot. As soon as he did, the monster seemed to read his intent and soared towards the direction of the mountains.

Too busy thinking about the mechanics of it all, Cain didn't realize that he was actually flying until he saw the clouds going past him. His heart seemed to almost stop for a moment, and he looked down below at the land before them. They weren't so high as to see the whole land, but enough to see the town behind him and a vast spread of grasslands. It all seemed so untouched. Further off to the side, he thought he saw a group of people slaughtering monsters at the side opposite to the desert. Perhaps those people were lost, if Cain and Kit could be that lucky.

Right when the mountains were close in range, the monster's flying suddenly faltered. "You okay up there... thing?" he asked, looking up at the monster. He didn't know if talking did any good, but what else could he do? In response, the monster immediately dived down, straight into a shallow pool of water.

Emerging from the water, Cain combed back the bangs out of his eyes and gasped for air. The monster, of course, died from the impact. "I think we were too much for it after all," he commented. In response there was a giggle, but it sounded nothing like Kit's voice. Annoyingly, the giggle was soon accompanied by another, which was followed by another until eventually it seemed as if everything around the pool was laughter.

Smoker

User Image

x xxxxxxxxxx x

Kit was actually surprised when the one-eyed bee bat flew. It was actually doing a good job flying, and trying its hardest. They headed in the direction of the mountains, and soared through the sky. The clouds were so close that you could even touch them. If you were that high in the real world, you would probably lose oxygen and slowly suffocate.

Right as Kit was about to try to reach out, and touch a cloud, they were doing a dive bomb towards the ground. She let out a scream, accidentally letting go of her staff.

If they had feel anywhere but in the water, they would have died. She would never listen to anymore short cuts that Cain had to offer again, especially if it involved flying on a bee bat. Kit spit out a mouthful of the pond water, and noticed something was missing. "Hey... Have you seen my-" Suddenly, giggles surrounded them, cutting her off.

Huge monsters came into view that were shaped like boxes with arms and legs. As they walked towards the pond, they giggled and showed their sharp teeth. "My staff," she finally finished, looking around frantically, her eyes settling in the distance.

Her staff was just across the river, wedged in between two rocks. Kit took a deep breath, diving underneath the water and making her way towards the edge of the pond. Once she came up for air, she reached for her staff and sighed in relief. If it had fallen any further, that would have turned out way worse.

Kit quickly turned around, expecting to be able to see Cain off in the distance, but something blocked her view. As she looked up, trying to figure out what it was, she was knocked off of her feet, a painful cry escaping her lips. The culprit was the boxes, and one hit took away ten percent of her health. As Kit attempted to get back onto her feet and fight, she was struck again. They were fast.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff